Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly the new 6th (NYC) borough?
Yes 3 3.45%
No 62 71.26%
No (But many similarites and relative proximity) 22 25.29%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 36,448 times

Advertisements

I still wouldn't trade Brooklyn for Philly.

If anything, Jersey City/Yonkers have more of a case for 6th borough than Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
What a silly thread. Is this debate for real? Philly is about as much a part of NYC as Miami is. Haha.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Dude. Im sorry but Philly is so much more diversified and robust in every spectrum imaginable in comparison to Brooklyn.

Philly you run the gamut from Powerhouse cosmopolitan downtown with 8 Fortune 500 HQ's, top 5 cultural center, top 5 historical center,200 yr old covered bridges,200 ft natural gorges, 125 distinct neighborhoods, Fairmount Park which is about 1/5th the size of Brooklyn, an industrial and shipping giant still to this day,dozens of colleges + universities, an international airport that generates $15 b dollars a year and has 35 million passengers per year.

Brooklyn is South Philly on steroids but no match for Philly overall.
I am going to agree with Rainrock here. I have roots in Brooklyn myself but I have to admit that Philadelphia is far more of a complete city than Brooklyn. I think that Fairmount Park beats Prospect Park by size alone, although I still love Prospect. The one thing that Brooklyn trounces Philadelphia on is that Brooklyn has a much better coastline.

Anyway, there are alot similarities between the cities and I think both are very cool.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Why anybody would consider a completely different city, with it's own metro, that's 80 miles from NYC, to be a borough of NYC is absolutely beyond me.
Yeah. I've never even been in that part of the country, but geographically and historically it doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Dude. Im sorry but Philly is so much more diversified and robust in every spectrum imaginable in comparison to Brooklyn.

Philly you run the gamut from Powerhouse cosmopolitan downtown with 8 Fortune 500 HQ's, top 5 cultural center, top 5 historical center,200 yr old covered bridges,200 ft natural gorges, 125 distinct neighborhoods, Fairmount Park which is about 1/5th the size of Brooklyn, an industrial and shipping giant still to this day,dozens of colleges + universities, an international airport that generates $15 b dollars a year and has 35 million passengers per year.

Manhattan makes everything you typed void. Thus philly becomes unnecessary and not a substitute for brooklyn or any other borough

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:

Not that it'll ever happen, but if Philly was any one of the NYC boroughs (minus Manhattan), NY would rocket far ahead ($$-wise) of any city in the world.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
Philly is it's own city with its own identity. A good deal of this 6th borough stuff either comes from people who don't travel enough outside of their respective metropolitan areas or idiotic real estate agents trying to make a quick buck.

In general northeastern cities share a lot in common through their housing stocks/development histories.

Once you spend time in Philly (i'm not talking about a bolt bus day trip), you'll find that the city has so much to offer beyond what you hear in media.

If you really want to talk about a 6th borough I think nowadays its called western nassau county lol

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
This thread just needs to die- The poll speaks for itself.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This thread just needs to die- The poll speaks for itself.
Probably we made much ado about nothing. I am guessing MOST people who say that Philadelphia is the 6th borough are really talking about the increasing connections and of course the closeness of the two cities. They are not really saying that Philly should be part of NYC.

Notice I say MOST people, lol.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
all i gotta say is living in Philly - looking out my rear window, the housing and kids on the street reminds me of Queens

i'm not comparing it to the other boroughs, and JC, Hoboken, Ft lee, Weehawken, Cliff park, Union City etc.. should all be considered the 6th borough.....NOT Yonkers lol

i lived in Yonkers for 4 yrs of my long life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City