Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kroger has fuel sales. Fuel prices have been low for at least one year. Kroger's comparable fuel sales have decreased.

I am not overly worried about Kroger. It continues to perform well. Kroger may be at a point where it needs to plot its long-term direction for five years.
Even there, you need to make an apples-to-apples comparison. You look at customer counts, gallonage and competition.

You also need to split up the stations based on whether it is in the C-store group or whether it's only the supermarkets.

There are some locations where using a Kroger supermarket gas station flows well with traffic. The station is located on the perimeter and along a main road, like a regular station. At the Kroger store nearest me, the station is wedged into the back of the lot and I virtually never use that station.

For some reason, they also never bothered to update the canopy to the latest style at the station nearest me.

A "real" gas station selects real estate specifically suited to this purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM

800 posts, read 951,721 times
I'm kind of aghast by people's concerns. What is all of this stuff people are buying? Why do you care so much about these giant, faceless corporations, and fancy some sort of personal connection with them? A gas station in one part of the parking lot versus another? It's not as if you're walking 1/4 mile to it!

Old 08-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I'm kind of aghast by people's concerns. What is all of this stuff people are buying? Why do you care so much about these giant, faceless corporations, and fancy some sort of personal connection with them? A gas station in one part of the parking lot versus another? It's not as if you're walking 1/4 mile to it!
My personal connection is that Kroger isn't controlled by any robber barons, they treat their employees well and they provide a good product to their customer.

Compare your nearby Kroger to a robber-baron owned Jewel store in Chicagoland or a Kmart.

Look at what the robber barons are trying to do to Marathon. They are trying to make them spin off Speedway. Then what they typically do is cut, cut, cut, cut, cut and the employees get squeezed.

That's my main interest in making sure Kroger remains successful.

Plus, retail and site selection is just something I enjoy as kind of a hobby.

Re: My point above about where the station is located. Who the hell is going to cross 50 traffic humps and dodge people with shopping carts to use a Kroger station located at the back of their store? That's also important here.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Costco, with its extremely generous return policies, likely has a much better handle on quality. I buy most electronic goods there, and don't even look at Wal-Mart for such purchases.

Costco pretty much like Home Depot and Lowes - stick all returns on the backs of the vendor.

I worked in the return center of a tool manufacturer. 99%+ of the returns were perfectly good products that were returned at the completion of the home project. We would test them, clean them, repackage them as "refurbished" and sell them back to Home Depot so that the "tool rental" could continue.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Costco pretty much like Home Depot and Lowes - stick all returns on the backs of the vendor.

I worked in the return center of a tool manufacturer. 99%+ of the returns were perfectly good products that were returned at the completion of the home project. We would test them, clean them, repackage them as "refurbished" and sell them back to Home Depot so that the "tool rental" could continue.
Walmart does that too. A buddy of mine is the US attorney for a company that supplies TV's to Walmart. They are forced to take back all returns. They run them through refurbishing and most of them have nothing wrong.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Walmart does that too. A buddy of mine is the US attorney for a company that supplies TV's to Walmart. They are forced to take back all returns. They run them through refurbishing and most of them have nothing wrong.

That sounds about right. By a large flat screen right after Christmas and return it the Monday after the Super Bowl.

Sure, it is easy for the retailer to pat themselves on the back for being "consumer friendly" BUT ... the costs of these liberal return policies have to be built into the price of the goods.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

Here's a thought. If you don't find the thread interesting, rather than being "aghast" and telling all of us about it, just save yourself time and trouble by not reading it.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This represents a massive cost-cutting and restructuring potential, if done intelligently to retain local identity and merchandising.
I don't believe Kroger has changed the name of acquired chains in all cases such as Macy's has done. Their Harris Teeter division retains its original banner and continues to perform well in its core markets.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I don't believe Kroger has changed the name of acquired chains in all cases such as Macy's has done. Their Harris Teeter division retains its original banner and continues to perform well in its core markets.
They've done some strategic renaming, but for the most part they've left the purchased chains alone. In my experience, however, a Baker's looks and feels just like a Kroger though. But that local name still makes all the difference.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:38 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Kroger generally doesn't change the name of its acquisitions, but will rebanner/consolidate stores on a market to market basis (see: Smith's/Fred Meyer/Fry's - Fry's/Fry's Marketplace in AZ, or the rebannering of Copp's stores to Pick N Save in Wisconsin)

Harris Teeter and Mariano's are a bit different since they don't use any of the Kroger decor packages.

Here in North Carolina, Macy's never really had a huge footprint due in part to the proliferation of Belk stores. I'd describe both as being in the same tier, but Belk's clothing is a little more "southern" and "preppy".Hecht's built a few new stores in NC back in the early-mid '00s, but Macy's has not built a single new store in NC ever since they took over Hecht's (understandable to an extent, since no new malls were built from 2006-2014). Belk OTOH, started putting up stores in larger open air centers during this time period.

I'd put Dillard's in the same boat as Macy's in NC, even though Dillard's came in via the acquisition of Ivey's. (Macy's came in via Hecht's, which was based around DC)

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 08-18-2017 at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati