Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best hockey city in the US?
Denver, CO 11 4.35%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 59 23.32%
Chicago, IL 19 7.51%
Detroit, MI 52 20.55%
Buffalo, NY 12 4.74%
Boston, MA 58 22.92%
Pittsburgh, PA 16 6.32%
Philadelphia, PA 13 5.14%
Other 13 5.14%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is the best city.
The best states are Minnesota,Michigan,Wisconsin and Massachussets.
Milwaukee has had a team at the AHL/IHL level since the late 40s and the Admirals since 1970.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Led

145 posts, read 423,194 times
Omg, why isn't Ohio at all on here? Cleveland and Columbus have some of the greatest hockey programs in the country; with respect to Cincinnati.

Men's Ice Hockey - News - The Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletics Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com (http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&SPID=10406&SPSID= 87731 - broken link)

Both Akron and Cincinnati have excellent college level hockey support, along with a wide array of Junior and AHL clubs, puts most of NYS and Illinois to shame; and I'd be reluctant to say New England as well. Indiana has a strong support for the sport at the college level, along with Wisconsin.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 51,379 times
I'll have to go with Detroit, the culture's been always there since day one.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Omg, why isn't Ohio at all on here? Cleveland and Columbus have some of the greatest hockey programs in the country; with respect to Cincinnati.

Men's Ice Hockey - News - The Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletics Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com (http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&SPID=10406&SPSID= 87731 - broken link)

Both Akron and Cincinnati have excellent college level hockey support, along with a wide array of Junior and AHL clubs, puts most of NYS and Illinois to shame; and I'd be reluctant to say New England as well. Indiana has a strong support for the sport at the college level, along with Wisconsin.
I lived in Ohio for 5 years and the state has very little infactuation with hockey, at least in comparison to football. Almost nobody I met every played organized hockey, whereas almost everyone I know in MN has.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Led

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I lived in Ohio for 5 years and the state has very little infactuation with hockey, at least in comparison to football. Almost nobody I met every played organized hockey, whereas almost everyone I know in MN has.
Well in comparison to football it's obvious that it's not as popular, but that's not denying the support's still there for Hockey. It's the same case with Buffalo and the Bills, and Boston with the Patriots. Can't fans enjoy the best of both worlds, why be so limited to one sport?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

It's not like that, it's just that the people I met and spoke to while in OH didn't seem to care a ton about hockey, at least not nearly as much as MN, WI or NE states do. Believe me, it helps to be able to play pickup hockey outside during the winter, as rink time is hard to come by in most cities and most kids just don't have the exposure to the sport like they do in the colder (sub-freezing) climates further north.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Led

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's not like that, it's just that the people I met and spoke to while in OH didn't seem to care a ton about hockey, at least not nearly as much as MN, WI or NE states do. Believe me, it helps to be able to play pickup hockey outside during the winter, as rink time is hard to come by in most cities and most kids just don't have the exposure to the sport like they do in the colder (sub-freezing) climates further north.
Where in Ohio were you because I have trouble believing this. Anywhere near Cleveland/Toledo/Northern OH?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM

161 posts, read 699,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
1. The Wild suck and still get support. Detroit has won for the last two decades and has trouble selling out. "Boo hoo, economy!"

2. Minnesota supports at all levels, not just the bigtime NHL team.

3. "Hockeytown" was a marketing gimmick from the '90s. It is self-ascribed. No validity whatsoever.

4. The ****ing word is "dominant."

"Hockeytown" validity is the past 20 years of NHL DOMINANCE. Sorry about dominate, but it was a typo you ****ING *******!

Why don't you vacation to Dallas to watch the real Minnesota hockey team play?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM

By that rationalle then Carolina should be considered one of the top "hockey towns" since the Hurricanes have been relatively dominant in the past decade. What a crock!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would extend this into Central NY(Syracuse and Utica-Rome areas) and into Northern NY due to being close to Ottawa and Montreal. Oswego is a good HS hockey school and Erik Cole is from there. There are a few other NHL players from the CNY area as well. Schools like Clinton, New Hartford, Baldwinsville and West Genesee are good HS hockey programs in NY State.
I completely agree with this. Now that I think about it, NYS really is full of hockey. I remember playing St. Catherines in Canada, and we won. I thought we had a great team. Then we played Skaneateles (just south of Syracuse) and they killed us...haha. I want to say I got hit harder than I've ever gotten hit before in that game.

I also agree that Oswego was a great hockey school. Them and Brockport used to be a great match-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City