Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico vs Hawaii
Puerto Rico 40 27.97%
Hawaii 103 72.03%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Hawaii hands down. It's so much nicer and the topography is much more stricking.

PR was ghetto, dirty, and hot. ew.
Puerto Rico looks just as beautiful as Hawaii to me, they both have similar scenery and topography. Both have nice beaches, jungle rainforest, water falls, mountains etc... They even have similar weather it looks like, both get plenty of trade wind ocean breezes. Only difference that I can think of is PR having warmer water than Hawaii because of the Gulf Stream. And of course having the powdery white sand that is only found in the Caribbean (it's not in other parts of the world due to a specific kind of coral that is only in the Caribbean and Florida).

I know people who are from and moved to Puerto Rico, they say it's pretty safe. The only dangerous part are certain areas of San Juan, which is how it is in any large city. Also people in Puerto Rico do speak English, you will find many Americans and British people living there.

I think Hawaii is nice too though. But Puerto Rico seems like the better place to me, and the most realistic. You can easily afford a nice place in Puerto Rico, Hawaii not so much. Also something Hawaii people are leaving out or don't know about is that there is quite a bit of racism in Hawaii, many of the locals do not like whiteppeople from the mainland. You will be called Haole in a derogatory way quite a bit. The people who downplay this or say it doesn't happenare not bbeing honestor only stayed in thettourist areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:35 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
the only thing I will say is that when you go to Hawaii that says you're either in Hawaii or you're not you can't really island hop much. You can island hopping the Hawaiian Islands. but you can't really island hop the Pacific Islands the Pacific Islands isn't really set up geographically for you to island hop.however, in Puerto Rico you can go to Miami you can go to Mexico you can go to South America you can go to the US.
when you're in PR you don't necessarily feel so isolated. because the flight to Miami is like a 1 hour tops away.
my family and I have a winter home in a gated community in Porto Rico so we aren't really concerned with crime because we live in a safe area and only leave to.go.to.the. beach.
you don't really get island fever when you're in the Caribbean
My opinion
I think I would get 'gated community fever' if I were limited to a gated community and the beach.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Hawaii

Old 01-14-2017, 03:09 PM

828 posts, read 691,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
Which is better to visit? Which is better to live in? Which is better for fun? Which is better all around?
Visit: Puerto Rico. It is cheaper, friendlier, and it is only one island, so you can visit everywhere relatively easily. Hawaii is expensive, and you are visiting whichever island you happen to be on. The rest of the state is a plane flight away.

To live: Hawaii. Better schools, better economy, and English speaking. Puerto Rico is for the most part another country and culture, and the economy and schools are in terrible shape. If you want to live in a Latin country, try Costa Rica. Otherwise, move to Hawaii.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Hawaii

Old 02-26-2017, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,788 times
I was born and raised in Puerto Rico lived there for 25 years. as native islander i had always something to do making a little money, jobs don't pay well you need a college degree to make it
Also been in Hawaii and the water is the same the main difference is the language and isolation but right now Hawaii is better economically so if I have to pick I pick Hawaii. It is hard to say but the government of Puerto Rico is falling apart

Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,788 times
I agree with you I left 30 years ago and I have no plans to go back
Crime Rate is no joke unemployment rate record high and and an insane
Government they don't know what to do but just talk about it over and over
Go to Hawaii I stead less crime smaller islands except big island which is larger
Than Puerto Rico but with volcanic activity you don't want to live there just visit
The cost of living is higher because of its isolation it the taxes
Are much lower than Puerto Rico

Old 04-26-2017, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
I see all the usual/expected responses when comparing Honolulu to San Juan, or Oahu to PR. So what about comparing Maui to PR? Say, Kahana or Lahaina, and maybe Ponce or Rincon?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I've been to both several times and Hawaii wins on all fronts. Sorry PR, but Hawaii is better in almost every regard.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I've been to both several times and Hawaii wins on all fronts. Sorry PR, but Hawaii is better in almost every regard.
Cost of living? Cost of flights? Location/Accessibility? Culture? Food? Music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City