Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM

269 posts, read 666,999 times

Advertisements

This is backed by Sperling's Best Places research.

"Nashville is the Mecca of manliness. With its high number of NASCAR enthusiasts, popularity of hunting and fishing and concentration of BBQ restaurants, the Music City stands alone atop the mountain of manliness."

"Ranks 50 major metropolitan areas using criteria such as number of professional sports teams, popularity of power tools and frequency of monster truck rallies."

Moderator cut: link removed

Actually it ranked number one (2009). It is what it is and it's not a big deal. I am just pointing out I am not just making up rumors about the "south."

It sounds like Nash is doing well from the comments above as far as healthy living. Here is a link about overall heath by state:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/16/unh...er=yahoohealth

Again not a big deal but my point is I am not just making things up.

About Wanda, she was talking about a state in the south that borders TN, which is also in the south, so it just came to mind.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM

222 posts, read 639,147 times
I'd recommend LA mainly because of the issues you have dealing with heat. It's seriously hot and humid here most of the summer. We've had an unusually hot/humid late May and June this year. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Nashville is the 24th Fittest city in the US. Dallas/FW is the 14th Fattest.

Top 25 fittest and fattest cities in the U.S. - Healthy Living on Shine

I don't understand the problem with trucks and power tools. I appreciate my husband's power tools. He fixes things around the house with them.
I don't see many trucks in the city or in my suburb, but when our house was close to flooding in the recent floods, we were very appreciative of a friend who took his truck to get us sandbags. So I am very glad for any trucks.

As far as the MS stuff, should we assume that anything that happens in any small town in any state that borders TX reflects on TX? That's absurd, right?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Nashville is the 24th Fittest city in the US. Dallas/FW is the 14th Fattest.

Top 25 fittest and fattest cities in the U.S. - Healthy Living on Shine

I don't understand the problem with trucks and power tools. I appreciate my husband's power tools. He fixes things around the house with them.
I don't see many trucks in the city or in my suburb, but when our house was close to flooding in the recent floods, we were very appreciative of a friend who took his truck to get us sandbags. So I am very glad for any trucks.

As far as the MS stuff, should we assume that anything that happens in any small town in any state that borders TX reflects on TX? That's absurd, right?
I am not from Dallas but I am in Dallas now, FYI. There is not a problem with them. I never said there was. I did say it is not what I am like... Wanda said "Mississippi" not the small town and really went on to suggest the south in general... she said it not me.

oh this in neat:

Someone posted this link form Gwyneth Paltrow's blog. I guess she lived in Nashville for a few months. She gives fun insight into some of the interesting spots....

GOOP Newsletter - GO

Part II
http://goop.com/newsletter/75/en/

Last edited by dundermifflin; 06-28-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
IMO, the best thing you can do is come to Nashville and explore the neighborhoods away from the tourist districts so you get a good feel for the city.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM

374 posts, read 693,394 times
Dundermifflin: don't let the redneck apologists scare you. They're actually all quite nice once the Yankee/Southerner stereotypes discussion is out of the way. While there are obvious cultural differences here in the city most of the characteristics you mention are in the moral rural areas (and to a lesser degree in the outlying 'burbs). The majority of Nashville proper is more of a melting pot than you might imagine as the music scene, universities, and healthcare field draws people from all over the world. I grew up in Los Angeles and left my 'hipster' east side enclave for a quieter, greener life and have found it quite nice for the most part.

But you will need A/C if the heat bothers you.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:25 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I have been to both cities, but I know LA a little better. They are very different. In regard to the weather, a lot depends on where you live in LA. The LA metro area is a huge geographic area and the weather is very variable. The more inland you go, the hotter it gets. Areas like The Valley are very warm, while areas closer to the water, such as Marina Del Rey are cooler. People who live in Marina Del Rey don't have A/C, but most people in the valley do. There is also a huge temperature difference between day time and night time. LA also has that overcast/fog thing in the morning. The seasons are divided more along the lines of wet and dry. The climate/atmosphere/culture is vastly different depending on where you live in LA so you really have to narrow down the specific area in LA to make a good decision and fair comparison. There are working class areas/ family neighborhoods/ neighborhoods full of business people/neighborhoods where the movie industry people live, etc. The artistic community does seems to center in pricey, scenic Santa Barabara, which is north of LA. Nashville has a genuine winter and fall. Nashville has a fall foliage season and there is nothing like that in LA. Nashville is also much smaller than LA and has more open space and of course, less traffic. It does sound like you do have some misconceptions of Nashville as a hick town. It is very much a college and medical hub. There is a lot more culture going on than you think. My impression is that both places have a lot of "pretty people." I saw many people working out/running/jogging/biking at the Warner parks and at Lake Radnor. If you like organic and eathing healthy, there is plenty of that in Nashville because there is also plenty of local produce/eggs/dairy products, etc. and there are some farms where you can go there and just buy what you want directly from them. I don't think you are going to find many people sitting around in their overalls stuffing themselves with ham, fried chicken, and grits at every meal. I also think there is a lot more materialism in LA, but both cities have some really rich people living there.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Coney - thanks for the info - what about Santa Barbara? I know it is really nice but can it be affordable - like middle class affordable i guess?

About Wanda, I wanted to just reference the video so everyone is clear what was said. I am not saying she mentioned TN or Nash and I am not wanting to trash anyone. Here is the link and she mentions it at 4:30.

YouTube - Wanda Sykes Interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show (2010-04-22) [Part 4/7]

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
"It's kinda like Nashville with a tan! Everything's gonna be allright, rockabye, rockabye!"

Still, at my age, I am astounded by the ignorance that exists in other parts of the nation about the South. Anyone who would put Atlanta and Jackson, MS in the same category is just not bright. It's like someone putting Los Angeles and Boise in the same category. Or even Nashville and New Orleans... there is so much diversity in the South. I see more mixed race children in Chattanooga (especially with their families intact!) than I do travelling for business in Boston and Philadelphia. I would expect that Cali has the most prevalent mixed race citizens, but Chattanooga isn't exactly the cultural hub of the South... and it is common.

I know a very manly man who drives a pickup truck and works construction in Nashville. Oh, and he's open about being gay.

In contrast, my mother was watching a show one night, and I sat down to try to figure out what it was. The people were phony and disgusting... so mean to each other (of course it was a reality show)... and I figured out it was made in California. So I finally asked her what it was, and she said it was "Housewives of Orange County". I asked why she watched it, and she said it was to remind her of why she left California in 1960! She loved the weather, but she thought the people were the most shallow people in the world.

Then, I saw a Wisconsin politician who was talking about Arizona and its immigration law. This woman said that Arizona was not on the border with Mexico. This woman is an elected official in Wisconsin!

Last edited by shinestx; 06-28-2010 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 PM

374 posts, read 693,394 times
Oops - typo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
. While there are obvious cultural differences here in the city most of the characteristics you mention are in the more rural areas (and to a lesser degree in the outlying 'burbs).
Shinestx: Don't you think attributing the values of caricatures on a TV show to an entire region is similar to believing stereotypes about the South?
Every region has its superficial social climbers, and it's very likely that the worst offenders aren't even natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City