Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I can understand the appeal of chains, but I can't imagine favoring them over a regional culinary specialty. I'll never forget that my first time in Albuquerque
You haven't lived until you've had a green chile quarter pounder from a New Mexico McDonald's. Talk about a regional culinary specialty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I know better than to look for Italian or Pizza outside of the NJ/NY area because it will never be as good anywhere else.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Oh, I'm sure the main ethnic staples are AVAILABLE, but they will not be as plentiful, and not be of the quality of the Northeast.
Now how on Earth could anyone be so narrow-minded as to believe these things? Are there not people of Italian descent in Birmingham, Greek descent in Florida and Ethiopian descent in Atlanta? What makes their cooking inferior to that of their fellow ex-pats who just happen to live in the Northeast?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:07 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You haven't lived until you've had a green chile quarter pounder from a New Mexico McDonald's. Talk about a regional culinary specialty ...
Yes, it's good, but I like Tommy's and Blake's green chile burgers better; and Blake's will even make me a RED chile burger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
and

Now how on Earth could anyone be so narrow-minded as to believe these things? Are there not people of Italian descent in Birmingham, Greek descent in Florida and Ethiopian descent in Atlanta? What makes their cooking inferior to that of their fellow ex-pats who just happen to live in the Northeast?
I'm not saying there are NO good Italian or pizza places outside the Northeast; I'm saying there are so few that it is not worth trying to find them through trial and error when the regional specialty is better. Why would I waste time trying the various pizza places in Birmingham, trying to find something decent, when I could stumble into most barbecue joints and get a better quality of barbecue than anything I could find at home?

I have found great pizza in Boston's North End and some parts of New England but only after kissing too many frogs. I stumbled upon good pizza in West Palm Beach, FL but it still wasn't better than home. I had awesome Italian food in Hollywood, CA in the touristy Hollywood and Highland complex, but that was owned by a NJ'an and it was just dumb luck that we ate there. Why would I waste time trying the Italian food there when most of it isn't as good and when I could be eating awesome fish tacos and other tacos that I can't get in NJ???

That's all I'm trying to say - stick a region's specialty and you'll kiss fewer frogs and find great food more quickly and easily.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Oh, I'm sure the main ethnic staples are AVAILABLE, but they will not be as plentiful, and not be of the quality of the Northeast. HENCE why many people in the south end up going to chains (the orginal topic of this thread).

As an aside, I would bet that there are indeed some ethnic varieties of food that cannot be found in the south.
You are losing me more and more with every post, and I find it more than amusing that you refuse to answer my simple question.

Again, if you have indeed ever been here, please specify just exactly what type of cuisine you enjoy regularly that you could not access here.

You just assume that there is no way that the quality can be the same - why? As far as ethnic offerings go, immigrants are immigrants are immigrants. Why in the world would you assume that the food quality is so far superior in the Northeast that people are actually being forced to eat at chains down here rather than partake of independent, ethnic places?

I'm beginning to think that you've never been outside of the Tri-State area by the tone of your posts.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM

98 posts, read 204,247 times
I don't think it's a southern thing. I think it's a city vs. suburb thing. Could also be an age thing. I have lived in a number of southern cities and none of them are chain central...hello...New orleans? The epitome of locally owned, charming restaurants. Head over to Metairie...chains everywhere...definitely a suburban thing.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Red Lobster, Olive Garden, or any Darden Restaurant is locally owned if you're in Orlando .

Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM

98 posts, read 204,247 times
Plus, have you ever tried Yelp? You don't have to blindly go to bad pizza joints until you find the right one...do some research...check out some reviews. I mean, if you live in a decent sized city, you should be able to find most anything...i mean, yeah, you might not find great Ethiopian food in Meridian, Mississippi, but if you are in any non-suburban major city, you should be able to find something...Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, etc.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Most small towns in the South have locally owned restaurants that are usually the town tradition. The oldest restaurant in my town has been here since the 1950's and the walls are covered with old black and white photos. Most people around here know the daily lunch specials by heart.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM

138 posts, read 214,842 times
The fact that southerners are afraid of locally owned restaraunts is simply not true. There are no more locally owned places in the north then there are in the south.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You are losing me more and more with every post, and I find it more than amusing that you refuse to answer my simple question.

Again, if you have indeed ever been here, please specify just exactly what type of cuisine you enjoy regularly that you could not access here.

You just assume that there is no way that the quality can be the same - why? As far as ethnic offerings go, immigrants are immigrants are immigrants. Why in the world would you assume that the food quality is so far superior in the Northeast that people are actually being forced to eat at chains down here rather than partake of independent, ethnic places?

I'm beginning to think that you've never been outside of the Tri-State area by the tone of your posts.

I travel to the South (mostly TX, NC, SC, and FL) about once per month. As a foodie I always seek "local joints", and usually stick with regional specialties.

Apparently you and I have a difference of opinion. Let's just put it this way:

- Region A has tons of people who are FROM the country of the style of food that is being served.
- Region B also has a fair amount of people from these countries, but significantly less than Region A.

In which region would you expect the food to *generally* be better?

Or at least more plentiful?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
"Plentiful" does not equal "better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City