Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,905 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Cincinnati for work soon. I have no idea where to look for housing. My main concern is that as a single woman I want the neighborhood to be safe. I will initially rent and if all works out later buy. I need a house as I have 3 dogs with me. I can pay about 1000 - 1100/mo in rent. I don't mind a short commute to work (say 30 mins). Any suggestions? Which neighborhoods should I flat out avoid?
THANKS to all who help out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
Hyde Park area

Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,428 times
Default Neighborhoods

Try using craigslist for rental properties in the Cincinnati area. Here's the link

craigslist: cincinnati, OH classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Hyde Park area
x2

Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
x2
Are you guys saying Hyde Park is where she should look or flat out avoid? LOL

Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,516 times
You might want to look at Glendale. There are some rental properties available, and the community is very safe. Roughly 30 minutes drive time downtown.... give or take. You can CL Glendale for rentals. There were some not long ago.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM

236 posts, read 695,395 times
Roselawn or Avondale have many vacant lots for your dogs to play not to mention they'll have plenty of opporunities to protect you...

Go to Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt. Lookout...or any suburb

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 AM

Dancing Gato believe it or not there are a LOT of neighborhoods in Cincinnati I would feel safe living in and they are not only Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, Oakley which seem to be the first neighborhoods to always pop up on these threads. What part of town is your job going to be? I agree with Mike Dunn, log onto Craigs list to see what you can find. I would suggest Hartwell but also the neighborhood next to us is Wyoming which I think of as a very dog friendly community. You always see people out on walks and there is a restuaurant on the corner of Springfield Pike & Wyoming Ave which has an outdoor doggie fountain for a quick stop and drink. But there are many more neighborhoods that you can look into that you will get more bang for your buck. All those neighborhoods I mentioned above (except Hartwell) are a little more costly than other neighborhoods in the city or on the outer limits of the City.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
there are a LOT of neighborhoods in Cincinnati I would feel safe living in and they are not only Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, Oakley which seem to be the first neighborhoods to always pop up on these threads.
Hyde Park x4

I agree that plenty of other neighborhoods in the Metro are safe and nice, But Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt Lookout, and Mt Adams are always mentioned first for a reason. (Also keep in mind that if you literally mean Cincinnati city limits these are hands-down the best neighborhoods for a young professional.)

But I agree, Wyoming and some surrounding areas are nice too.

However, when I read: young single professional transplant with 3 dogs looking for safe neighborhood and can pay 1100 a month rent ... that just screams Hyde Park or surrounding neighborhoods. Honestly, 1100 a month might be a tad too low depending on your entire criteria. But in this market, it's very much worth a shot.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Hyde Park x4

I agree that plenty of other neighborhoods in the Metro are safe and nice, But Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt Lookout, and Mt Adams are always mentioned first for a reason. (Also keep in mind that if you literally mean Cincinnati city limits these are hands-down the best neighborhoods for a young professional.)
...sorry I cannot agree with that last comment. Dont get me wrong please, I am not trying to say anything bad about those neighborhoods BUT I think of their housing stock as overpriced and unrealistic for a lot of people seeking safe & affordable housing. And yes, that is possible in the City. We all share the same City services in the CIty of CIncinnati, we all have CPS schools but my home in Hartwell would cost probably close to $300,000 in Hyde Park where instead we bought it for $92,000 back in 2001 (was 2 family, now single family 4bed 2full bath, 2nd floor laundry, brand new kitchen & 2 baths--28 new windows in next few months) and made improvements and are enjoying a nice amount of equity in a time the housing issues are disrupting many lives. If I have the option, I prefer more home for the money and if I can get it in an equally safe neighborhood, great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati