Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Northeastern state?
Connecticut 4 4.65%
Delaware 1 1.16%
Maine 7 8.14%
Maryland 8 9.30%
Massachusetts 10 11.63%
New Hampshire 2 2.33%
New Jersey 16 18.60%
New York 20 23.26%
Pennsylvania 14 16.28%
Rhode Island 1 1.16%
Vermont 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You must be driving pretty slow if it takes you all day!

JK. Could not resist. And I like Massachusetts also. It the Spirit of America!
I would drive slow in the Berks! Although if I were backpacking it, it might take longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
I Love them all!

But I voted Massachusetts, yes biased I know as it's my home state, but I really do appreciate and love it. To be honest Boston is not one of my favorite cities, I like it but I love the state more. I love the nautical and colonial character of the North Shore towns with scenic harbors rocky shores, lighthouses, and great beaches. I love painted rolling hills of the Berkshires in the fall, the cranberry bogs and sandy ponds in Plymouth. Cape Cod and the Islands are magical, big sand dunes and quaint villages. I like the suburbs of Boston as they have retained their historical character well without be dominated by cookie cutter developments.

2nd would be New York as it has has the most diversity out of any Northeastern states. NYC certainly needs no introduction, but beyond that are some very special places. Upstate has countless lakes, the Adirondack Lakes are gorgeous as are the mountains. I love the gorges and waterfalls around Ithaca and the Finger Lakes. Long Island has some very scenic ocean shoreline. There are charming and idyllic small towns all throughout the state.

3rd would be Vermont. It is the most scenic northeastern state with quaint and well kept villages all throughout the state. All 4 seasons look beautiful in Vermont with lush green mountains in the spring and summer, a cornecopia of fall colors that seem to look the best in VT painted along the mountains. The covered landscape in pretty, and VT has the best skiing in the east! Lake Champlain is the best lake in the Northeast, it's big! Vermont does well with supporting small businesses, local farmers, and retaining nice communities.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 AM

62 posts, read 277,697 times
I traveled to all Northeastern states last summer on my cross country trip from California. Here is my ranking of these states I like based on my traveling experiences:

1. Massachusetts: Spirit of America - Historical Boston, Cape Cod, and the Berkshires

2. New York: NYC (Manhattan, Central Park, Times Square, and State of Liberty) and Long Island

3. Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh Steelers, Penn State, Amish Lancaster Country, Hershey, PA, and Philly, the City of Brotherly Love

3. (tied) Maryland: America in Miniature-D.C. Metro Area, East Shore, and rural MD country

4. New Hampshire: Gorgeous little state that is cheaper and not too far away from Boston. If I am to move to one of the northeastern states, I would choose NH.

5. Vermont: Maple syrup, colorful falling leaves, and beautiful city of Burlington. That's pretty much it.

Not ranking:

Maine-Beautiful rocky coastline but boring and too conservative for my taste

Rhode Island-Beautiful but boring

Connecticut-Beautiful but boring and full of stuck-up surburban people

New Jersey - The fifth most boring state after Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut with weird and confusing road system

Delaware - The most boring state in the Northeast

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
^^^^^^^^^

1. Massachusetts: Spirit of America - Historical Boston, Cape Cod, and the Berkshires

Cheers! That's a high compliment and well appreciated. Come back anytime! Check out the North Shore/Essex County (Salem, Gloucester, Ipswich, Newburyport/Plum Island), it's like a mircroscosm of the whole state with hills, small towns, urban cities, suburbs, natutical seaport towns, sandy beaches. It's fabulous!

2. New York: NYC (Manhattan, Central Park, Times Square, and State of Liberty) and Long Island

Lets not forget upstate, awesome lake recreation, beautiful mountains and waterfalls to the north of the city.

3. Pennsylvania: Pitt
sburgh Steelers, Penn State, Amish Lancaster Country, Hershey, PA, and Philly, the City of Brotherly Love.

Man I love Philly, it's like Bostons brother.

3. (tied) Maryland: America in Miniature-D.C. Metro Area, East Shore, and rural MD country

Ocean City is fun, Western MD hills are beautiful.

4. New Hampshire: Gorgeous little state that is cheaper and not too far away from Boston. If I am to move to one of the northeastern states, I would choose NH.

Mass and NH have a bit of a rivalry. NH scapoegoats Mass. You live in Cali so you know what that's like. LOL. I like NH, but well...... I'll save that for another day.

5. Vermont: Maple syrup, colorful falling leaves, and beautiful city of Burlington. That's pretty much it.

Lake Champlain is fabulous. Beautiful towns all throughout the state.

Not ranking:

Yeah I fele yah on this one. I love Portland and Acadia National Park, LL Bean is cool, but something about the state rubs me the wrong way. They seem to have a distrust of outsiders.

Did you get of I-95? Newport is amazing, it's like the OC of the Guilded Age back in the days of railroad barrons. Nice beaches and warm ocean currents in the summer in South County. Block Island is magical. Dinner at an Italian Restaurant in Federal Hill in Providence is a hoot, great food too.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

New Jersey - The fifth most boring state after Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut with weird and confusing road system

Yes the roads in Jersey suck, I-95 and the NJ Turnpike seem to lose one another and it is indeed confusing finding the most direct way between Philly and NYC. The Jersey Shore is suprisingly nice and the state is pretty affluent in a lot of places.

Absolutely! I've been all over the state and Rehoboth Beach seemed to be the only redeeming place there.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Ask the people living in Maryland- Oh wait *Reads Baltimore* excuse me, do you consider yourself a southerner?
I've been to Maryland numerous times, they are more so associated with Philly, NYC, NJ etc- I havn't heard once from an actual local MD resident that considered themselves a southern.

Salisbury struck me as "southern" in character but lets not get too technical here, the majority of MD's population is centered between Towson down to DC.
LOL.. No

Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCalif View Post
I traveled to all Northeastern states last summer on my cross country trip from California. Here is my ranking of these states I like based on my traveling experiences:

3. Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh Steelers, Penn State, Amish Lancaster Country, Hershey, PA, and Philly, the City of Brotherly Love

Not ranking:

2 words, "The shore". You say you traveled NJ, but did you spend time on any of the Jersey Shore boardwalks? Atlatic City, Wildwood, or Seaside Heights? All the amazing food options, daring rides, games, shops, gambling, and it includes a beach. You put that on the level of Maine? Jersey City/Hoboken is no slouch in terms of nightlife and location either.
You're also sandwiched between NYC and Philly, and it's true that they're not in NJ but considering the size of NJ, access to these cities is NJ's biggest asset.

If NJ was so boring, why would "The Sopranos" be the highest rated televison series in television history and the show "Jersey Shore" be MTV's biggest success in history? Plus all the rest of the shows that take place in NJ that broke records in their own right (Jerseylicious, Cake Boss, Jersey Couture, The Real Housewives of NJ)- "Jersey Boys", the Broadway hit musical. These are all big influences on the entertainment industry (the complete opposite of boring). Though i'm not proud that these stereotypes get way more hype than it really should, it exists as a stereotypical minority.
HBO, MTV, and The Style Network biggest success's came out of NJ. If NJ was so boring, why is America watching/loving/hating NJ to such an extreme on so many different levels?
Natural beauty in NJ isn't as abundant as most to all states, but the North Western NJ is just plain BEAUTIFUL- It's the definition of Garden State out there .

I know it's your opinion but I think it's way off when you have boring states like Kansas, Arkansas, Montana, North Dakota etc. I need to see a reasoning.

To your road comment, NJ has the highest concentration highways in the nation. Is it Weird or is it too much is the real question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City