Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you pick?? Houston or New Orleans
Houston 124 47.51%
New Orleans 119 45.59%
Neither;I'd rather put needles in my eyes because I'm just that pathetic. 18 6.90%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 05:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Man, they make up stuff folks say all the time. Like they said I made Dallas seem like SLC when it came to its black population. I just said it isn't as rich and cultured as Houston's, despite being similar sizes. LOL.
I see that. I thought Dallas had a noticeably smaller one to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And you saying that Houston is a larger version of Baton Rouge is where we will agree to disagree. And now that’s generic suburbia? Heh. This is pretty much what the gulf coast looks like.
You mean the link in your previous post of post war suburbia? I mean, yeah that's generic suburbia. Maybe you sent the wrong link or something but that's definitely generic. Most of the country looks like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Culture: Houston. Its more cosmopolitan than New Orleans with a good community for many different groups.

Entertainment: New Orleans. Otherwise, this is too one-sided.

Food: Tie. I actually prefer the food offered in Houston but people are going to jump on me if it seems like I am not raving over New Orlean's local cuisine.

Quality of Life: Houston. New Orleans has lower incomes, higher poverty rates, and a lower life expectancy. The only wash seems to be education attainment, in which more New Orleanians earn high school degrees while more Houstonians earn bachelor's or higher.

People: Houston. Maybe it is because most New Orleanians I've met are those who moved to DFW following Katrina, but they are generally much ruder and entitled than those I've met from Houston, who I considered laid back and friendly, albeit cocky. I've met some people who lost nearly everything with Harvey and none of them have the same attitude.

Transportation: Houston. Louisiana roads are just horrible; I don't have an idea what y'all mean-you'll know your in Texas from Louisiana the moment your car stops bouncing.

Overall: Houston. Its only problem, in my eyes, is the humidity and large share of the economy connected to oil, but humidity isn't any better in New Orleans and it isn't like the economy there is anything to write home about. I think

In my opinion, Houston feels more like DFW, and Shreveport feels more like DFW, than Houston feels like New Orleans. I used to travel to the Shreveport area a lot and know others who did the same or have lived in both and they seem to agree about the similarities. Also, in some ways, Houston is the best fit for the stereotypical Texan city-strongest Southern accent, dependency on oil, sprawly (density below that of Dallas), and diverse thanks to an "established" Black and Hispanic population as well as new migrants from Asia, Africa, and the rest of the USA. The largest stereotype it doesn't fit is being in a desert, but none of the major American cities in Texas do.
New Orleans has more than local cuisine. If I jump on your back, it'll be because people act like we don't serve anything other than crawfish.

Houston roads are almost as bad as New Orleans. The thing is that your freeways are magnificent. But those roads, no way. I drive a lowered car and Houston is horrible when it comes to surface streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 05:48 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Which city do you prefer as far as culture,entertainment, food, people, quality of life, etc

My opinion:

Culture: New Orleans. Houston is more diverse, but New Orleans have a much stronger identity and richer culture.

Entertainment: Tie. I say tie because while New Orleans has better nightlife and more of a party town; I feel Houston gives you more variety as far as attractions.

Food: Tie. New Orleans has AMAZING food, but Houston does as well!

Quality of Life: Houston. I dont want to talk down on New Orleans because it does have some amazing neighborhoods, but I feel Houston offers more (due to its size).

People: New Orleans. Down to earth, laid - back, much nicer and approachable. Houstonians can sometimes come off as distant and rude compared to New Orleans people who are much more friendly and sociable.

Transportation: Tie (???). This was tough because I didn't really get to learn much about New Orleans public system outside of the streetcars when visiting. However, I'm sure it can't be much worse than Houston's.

Overall: Houston.
Culture: New Orleans. It is the most unique city in the country in a lot of ways.

Entertainment: New Orleans. The restaurants, attractions, nightlife and of course, Mardi Gras.

Food: Houston. Texas BBQ is great. It beats southern creole food in my opinion.

Quality of Life: Houston. New Orleans may be more exciting and interesting, but Houston is safer and has better schools, hospitals etc.

People: New Orleans. Some of the most interesting characters you'll ever meet.

Transportation: Equally poor.

Overall: New Orleans. New Orleans is on my list of cities that I would be interested in living in, but Houston isn't, unless I got a really really great job offer.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:00 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I see that. I thought Dallas had a noticeably smaller one to be honest.

You mean the link in your previous post of post war suburbia? I mean, yeah that's generic suburbia. Maybe you sent the wrong link or something but that's definitely generic. Most of the country looks like that.

New Orleans has more than local cuisine. If I jump on your back, it'll be because people act like we don't serve anything other than crawfish.

Houston roads are almost as bad as New Orleans. The thing is that your freeways are magnificent. But those roads, no way. I drive a lowered car and Houston is horrible when it comes to surface streets.
So you're saying this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7976...7i13312!8i6656

is so much different from this?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...!4d-82.4548315

This house in Tampa:

Could easily be mistaken for something in Houston Heights. Not buying that parts of Houston doesn't look like parts of Central Florida.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Man, they make up stuff folks say all the time. Like they said I made Dallas seem like SLC when it came to its black population. I just said it isn't as rich and cultured as Houston's, despite being similar sizes. LOL.
Don’t you start that.

Dunbar High School Fort Worth TX

Looks like black culture to me in Fort Worth. This video has 1/2 million views on Facebooks encouraging the youth to attend college.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9jvwrYbck

Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
Erykah Badu says hello

Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Erykah Badu says hello
Beyonce' says hey girl.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
Beyonce' says hey girl.
Really. She high tailed it out of Houston as soon as she could. Erykah Badu still lives in Dallas.

I much prefer Houston to Dallas, but to pretend that Houston is more of a mecca for black cultural life is just silly. They are roughly equivalent...slightly behind Atlanta and D.C.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Really. She high tailed it out of Houston as soon as she could. Erykah Badu still lives in Dallas.

I much prefer Houston to Dallas, but to pretend that Houston is more of a mecca for black cultural life is just silly. They are roughly equivalent...slightly behind Atlanta and D.C.
They aren't the same. You're hurt just like Spade and kdogg.

Back on Houston and New Orleans. How does that sound?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

This coming from a person that knows absolutely nothing about the state of Texas outside of Houston.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:45 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:

Oh yeah the Democrats want Dallas Paul Quinn President Michael Sorrell to run for governor of Texas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...l-run-governor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City