Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago versus Las Vegas
Las Vegas 55 23.81%
Chicago 180 77.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:39 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyinmyeyes34 View Post
Las Vegas is really artificial and tacky . It's built in the middle of a dry hot desert where nothing can survive without massive human intervention . Most of their water is bused in from the hoover dam and other sources. In comparison to Chicago which is built on the shores of Lake Michigan and is the third largest metro in the US. One is world class city the other is more of touristy place for people let loose and to gamble and to party..

Las Vegas is beyond tacky. It's the definitive root word. It's 'tack.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 11:58 PM

817 posts, read 628,454 times
Which city is better for a minimum wage worker? I'm shocked that Las Vegas has such a low minimum wage, $8 in Vegas vs $15 in Chicago

Old 02-05-2022, 09:41 AM

226 posts, read 133,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Which city is better for a minimum wage worker? I'm shocked that Las Vegas has such a low minimum wage, $8 in Vegas vs $15 in Chicago
Chicago and its not close. High minimum wage, good public transit and walkability so you don't need a car, higher pay in general, and similar rent prices, although chicago taxes are a killer, but if you're a minimum wage worker you're renting and dont have to worry about that.

Chicago easily...

Old 11-14-2023, 06:00 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Hmmm actually considering both cities

Old 11-14-2023, 06:17 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Chicago.

I would likely to get away from both for a few months (Chicago, winter; Vegas, summer) but Chicago is a great city with excellent urban amenities (walkability, restaurants, nightlife, arts, cool neighborhoods, etc)

Old 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
It’s much easier to escape the heat than the cold. Cold can have a negative impact on travel

Chicago is one of my favorite cities but the winters can be tough

Old 11-14-2023, 03:31 PM

860 posts, read 697,914 times
Chicago is the obvious choice because it actually is a real city and not a tourist trap surrounded by suburban sprawl like vegas is. Plus Chicago has better weather, a better music scene, better walkability, better transportation, better zoos and museums, better parks, and looks much better too.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:10 PM

946 posts, read 566,826 times
Neither city is what I'd call attractive, but I'd pick Las Vegas to live.

I can't deal with Chicago winters. Although Chicago wins on nightlife.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:57 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Neither city is what I'd call attractive, but I'd pick Las Vegas to live.

I can't deal with Chicago winters. Although Chicago wins on nightlife.
Are you sure about that? Vegas is KNOWN for its nightlife, has more of a 24/7 presence, and has a much more active array of performers that attract a wider variety of talent. Chicago is more of a sports bar-type city with your standard sporting venues and concert halls found in a city its size, as well as Second City and a few nightclubs here and there. It wins on under 21-oriented nightlife (and overall Gen Z culture) and traditional highbrow performances, but it seems like technology has had a much more negative impact on Chicago's than Vegas. I'd wish Chicago had a better skywalk and/or subterranean pedway system though to make those winters a little less intimidating.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:57 AM

946 posts, read 566,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Are you sure about that? Vegas is KNOWN for its nightlife, has more of a 24/7 presence, and has a much more active array of performers that attract a wider variety of talent. Chicago is more of a sports bar-type city with your standard sporting venues and concert halls found in a city its size, as well as Second City and a few nightclubs here and there. It wins on under 21-oriented nightlife (and overall Gen Z culture) and traditional highbrow performances, but it seems like technology has had a much more negative impact on Chicago's than Vegas. I'd wish Chicago had a better skywalk and/or subterranean pedway system though to make those winters a little less intimidating.
I mean neither city is a slouch on nightlife. But Chicago has SO much more culture to work with. The only culture in Vegas is the drinking and gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City