Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Galveston TX or Saint Augustine FL
Galveston 13 36.11%
Saint Augustine 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Since we're comparing historic Southern cities and all. On a city-to-city basis, these two seem somewhat even. So which wins out in categories like beaches, history, better to vacation in, better to live in, etc. I know it's impossible to exclude the larger metros in which these cities are located (and that would give Galveston a huge edge), but let's try to keep it to a city vs. city comparison for the sake of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Personally I was not too impressed with St. Augustine. The beach was nothing special and the surrounding areas looked very ticky tacky and like it was stuck in the 1980's. However, the castle and Flagler college were quite beautiful and worth a visit.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I love both cities to death!
St. Augustine is much more attractive and has slightly better weather and much better beaches.
Galveston has the benefit of bring in the Houston MSA with consistent development along I-45. I love the urban nature of Galveston and I think it really has immense potential as a great city. With the larger cities in their MSA's removed, I think St. Augustine wins it all for me as a better vacation destination, better to live, etc. With the right development I would take Galveston.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Never been to Galveston, but I loved St. Augustine. The food was cheap, the downtown was walkable and good, the history was cool, the surroundings were nice, the beaches were beautiful and the weather was pleasant. For vacation, I'd choose Galveston only because I haven't been. After I go, then I will decide which is better.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 PM

195 posts, read 335,943 times
I've never been to Galveston, but I'd say that Saint Augustine is a great place to live .... If you're retiring ...

Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I've never gone to St. Augustine, but Galveston is a nice coastal town.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Never been to Galveston but have been to the TX coast. The beaches there are nowhere near as nice as Florida beaches. St. Augustine has gorgeous dunes and orange sand covered with shells. The water is warm most of the year and blue. I loved the city's charm. The weather was nice when I went too. Texas is colder in the winter, hotter in the summer, not as nice. The Gulf off of Texas does get warm in summer, but the water is polluted and brown, and often the sand and air are also dirty there.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Never been to Galveston but have been to the TX coast. The beaches there are nowhere near as nice as Florida beaches. St. Augustine has gorgeous dunes and orange sand covered with shells. The water is warm most of the year and blue. I loved the city's charm. The weather was nice when I went too. Texas is colder in the winter, hotter in the summer, not as nice. The Gulf off of Texas does get warm in summer, but the water is polluted and brown, and often the sand and air are also dirty there.
I agree except the air is fine in Galveston. Smells like salt water.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Never been to Galveston, but I loved St. Augustine. The food was cheap, the downtown was walkable and good, the history was cool, the surroundings were nice, the beaches were beautiful and the weather was pleasant. For vacation, I'd choose Galveston only because I haven't been. After I go, then I will decide which is better.
Id skip Galveston and go for St Augustine. Its a forever potential kind of place.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:

Looks like someone could use a recent visit. They've cleaned up the beach a little bit. Not saying that it's A+, but it has improved over the last 3 or 4 years or so (since IKE)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City