Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM

65 posts, read 149,609 times

Advertisements

I want to take a trip to either the Northern California redwood coast to lower San Francisco, Big Basin and possibly up to the Del Norte Redwoods/Avenue of the Giants area OR take a trip up to Lake Tahoe and also visit Yosemite on the way back. Which area do you prefer more or you think there is more to see at? I don't necessarily have to have nightlife but I just want to see alot of beautiful scenery. Do any of you have a preference whether you prefer the California Coast Redwoods or Tahoe/Yosemite mountain areas?

Oh and this trip would be for about 4-5 days approximately and I'm from Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,955,110 times
I would choose Lake Tahoe/Sierra Nevada Mountains. But you should really have a good time on both of those trips, I would think; they are both beautiful.

Bottom Line: Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I would sure like to take about a month-long trip to the area, just to escape the raging heat/humidity of North Texas.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,830,420 times
I'd go with Lake Tahoe/Yosemite.
You really can't go wrong exploring either of the two regions though.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:47 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,955 times
the sierras are better

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM

48 posts, read 158,323 times
The Sierra Nevada is one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in our country. If you go that way, I'd also consider checking out King's Canyon. I know I would.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I want to take a trip to either the Northern California redwood coast to lower San Francisco, Big Basin and possibly up to the Del Norte Redwoods/Avenue of the Giants area OR take a trip up to Lake Tahoe and also visit Yosemite on the way back. Which area do you prefer more or you think there is more to see at? I don't necessarily have to have nightlife but I just want to see alot of beautiful scenery. Do any of you have a preference whether you prefer the California Coast Redwoods or Tahoe/Yosemite mountain areas?

Oh and this trip would be for about 4-5 days approximately and I'm from Southern California.
I have never done it but if I had more time I would LOVE to take a long car trip up the "Pacific Coast Highway" aka California Rte 1. Stopping at places like Santa Barbara, the San Luis Obispo area, Bug Sur, Monterey and San Francisco. Then continue over the Golden Gate up to Redwood Country.

Maybe some day!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,390,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have never done it but if I had more time I would LOVE to take a long car trip up the "Pacific Coast Highway" aka California Rte 1. Stopping at places like Santa Barbara, the San Luis Obispo area, Bug Sur, Monterey and San Francisco. Then continue over the Golden Gate up to Redwood Country.

Maybe some day!
I've done it before. It was wicked, especially Highway 1 between SLO and Monterey. Big Sur was so awe inspiring, I don't even know where to begin.

@OP: You can't go wrong either way. The Sierras this time of year are beautiful, but significantly more crowded than the Northern Coast. Yosemite is bound to be a traffic jam no matter where you enter from. However, the closer you get to SF along the coast you are, the more people there will be.

It's hard to compare the two. They are beautiful in their own ways. I totally envy you for this choice In 4-5 days, you COULD do both, but not see the entirety. If you're starting from SoCal, then the Sierras are significantly more accessible than the Northern coast. Take that into account when planning your trip.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
I've done both and while both unique and beautiful I'd probably opt for Tahoe/Yosemite. One of the nicest drives I have ever taken was Hwy 49 heading from Placerville through San Andreas and the old mining towns of Angels camp and Columbia (Columbia SHP) towards Yosemite. Very unusual landscape as the road travels along the fault line. When I get that way again, I plan on dedicating a better part of a week to see more of Yosemite Valley and the backcountry beyond.

Had the privledge of seeing Lady Bird Johnson Grove in Redwood NP (on our honeymoon) on a nice September day with virtually no one else in the park with the fog drifting in and out of the massive trees. It was eerily quiet and we felt as if we had stepped back in time thousands of years. If you choose the costal route, make a point of visiting Ferndale and it's many brightly painted gingerbread houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City