Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,944,812 times

Advertisements

Priceline has released a list of top North American travel destinations for the upcoming Labor Day Weekend. The survey is based on actual booking requests through Priceline and not on consumer preference polls, thus industry experts consider it an accurate predictor of Labor Day travel trends and the nation's most popular travel destinations.

Some cities made the list more than once (for example, NYC Midtown/Times Square and NYC Downtown/SoHo) so to simplify things the list below only includes the first reference for each city. If you want to study the expanded list go to their Web site.

1. NYC
2. Seattle
3. St. Louis
4. Chicago
5. Las Vegas
6. San Francisco
7. Boston
8. Monterey
9. San Diego
10. Virginia Beach
11. Miami / South Beach
12. St. Catherines / Niagara Falls
13. Montreal
14. San Antonio
15. Atlanta
16. Charleston
17. Atlantic City / Cape May
18. Napa / Sonoma
19. Savannah
20. New Orleans
21. Orange County / Disneyland / Anaheim
22. Victoria, BC
23. Santa Barbara
24. Key West
25. Lake Tahoe
26. Nashville
27. Austin
28. Minneapolis / St. Paul
29. Portland
30. Vancouver
31. Toronto

NOTE: For what it's worth, there's some significant destinations not on this list, most notably Orlando / Central Florida and Washington D.C. Any theories why that is? And though I hesitate to point it out ... neither Dallas or Houston are on the list, either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:29 AM

244 posts, read 568,527 times
NYC is really on a roll with the tourists

New York City on Track for Record Amount of Tourists in 2010 |

Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Once again, where the heck is Los Angeles? Orange County does not count as Los Angeles city proper...

Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Once again, where the heck is Los Angeles? Orange County does not count as Los Angeles city proper...
For its size and alleged awesomeness, LA isn't a popular vacation destination.

LA isn't popular, period. I'm not sure why.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
For its size and alleged awesomeness, LA isn't a popular vacation destination.

LA isn't popular, period. I'm not sure why.
Its really strange because I see stuff coming out and articles coming out all the time from Forbes and all these other places, but Los Angeles is always absent from them all. Chicago, Houston, Boston, Dallas, New York City end up in all of those articles but Los Angeles is left out...

I would have imaged with areas like Venice Beach, West Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, etc.. some of the most popularly known places in the country that Los Angeles (the city itself) would be more visited than Chicago & San Francisco and just as much as Washington DC or something.

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-23-2010 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Punctuation was off

Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
I thought AC/Cape May would be higher than that. Heaps of NYers and Philly folks flock there every Labor and Memorial Day.
I bet this is based on actual numbers- That can be a bit misleading depending on the size of the actual destination.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I thought AC/Cape May would be higher than that. Heaps of NYers and Philly folks flock there every Labor and Memorial Day.
I bet this is based on actual numbers- That can be a bit misleading depending on the size of the actual destination.
How?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 AM

235 posts, read 344,886 times
Quote:
How?
The premise of the Priceline survey is that people are sticking close to home mostly this Labor Day I think ... All of the top destinations are draws in their regions with the exception maybe of NYC which is just such a huge draw nationally. The actual list is pretty specific bit still doesn't include any LA areas except Orange County but isn't that where most of the touristy stuff like theme parks and best beaches are? People just don't say hey let's go to Pasadena or West Hollywood for Labor Day.

The Priceline.com Ekspert Travel Blog - Main Page

Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
How?

I would imagine based on this methodology many shore/beach towns all over the US are underepresented. Priceline is for hotels, air, rental car etc. Many beach towns in the US would not be primarially sourced from such a site. Most people drive and many hotels/etc aren't even coordinated with these sites for places like the Jersey shore for example. I would also imagine this is the case with lakes, mountains, campgrounds etc.

This study is probably a better barometer for travel of longer distances and is relevant, especially when factoring air travel, hotels etc.

Having said that I know where I will be, and I didn't need priceline to get me there.

As an aside, I believe the Jersey Shore is visited by 40 million people a year, though that is a gross overstatement as many are double counted on multiple weekend/week long trips.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,740,392 times
Quote:
NYC is really on a roll with the tourists

New York City on Track for Record Amount of Tourists in 2010 |
when they finish that building tourism will skyrocket. 2011 should be really interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City