Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Houston 41 34.75%
Atlanta 5 4.24%
Boston 3 2.54%
Chicago 12 10.17%
San Francisco 5 4.24%
Phoenix 24 20.34%
Dallas 5 4.24%
Austin 6 5.08%
Detroit 11 9.32%
Philadelphia 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Considering Texas is the second-largest state in the union that's pretty pathetic. Between Tyler Perry Studios, TBS, Lifetime, BET and Riverwood Studios something like like two dozen TV shows (not counting news programs) are produced in Atlanta right now, and more are expected once the new Screen Gems Lakewood Studios comes on line:

EUE/Screen Gems opens studio near Atlanta
Yeah I know, but it's the Hollywood fault.Texas is very attractive financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:13 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Considering Texas is the second-largest state in the union that's pretty pathetic.
Perhaps but it is an improvement. For a long time there King of the Hill seemed to be the only TV series set in Texas and I'm pretty sure Texas was the second-biggest state a decade ago too. (I used to wonder if maybe they were "punishing" Texas for Bush, who is almost universally disliked in the entertainment industry, but another possibility is "accent" concerns. Atlanta is seen as being culturally Northern enough you may not have to worry about that.)

Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
(I used to wonder if maybe they were "punishing" Texas for Bush, who is almost universally disliked in the entertainment industry
funny that Arnold Schwarzenneger is ok with hollywood though. kinda ironic really.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Why does everyone say chicago has enough movies?
What movies besides batman which just came out are set in chicago?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Transformers 3 is being filmed in Chicago I believe.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
well it certainly doesn't get mentioned as much as los angeles or new york but compared to all the rest of the cities mentioned chicago has more hollywood attention than them.

List of fiction set in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit:
but to be fair here's a list of films set in houston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...set_in_Houston

and also there's a big budget film being filmed in houston right now called "Tree of Life" starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt. that should be good!!!

Last edited by migol84; 09-06-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Of the cities on the list, San Francisco, Chicago, and Atlanta seem to be represented well in Hollywood. Boston gets a decent amount of representation, but Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, and Detroit are all underrepresented. For a city its size, Austin gets enough representation in Hollywood.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 PM

235 posts, read 344,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
My god are you serious?! Every movie John Hughes ever made was set and filmed in Chicago! Ferris Beuhlers Day Off was his "love letter" to Chicago!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Of the cities on the list, San Francisco, Chicago, and Atlanta seem to be represented well in Hollywood. Boston gets a decent amount of representation, but Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, and Detroit are all underrepresented. For a city its size, Austin gets enough representation in Hollywood.
I just finished watching Machete.... my God does that movie have Austin written all over!

With UT being considered a top contender for film schools, plus the presence of Richard Linklater, Robert Rodriguez and Matthew McConaughey Austin definitely gets a name in Hollywood for sure.

As for the rest of the list.... I'm not entirely sure about Detroit... there's that new tv show out on "TBS"?? not sure where but the show takes place in Detroit and it's actually called Detroit. That may not be saying much but I've always felt that Detroit does get a decent Hollywood "buzz". I agree with the rest of the cities mentioned.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
My god are you serious?! Every movie John Hughes ever made was set and filmed in Chicago! Ferris Beuhlers Day Off was his "love letter" to Chicago!
Those are old and unpopular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City