Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Honestly, I don't know what the bickering is all about, I really like the Freedom Tower and its neighbors. I think its a great project and most certainly will be beautiful. It might not be Manhattan-esque, but cities change and so do skylines. New York is a city that will constantly change and morph itself through time, you just have to accept it.

Btw, that picture of the original World Trade Center strikes a sad chord to me . Even though the towers weren't of any special design, their big and brawny presence just fit perfectly with NY's skyline. It also took New Yorkers a while to get used to it, I think the same will happen for the Freedom Tower. It's sad how the original twin towers are fading more distantly to the past, becoming nothing more than just faint memories of what was there, long ago. It's already been 9 years, soon arriving a decade since its collapse.
I don't think everyone is bickering...some people like myself don't like the new design. I'm fine with new architecture being introduced to the skyline, as that's how skylines evolve. However, I think that the new design is not as creative or as definitive of the power of lower Manhattan, like the originals were. Each of those original towers showed the brawn that was the NYC economy. The new tower just doesn't do it for me.

Another point is that the original towers were largely hated by NYC residents for most of their lifespan (in terms of architecture and appeal). Tower 1 and 2 are more beloved now that they've been destroyed, than they were when they were still standing. It may just take time for the completed tower to be accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 AM

179 posts, read 402,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I don't think everyone is bickering...some people like myself don't like the new design. I'm fine with new architecture being introduced to the skyline, as that's how skylines evolve. However, I think that the new design is not as creative or as definitive of the power of lower Manhattan, like the originals were. Each of those original towers showed the brawn that was the NYC economy. The new tower just doesn't do it for me.

Another point is that the original towers were largely hated by NYC residents for most of their lifespan (in terms of architecture and appeal). Tower 1 and 2 are more beloved now that they've been destroyed, than they were when they were still standing. It may just take time for the completed tower to be accepted.
Like the Eiffel Tower. Everyone hated it when it was first built. Look at it now. It is the most iconic symbol of Paris, maybe even France.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Don't place bets on it. Chicago's ego is thousands of feet higher than the Willis/Sears Tower. Even if they have to pass an additional sales tax to get it built, my guess is it will get built. No buyers for the condo's. No problem!
They'll turn it into the world's tallest prison or mini-storage building.

From what I understand, buyers for the condos were not the problem. They were lining up from around the world. The issue is the sum needed to back the project. This was the main reason why Shelbourne Development purchased the project. They in turn have experienced issues of their own in finacing the project.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Don't be so bummed about the Chicago spire being shut down. I hear things that it's not being shut down for sure yet. Anyway it would not be that great anyway, its at a terrible location and would kill the chicago skyline. But don't be surprised in the next few years if chicago is announcing a new supertall. Im still surprised a city like atlanta, dallas, houston, la have not been announcing any really tall buildings
This approved in Philly, but awaiting a tenant - they actually have the funding secured as well. Though will be ~250ft shorter than the new WTC tower at 1510 ft

American Commerce Center - Philadelphia

http://designphiladelphia.files.word...rce-center.jpg

http://phillyist.com/attachments/philly_matt/080313.jpg

Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This approved in Philly, but awaiting a tenant - they actually have the funding secured as well. Though will be ~250ft shorter than the new WTC tower at 1510 ft

American Commerce Center - Philadelphia
It's been hard to get updates on this tower being built. What do you think the chances are that it will actually happen?

I love the design. I've heard a lot of people that don't like the lower half, but I think it's unique, interesting and will be great for serving unique amenities (e.g. restaurants, fountains). I also love how aggressive the design is at the top...very bold.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
It's been hard to get updates on this tower being built. What do you think the chances are that it will actually happen?

I love the design. I've heard a lot of people that don't like the lower half, but I think it's unique, interesting and will be great for serving unique amenities (e.g. restaurants, fountains). I also love how aggressive the design is at the top...very bold.
Two things I know

1 - Building is approved
2 - Financing is secured via an arrangment with a pension fund

From my understanding there is discussions to get a key tenant that has not yet been secured.

I think there is a decent chance it will be built but construction would likely not start for at least a year or more. Rumors have included Unisys/GE/GSK (whose lease at 1 and 3 Franklin runs out in the next few years)

So we will see...

One other part is I do understand they have a tenant for the hotel portion and the rooms are needed within two years when the expanded Philly Convention center will be the largest Conferance facility in the NE and I believe one of the 5 largest in the country.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Two things I know

1 - Building is approved
2 - Financing is secured via an arrangment with a pension fund

From my understanding there is discussions to get a key tenant that has not yet been secured.

I think there is a decent chance it will be built but construction would likely not start for at least a year or more. Rumors have included Unisys/GE/GSK (whose lease at 1 and 3 Franklin runs out in the next few years)

So we will see...

One other part is I do understand they have a tenant for the hotel portion and the rooms are needed within two years when the expanded Philly Convention center will be the largest Conferance facility in the NE and I believe one of the 5 largest in the country.
Great info, thanks. That new addition to the Convention Center is going to be impressive. I think it's going to have a great impact on that area, and can see how the ACC would be needed to support the additional activity.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Great info, thanks. That new addition to the Convention Center is going to be impressive. I think it's going to have a great impact on that area, and can see how the ACC would be needed to support the additional activity.

Philadephia like most American cities has poor transportion infrastructure so a big tower downtown might not be so attractive when you either have to rely on SEPTA (to the locals Septic) or the Schuykill Expressway (aka Sure-Kill Crawlway) or I-95 and the Big Ben Bridge to get to and from work every day.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Midtown is actually getting 3 new thousand + footers..

You forgot Carnegie 57, which is already under construction in Midtown.

Actually more.

The Girasole 1000ft

World Product Center 1000ft

Hudson Yards Proposal

Many more new buildings that look better than the ones above, just not 1000ft+ New buildings - SkyscraperCity

Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Smh, in my opinion the Girasole is too close to the Empire State Building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City