Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM

43 posts, read 172,914 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

This will be mine and my husband's first christmas in Cincinnati. We have family coming in from PA and I want to plan some fun outings while they're here. I know the zoo has lights and fountain square has ice skating, etc. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any other fun things to do around Christmas time in Cincinnati. Please share! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 AM

66 posts, read 189,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDerringer0807 View Post
Hello All!

This will be mine and my husband's first christmas in Cincinnati. We have family coming in from PA and I want to plan some fun outings while they're here. I know the zoo has lights and fountain square has ice skating, etc. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any other fun things to do around Christmas time in Cincinnati. Please share! Thanks!
Hi. It's always fun to go see a show/play at a theatre and then have dinner downtown or in Mt. Adams. Many families have a tradition of attending The Christmas Carol at Playhouse in the Park (I highly recommend). There is also The Nutcracker by Cincinnati Ballet and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra Christmas show. Not sure of your dates, but there are always Christmas events at US Bank Arena such as Tran-siberian Orchestra and Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Also, not sure if you have kids coming in or not, but there is Scuba Santa at Newport Aquarium, Holiday Fest at the Beach, the holiday displays at Cincinnati Museum Center, the North Pole Express train ride in Lebanon, and many light shows scattered around the metro.( ex. Sharon Woods Holiday in Lights, Light up the Levee). I'd also check out your local community's calendar as many towns have holiday festivals/parades. I hope this helped and have a merry first Christmas here!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 AM

246 posts, read 1,049,198 times
Don't forget the holiday train display at the Duke Energy building (corner of 4th & Main streets downtown). If you go to Fountain Square for ice skating, the train display is just a short walk away.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Zoo, Fountain Square Ice Skating (get down there early because the line gets ridiculous!), eat at Via Vite after skating for dinner and it's on the square as well, then head over to Perfect North Slopes 20-30 mins away for affordable snow skiing with fun slopes!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM

230 posts, read 626,507 times
I can remember going to the Krohn Conservatory when I was little and they had the live manger and the conservatory was open as well. Do they still do that ?? We incorporated that with a trip into the city. Just seemed to be everything that was right with the Christmas season back then. Anyway, have fun !!!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
I can remember going to the Krohn Conservatory when I was little and they had the live manger and the conservatory was open as well. Do they still do that ?? We incorporated that with a trip into the city. Just seemed to be everything that was right with the Christmas season back then. Anyway, have fun !!!
Yup, the live manger scene opens this Friday . . .

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 AM

43 posts, read 172,914 times
Thanks! These are all great suggestions! Keep 'um coming!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
The sculpture park in Hamilton (Pyramid Hill) has a lights festival - all throughout the park. Its a really nice display if you like the drive-through lights fests.

A lot of the small towns around cinci are having their Xmas celebrations / parades. I don't know where you check for those (I just moved to Lebanon from out of state 1.5 years ago, so I'm still learning how one finds out about things) but they can be very nice. We just went to Waynesville's and Lebanon's this past weekend.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
My very favorite thing to do each Christmas is to go to the manger display at the Paul R. Young Funeral Home in Mt. Healthy. It's on Hamilton Ave. just north of Cross County Highway (Reagan). The characters/people are lifelike wax figures and they have live animals that you can touch and feed. We always fed them carrots. They had a donkey and sheep that were just so friendly. Sometimes there were animal babies there too and it's all free! (Don't be put off that it's at a funeral home because it's really beautiful and they let you climb on the split rail fence to look at everything and touch the animals. They are just great.) I grew up near there and we walked up at least once each year. When I had kids of my own we dragged them there as well and they loved it too.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
My very favorite thing to do each Christmas is to go to the manger display at the Paul R. Young Funeral Home in Mt. Healthy. It's on Hamilton Ave. just north of Cross County Highway (Reagan). The characters/people are lifelike wax figures and they have live animals that you can touch and feed. We always fed them carrots. They had a donkey and sheep that were just so friendly. Sometimes there were animal babies there too and it's all free! (Don't be put off that it's at a funeral home because it's really beautiful and they let you climb on the split rail fence to look at everything and touch the animals. They are just great.) I grew up near there and we walked up at least once each year. When I had kids of my own we dragged them there as well and they loved it too.
Dee, last year I took my kids there too. Added bonus: One of the donkeys on display was giving birth! Lots of explanations on the ride home from THAT outing . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati