Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:17 AM

6 posts, read 20,735 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Cincinnati Ohio and I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm a recent college graduate and I would have a job near blue ash. I'm looking for what would be a good area for me to live in. Below is kind of a list of the things I'm looking for in order of importance

Most Important
1. A younger crowd so I can meet some people my own age
2. Some place with an active night life. Near by bars and restaurants

Moderately Important
3. Close to downtown
4. Safe location

Least Important
5. Near by park
6. Reasonable distance to work 30-40 minute drive
7. Apartments for under $1000 a month

If anyone has any advice I'm all ears. I really know nothing about Cincinnati Ohio and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've heard a few good things about the following in some of the forums.

Oakley
Mt. Adams
Mainstrasse Village
Clifton
Prospect Hill

If anyone has any comments about these places and if they sound like a good match for me that'd be great. Any other recommendations or really any advice on places to live in Cincinnati Ohio would be great. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,565 times
I lived in Cincy in my mid-to-late 20's and worked downtown, everyone in my "crowd" lived in either Hyde Park area, Mt. Lookout, Oakley or Mt Adams.

Mt. Adams is a great area, distinctive places, good bars (though they get crazy crowded on the weekends), and very good access to downtown.

Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout/Oakley are all in the same area of town. Mt Lookout was called Mt. Workout by some of my friends, because there are people running/walking/exercising all of the place. Several good single joints here (though like Mt Adams) they get packed on the weekend -- specifically MLT's. You can get a better deal in Oakley on rent depending on the place, and it has it's own little downtown to hang out in.

I went to Mainstrasse a few times, but not a lot. Since most of my friends where on the Ohio side, we usually hung out over there.

I'm told by my friends that still live in Cincy that downtown is starting to become a more favorable location to live for the young single scene.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
Best Bets
Downtown
Mt. Adams
OTR Gateway Quarter
Hyde Park
Oakley

Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 20,735 times
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking around at your suggestions. I think I'll have to take a look at all of those places when I get the chance to go out to Cincinnati. Right now though Mt. Adams looks the most promising it sounds like it's an active place with some young people and easy access to the downtown. Thanks again for all your suggestions and if you have any other advice or comments about the places you mentioned I'd be glad to hear them.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
you'll like it in mt adams

Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,914 times
I'll just echo what others have said. Based on your criteria, look at Mt. Adams and Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt. Lookout.

I was in a similar situation when I moved to Cincy earlier this year, and I had similar criteria for where I wanted to live. I moved to Hyde Park, and I'm very happy with the neighborhood

Regarding Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt Lookout ... although they are 5+ miles from downtown, it's an incredibly short drive without much hassle at all. This let's you be in a nice "central" location, which makes any trip relatively short regardless of whether it's South to Downtown/NKY or north to the 'burbs for work or shopping.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
Once you walk around Mt. Adams a bit, you will want to do anything within your power to secure a place there. The only problem is that there is usually a waiting list for rentals.

Prospect Hill is only a couple of streets bordered by a very poor area of town with not many rentals or people your age.

Oakley/Hyde Park/Mt Lookout are all good choices and you can go from one to the other for nightlife if you live in any of them.

Downtown is great for 30somethings or couples but there didn't seem to be as many 20somethings that lived down there when I lived on 4th last year. Sometimes it can feel a little cold and empty since many bars and restaurants close very early. Still, when there are things going on downtown, it really is a cool place.

Mainstrasse is a little strip of bars surrounded by an extremely beat up, poor neighborhood. It seems charming at first, but the seedy side eventually shows itself. Go there for fun.... not to live.

I have never been to Clifton so can't help there.

(btw... what is a "gateway quarter"... lol. It sounds like a name they made up last week and is kind of redundant. It's like saying "avenue boulevard" or "district village". Is there some history to this name?)

Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,914 times
Sorry to repost so soon, but I also wanted to suggest "East Hyde Park." It's not an official neighborhood - it's just part of HP, but people will know what you're talking about.

It's full of young professionals, and probably a lot younger and cheaper than some of the other options mentioned.

It's also a quick hop to Red Bank road, then up to i-71 and your job - all while staying within 15-ish minutes from downtown. I think the #69 bus to downtown runs right through as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
(btw... what is a "gateway quarter"... lol. It sounds like a name they made up last week and is kind of redundant. It's like saying "avenue boulevard" or "district village". Is there some history to this name?)
I think it's just a real estate marketing name. I guess it means that it's the "gateway" from downtown to OTR, but I think that's it.

Regardless, it's a good strategy, because you want a name to distinguish yourself from the rest of OTR when selling condos. It lets you disassociate from the bad parts of the neighborhood, while keeping the positive imagery of historic/urban/etc.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Once you walk around Mt. Adams a bit, you will want to do anything within your power to secure a place there. The only problem is that there is usually a waiting list for rentals.
Maybe the situation has changed but isn't parking in and around Mt. Adams a real PITA?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Maybe the situation has changed but isn't parking in and around Mt. Adams a real PITA?
For visitors, yep... for apartments with assigned or off-street parking, nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: