Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern college town do you prefer?
Minneapolis 1 1.45%
Ann Arbor 9 13.04%
Lincoln 1 1.45%
Kalamazoo 0 0%
Columbus, OH 8 11.59%
Madison, WI 22 31.88%
East Lansing 1 1.45%
Iowa City 8 11.59%
Ames 0 0%
Champaign, IL 3 4.35%
West Lafayette, IN 1 1.45%
Winona, MN 1 1.45%
Duluth, MN 0 0%
Athens, OH 3 4.35%
Northfield, MN 1 1.45%
Grand Forks 1 1.45%
Columbia, MO 1 1.45%
Lawrence, KS 6 8.70%
St. Cloud, MN 0 0%
Other 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Come on what about Bloomington Indiana?
The OP stated that they feel that since it's in "extreme" southern Indiana it doesn't qualify as Midwestern. Of course, it's barely an hour south of Indy. To say it's in "extreme" southern Indiana makes it sound as if it's just across the river from Louisville or around Evansville. I'm with you -- it's a Midwestern school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The OP stated that they feel that since it's in "extreme" southern Indiana it doesn't qualify as Midwestern. Of course, it's barely an hour south of Indy. To say it's in "extreme" southern Indiana makes it sound as if it's just across the river from Louisville or around Evansville. I'm with you -- it's a Midwestern school.
If that definition was consistant then Columbia, MO would be the same and Lawrence, KS would be too Western.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Been to Madison twice and its a GREAT town, awesome college town, its a lot of fun and has a big city in a little town feel which is great, Very urban place for its size.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
I'm sorry about Bloomington, I probably should have included it. I included Columbia because I couldn't think of another Missouri city and northern Missouri is definitely Midwest (I wanted to include a city from every Midwestern state). I already had West Lafayette (Purdue) for Indiana. Lawrence, KS isn't Western. I've actually been to Bloomington, and it did seem very Southern to me. To be fair, I'm from the Upper Midwest so maybe my perspective is a little skewed.

Also, I used a very broad definition of "college town" for this thread in including cities like Minneapolis, Columbus, Lincoln, St. Cloud, Duluth, Madison and Kalamazoo. All of those cities have large colleges/universities, even though they aren't really defined by their presence. I would only consider true college towns to be cities where students outnumber full-time residents, many of the full-time residents are faculty (and their families), and the town is totally defined by the presence of the colleges. I'm talking about places like Northfield, MN, Athens, OH and Ames, IA. Those are true college towns. If the universities left those towns (except maybe Ames), they would be just little rest stops on the countryside.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM

21 posts, read 52,113 times
Bloomington Indiana is absolutely 1 of the best. Weather is far better than the northern options & the campus & areas near Bloomington are absolutely beautiful.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Iowa City and Madison

Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Columbus = Ohio State University

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Columbus = Ohio State University
THE Ohio State University. C'mon, now. Get it right, Buckeye.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM

398 posts, read 993,533 times
Lawrence, KS!

Leafy, liberal, and down to earth. Nice downtown along Massachusetts Street. Great campus at the University of Kansas. Great basketball town. Cool people. One of the most liberal cities in the Midwest.

What is so cool about this town is that it was founded by New Englanders in the 1850s as an anti-slavery outpost in Kansas Territory. The settlers here fought so that Kansas could enter the Union as a free state in 1861. Shortly after that the main campus of the University of Kansas was located here. It has been a forward-thinking, progressive place since day one. The city is also laid out very well and is very close to the Kansas City metropolitan area if you want to go to a bigger city.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Lawrence, KS!

Leafy, liberal, and down to earth. Nice downtown along Massachusetts Street. Great campus at the University of Kansas. Great basketball town. Cool people. One of the most liberal cities in the Midwest.

What is so cool about this town is that it was founded by New Englanders in the 1850s as an anti-slavery outpost in Kansas Territory. The settlers here fought so that Kansas could enter the Union as a free state in 1861. Shortly after that the main campus of the University of Kansas was located here. It has been a forward-thinking, progressive place since day one. The city is also laid out very well and is very close to the Kansas City metropolitan area if you want to go to a bigger city.
Too bad the rest of Kansas is still stuck in the stone age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City