Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Austin 31 37.80%
Hoboken 51 62.20%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I totally forgot about the R1 - I admit it.

I mentioned DC. Dulles is finally under construction, but it is years out.

As far as BWI, no that is not a single seat ride on MARC or Amtrak - you HAVE to take a shuttle bus from the station. The LRT line is nice I guess, but the ridership is absolutely pathetic, and serves employees way more than actual travelers - but at least they have it.

Newark is also not a single seat ride, you HAVE to transfer to the monorail.

MARTA is constantly minimalized here, but only DC & Philly can compete when it comes to a single seat ride. How exactly is it nowhere near as good as the other cities? I would really value your opinion on this.

My whole point is that this kid passes himself off as some sort of expert - he is clearly NOT, and I am personally sick and tired of his constant swipes at the South & Atlanta in particular when it comes to transit. His agenda is paper-thin, and has grown quite tiresome in this and the Atlanta room.

MARTA where it services is very good, Atlanta is harder to service in some ways because of its spread, so a tradional hub works not as well there. MARTA is like the METRO sometimes subwaylike and sometmes regional rail like. It is clean and pretty effecient. It just doesnt go enough places but for an Area like Buckhead and to the airport, it does a great job. It is much more difficult to connect to other place in ATL on METRA from what i know, but honestly most of experience is from the airport to Buckhead, which I find very easy and efficient.

I think overall it is hard to compare MARTA to larger more integrated networks, because it isnt there yet, but for certain areas and connecting Buckhead to Downtown to the Airport it really does a pretty good job (plus some others as well) In terms of how well it serices the whole inner metro area though it can not really match even a city that has many ills in it's transit like Phildelphia, let alone NYC

Just for the reord - Chicago and Regan National (Even AC International to both Philly and AC, both single seat rides) are also linked very well, at least as well as hartsfield. And Boston and the Red line, yes a bus after but it is less than 3 minutes additional (I do that all the time and go directly into Cambridge), but honestly me personally even with the bus, I am at my US air terminal gate faster, no need for the second subway seat. And on EWR, many people take the train and shuttle, also fairly effeciaent in real time from rail to gate.

Also Atlanta IMHO is the best rail in South, bar none, and better discussed with other cities than it's souther counterparts, but it isnt there. Nor is rail everything in any city anyway. I drive to the airport in Philly from CC and do not in Atlanta, so maybe that says something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You obviously cherry pick what you will respond to, and have a real problem admitting it when you have been proven wrong.

Boston has a station that requires a shuttle bus transfer - NOT direct rail access.

Harrisburg is NOT expanding anything. There is a station on the Keystone Line ACROSS THE ROAD from the Airport. NOT direct rail access, and it was delayed repeatedly.

Just what connection is BWI building? None, more bs.

For someone that lives in the region, you seem to know next to nothing about your own systems - especially when it comes to airport connections.

Again, quit passing yourself off as some sort of expert when it comes to this subject. You are in way over your head here.
My god why am i even arguing with you , its so pathetic and childish of me and you....

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Idk know what the ridership of there system is , and does it count?
It most certainly does count if all the other systems you keep bringing up do. ESPECIALLY since you declared it a "tiny system" that won't be expanding and is ten years behind everyone else.

Get a clue, kid.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
My god why am i even arguing with you , its so pathetic and childish of me and you....
I don't know, especially when you have been proven wrong over and over and over again.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Anyway back to Hoboken , the City is much more condensed then Austin. Making it more simple to get around and its probably more Diverse then Austin in both Culture and wealth.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
MARTA where it services is very good, Atlanta is harder to service in some ways because of its spread, so a tradional hub works not as well there. MARTA is like the METRO sometimes subwaylike and sometmes regional rail like. It is clean and pretty effecient. It just doesnt go enough places but for an Area like Buckhead and to the airport, it does a great job. It is much more difficult to connect to other place in ATL on METRA from what i know, but honestly most of experience is from the airport to Buckhead, which I find very easy and efficient.

I think overall it is hard to compare MARTA to larger more integrated networks, because it isnt there yet, but for certain areas and connecting Buckhead to Downtown to the Airport it really does a pretty good job (plus some others as well) In terms of how well it serices the whole inner metro area though it can not really match even a city that has many ills in it's transit like Phildelphia, let alone NYC

Just for the reord - Chicago and Regan National (Even AC International to both Philly and AC, both single seat rides) are also linked very well, at least as well as hartsfield. And Boston and the Red line, yes a bus after but it is less than 3 minutes additional (I do that all the time and go directly into Cambridge), but honestly me personally even with the bus, I am at my US air terminal gate faster, no need for the second subway seat. And on EWR, many people take the train and shuttle, also fairly effeciaent in real time from rail to gate.

Also Atlanta IMHO is the best rail in South, bar none, and better discussed with other cities than it's souther counterparts, but it isnt there. Nor is rail everything in any city anyway. I drive to the airport in Philly from CC and do not in Atlanta, so maybe that says something...
Thanks for your views, Paul.

Slight correction here though. MARTA offers a direct single seat ride from 4 of our 5 business districts - Dunwoody/Perimeter/Sandy Springs, Buckhead (on 2 different lines), Midtown and Downtown.

This is a HUGE advantage we have over other peer cities, and explains a lot about this place - like the linear skyline we take so much heat for. Office & residential development has clustered around these stations for a reason.

Your points about the other places are well taken, but I again have to say that the importance of a single seat ride is a big deal to many. Many who would otherwise drive and not deal with the hassle of multiple connections, for example.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
both chicago's airports have subway access directly into the airport. and they both connect you right into downtown.

san francisco also has BART access directly into San Francisco and Oakland Airports.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 AM

At least Hoboken isn't in a Tornado risk zone like Atlanta or Austin

Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
At least Hoboken isn't in a Tornado risk zone like Atlanta or Austin
What an absolutely mature contribution, but hardly surprising.

When proven wrong, start slinging the insults. What are you, 15?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
both chicago's airports have subway access directly into the airport. and they both connect you right into downtown.

san francisco also has BART access directly into San Francisco and Oakland Airports.
Yep, they're all good. The BART station looks almost like a carbon copy of MARTA @ Hartsfield.

The only thing I don't like about the Orange Line to Midway is the long walk through the parking garage to reach the station, but it's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City