Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers better city living?
Buckhead 79 34.20%
Hoboken 152 65.80%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
maybe i should just get another cup of Starbucks coffee
Yeah I'll join you on that.

Lol, when I first started off on this site, I thought that I would actually learn something cool everyday.

Today I wondered, "what if today was my very first day on here, what would I have thought if I saw these kinds of posts?" LOL. Surely enough it didn't take me long to start taking this site comically.

It's fine, people get dragged with their emotions about where they live, some people are way to blunt without thinking how many people they generalize.

But at the end of the day, everyones the same, the only ones who are affected by this are really the people who let one or two crazies generalize and start believing what they say.

I think it's time to reiterate this, these threads should be treated with a grain of salt. It doesn't affect anyones life personally - at least I hope no one lets it to that measure.

Starbucks Density was my favorite thread, I actually got the feel of what cities I can count on for Coffee now. I did learn something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
I don't even know why you dragged Silver Spring into this of all the places you could have mentioned. Have even been there do you know the bounds of the downtown core?

It can stand toe to toe with Hoboken and would crush it in overall measure.

Silver Spring is an enormous transportation hub with everything from METRO, commuter rail and Greyhound.

In fact there was a boutique clothing store called Pieces of Silver Spring, that came all the way from New York City and opened their third location in Silver Spring, they also had a Pieces of Hoboken and Pieces of Brooklyn all are closed besides the Brooklyn one but if that doesn't give a hint of Silver Spring's urban nature, then there's no pleasing anyone I guess.

By definition Suburb means less-than urban, that's what the sub is for, downtown Silver Spring does not meet that definition.

The OP asked which area provides the best city life but then turns around and lists "job access" as a criteria, as in leaving the bounds of that territory and going within some other boundary to work, that right there debunks this whole thread.

What real city do you leave to go another for work? Particularly because it lacks enough office space and is predominantly residential.

A real city you wouldn't have to leave in order to work.

A real city is a destination and has economic prowess and might. It is an anchor a core of entire region or sub region. And yes, it must also be walkable.

Outside municipal naming of incorporated places. What people mean as a City is for the most part meant as a destination of economic power, "the go to place".

In modern times a city blends almost equally at least three uses or it does not meet the criteria.

Residential, Retail, and Office.

I would even go as far to say that a city should be heavy on Office space so that it is a destination not a bedroom community. If you don't have a good blend of those three at least your just a bedroom community or an entertainment/shopping district or some neighborhood.

And the intricate it is as business specialize the better.

You can definitely live in Silver Spring without a car, you do not need one whats so ever, you don't even need to commute out for "job-access" unlike Hoboken.

All of these places meet the definition of urban in some part or another maybe not all of it but a good chunk. Yes, Hoboken is pretty dense as far as leaving no gaps. But at the end of the day its nothing more than a bedroom community, particularly by New York standards (that's not necessarily a good thing).

So how long would be the typical walk or commute in Silver Springs be and yes I know that area very well too, spent a few years in the DC area. Because in Hoboken a 10-15 commute is very common and within that 10-15 minute commute there are likely 10-15 times the number of jobs and offices accesable, I also know Hoboken well being a priorresident there as well. I agree you can live without a car in SS but I would say not as easily as Hoboken, maybe slightly easier than Buckhead

Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM

499 posts, read 667,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I matched Silver Spring with Buckhead... Not Hoboken.
You saw Silver Spring and you're "bias" switch turned on and everything else didn't matter- I matched Hoboken with Park Slope... For you to even ramble on like that was pointless.

Silver Spring is suburban for the most part. It's similar to Buckhead in many ways. Silver Spring has an urban center, but sprawls out nicely- It's no were near as urban or chic as Hoboken.
Don't even start back tracking now that you're scared and start name calling. First of all you said a better comparison was Silver Spring and Buckhead but Silver Spring will crush Hoboken in overall measure of what real city should be like.

How can you compare Hobokens one square mile with a place that has an overall territory larger than Arlington County which comes to about 40 square miles.

You obviously know little about Silver Spring stop comparing apples and oranges. Compare downtown Silver Spring and Hoboken and stop playing.

This really is a ridiculous thread.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I'll join you on that.

Lol, when I first started off on this site, I thought that I would actually learn something cool everyday.

Today I wondered, "what if today was my very first day on here, what would I have thought if I saw these kinds of posts?" LOL. Surely enough it didn't take me long to start taking this site comically.

It's fine, people get dragged with their emotions about where they live, some people are way to blunt without thinking how many people they generalize.

But at the end of the day, everyones the same, the only ones who are affected by this are really the people who let one or two crazies generalize and start believing what they say.

I think it's time to reiterate this, these threads should be treated with a grain of salt. It doesn't affect anyones life personally - at least I hope no one lets it to that measure.

Starbucks Density was my favorite thread, I actually got the feel of what cities I can count on for Coffee now. I did learn something!

Venti Black please

Old 07-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Don't even start back tracking now that you're scared and start name calling. First of all you said a better comparison was Silver Spring and Buckhead but Silver Spring will crush Hoboken in overall measure of what real city should be like.

How can you compare Hobokens one square mile with a place that has an overall territory larger than Arlington County which comes to about 40 square miles.

You obviously know little about Silver Spring stop comparing apples and oranges. Compare downtown Silver Spring and Hoboken and stop playing.

This really is a ridiculous thread.

I would take old town over SS any day of the week btw

maybe even greenbelt

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
whole foods has biscuits and gravy at their breakfast menu w

Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
So how long would be the typical walk or commute in Silver Springs be and yes I know that area very well too, spent a few years in the DC area. Because in Hoboken a 10-15 commute is very common and within that 10-15 minute commute there are likely 10-15 times the number of jobs and offices accesable, I also know Hoboken well being a priorresident there as well. I agree you can live without a car in SS but I would say not as easily as Hoboken, maybe slightly easier than Buckhead
LOL you don't have to commute in Silver Spring. There are many large and even very green employers there. Way more than Hoboken if any.

Many of you don't seem to understand that downtown Silver Spring actually has CBD boundaires and special zoning. What can be built within the CBD is not allowed outside it.

You all simply don't know where it stops and ends.

Compare dowtown Silver Spring to Hoboken, about 1 square mile for one square mile and see who is more city like.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I would take old town over SS any day of the week btw

maybe even greenbelt
K, now you're being stupid. Keep humping hobo.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
2 totally different cities, lifestyles, environments...

it's like comparing San Diego to Jersey City

Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM

I would take Buckhead anyways, I need a job lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City