Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM

80 posts, read 344,800 times

Advertisements

"One of the most congested peripheral corridors in the nation is the stretch of Greater Cincinnati's own beltway, I-275, as it brushes the topside of Hamilton County to scoop up I-75 from Dayton and I-71 from Columbus before sending them on their converging way to and through inner neighborhoods of the central city."

See National Geographic article on Cincinnati:

Urban Development, City Living, Urbanization, Urban Growth - National Geographic

I moved here six months ago and sorely regret it! Am getting fat from always been stuck in in my car and in traffic jams -- have you seen rush hour on 275?

This is one congested, sprawl-stricken city. Think twice about your daily quality of life before you accept that relocation package! (Of course, if you're coming from LA this may be moot!)

The air quality/asthma and allergy indexes are not good either. Just do your research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
You should probably replace "Cincinnati" with "The Suburbs". lol ... Me being caught in a bad traffic jam is very, very rare ... and I live in Cincinnati.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM

257 posts, read 608,977 times
That's funny. I drive all around the Cincinnati Metro area each day for work, and I'm not getting fat...

If traffic bothers you so much maybe you should get a GPS w/traffic routing capabilities, or live closer to where you work.

I think there are ways to complain about situations... and ways to fix them for yourself... I suppose I just choose to be in the latter category.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
I have lived in Cinti, Detroit and New Jersey....Let me tell you, Cinti is a walk in the park compared to the other 2. I would give top dollar to drive in that traffic everyday...

Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Shoot. I'd do anything to get back my old 16-minute, 11-mile commute from Madisonville to downtown; now that I'm in Philadelphia, it takes me 35 minutes to drive 13 miles to work, and if I took the freeway, my commute would be even longer!

Where did you move from, chartbury? Where are you working/living now? Perhaps we can help you ease that commute some.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM

80 posts, read 344,800 times
In Montgomery area and too close to Deerfield, Mason etc. Came from Cleveland suburbs which probably have the easiest commutes in any major city plus the beautiful metroparks for walking in and trains like Chicago. Cinti needs a rapid transit system.

Last edited by chartbury; 04-10-2008 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Red face A Gentle Wrist-Slap For Chartbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
"One of the most congested peripheral corridors in the nation is the stretch of Greater Cincinnati's own beltway, I-275, as it brushes the topside of Hamilton County to scoop up I-75 from Dayton and I-71 from Columbus before sending them on their converging way to and through inner neighborhoods of the central city."

See National Geographic article on Cincinnati:

Urban Development, City Living, Urbanization, Urban Growth - National Geographic

I moved here six months ago and sorely regret it! Am getting fat from always been stuck in in my car and in traffic jams -- have you seen rush hour on 275?

This is one congested, sprawl-stricken city. Think twice about your daily quality of life before you accept that relocation package! (Of course, if you're coming from LA this may be moot!)

The air quality/asthma and allergy indexes are not good either. Just do your research!
LOL...once again, I step into the phone booth and become--- TA-TA-TA-TAAAH!---Captain Catfish, Defender Of Cincinnati and Southwest Ohio...Chartbury, I live in Middletown, in Butler County, which is a good 30-35 miles north of Cincy proper...my job is in St. Bernard, which means I have about a (depending on the weather and the skills of my fellow commuters LOL)
35-40 minute commute each day, which also equates to a 60-65 mile round trip each day!

Do I get stuck in traffic occasionally? You betcha...but that commute, and its sometimes jammed traffic, is MY time...I use it to collect my thoughts, listen to a little music, and to generally put on my 'game face' for that day...I've learned to adapt to the adversity, and make my situation better...

Does Cincy have warts? Yep...does that stop me from loving the place and embracing its positives while finding constructive ways to deal with the negatives? Nope...as others have said, there are places that are far more sprawling and congested and utterly problematic than Cincy---and I'm of the belief that folks here should take a little more time to realize what we have, and be grateful for what we don't

Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Ooooh. Chartbury, I feel your pain.

I had to deal with that same transition about 25 years ago (I used to live in Painesville). It was rough, but after about 8 or 9 years I'd decided Cincinnati wasn't so bad after all. The original plan always was to move back to the Cleveland area (go Browns), but after considering the five months of winter vs. five months of summer issue, I never did move back. My sinuses hated me for it.

A lot of people will agree with you that Cincinnati needs a light rail system. Unfortunately, the majority of Hamilton County voters shot down that idea several years ago. Keep the faith!

So ... You live in Montgomery? Or do you work there? Where are you commuting to every day?

As for the parks, yes, Metroparks are wonderful. Check out some of Cincinnati's parks, too: Ault Park is a personal favorite, California Nature Preserve has some cool trails, Mt. Airy Forest is huge, Eden Park has great views. Closer to where you are is Sharon Woods in Sharonville, which also has a variety of trails, golf course, boats, bike rentals, etc.

Hamilton County Park District -- Cincinnati, Ohio

City of Cincinnati -Parks Department

Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,234 times
I would diagree. I moved to Cincy at 23 and never left other than job related transfers. It is a great City with a revitalizing Downtown/Uptown area. The City has jumped on the bandwagon of economic redevelopment. It has very diversified cultural institutions that rival any major city's. The people (native and transplants such as myself) are great. The College Hill Neighborhood of City of Cincinnati offers very affordable housing, is "20 minutes" to anywhere in Greater Cincinnati. Traffic gets congested, but it is not a LA, houston, Dallas, etc type of congestion! It is for singles, newlyweds, families and even those of us nearing retirement!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 AM

28 posts, read 109,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
In Montgomery area and too close to Deerfield, Mason etc. Came from Cleveland suburbs which probably have the easiest commutes in any major city plus the beautiful metroparks for walking in and trains like Chicago. Cinti needs a rapid transit system.
Cleveland has the highway infastruture of a much larger metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati