Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Houston doesn't really have suburbs in the traditional sense. Its "true" suburbs are within in the city of Houston. The city has captured its suburbs for the tax revenue.

The places you named are exurban, by any other metro's definition. They are far from the core, lack public transportation, are low density(under 3,000 ppsm), and don't have contiguous developement connected to the city.

The "real" city of Houston aka the inner loop, is not only smaller than brooklyn, but also alot of other cities Houston claims to be bigger than(DC, SanFran, Boston, Philly, Miami, Detroit) those cities don't have the luxury of annexing thier suburbs, or they would blow Houston out of the water. As an actual "city", IMO Houston is like Atlanta with inferior public transportation. Maybe even Atlanta would be a bigger city than Houston if it was over 600 sq. miles?

Nothing against Houston though. Its a cool city. Its just not anywhere near on the same level of some cities of the cities it likes to compare itself with. Its the poster child for why city proper population numbers are a meaningless metric in 2010.
Houston, as far back as I can remember, has been the 4th largest city according to the U.S. Census. This isn't a claim or moniker that was generated by the people of the city. Why all of a sudden in the last few years do people take issue with that? I don't see any other city's population numbers on this forum, be disputed, disregarded, and dismissed as hard as Houston's....

Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Houston, as far back as I can remember, has been the 4th largest city according to the U.S. Census. This isn't a claim or moniker that was generated by the people of the city. Why all of a sudden in the last few years do people take issue with that? I don't see any other city's population numbers on this forum, be disputed, disregarded, and dismissed as hard as Houston's....
its the usual City Data crazies bending and twisting things to escape the fact that the city of Houston is the 4th largest city in the US

Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well a lot of people on here don't have a mind of their own, so they jump on some other's comments (no matter how silly they may be), and run away with it.

The way they spoke you would think that the majority of Americans detested cars. I know that public transportation is essential for growing cities, but they act like cars are the most hated invention on earth. they say that, then turn off the computer and jump into their cars

LOL! I detect alot of lying, pontificating and phoniness (perhaps some envy too).... I agree, alot of bandwagoing to. I see that it's the in thing now, having urban or urbanlike density. Houston simply is: WYSIWYG.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
its the usual City Data crazies bending and twisting things to escape the fact that the city of Houston is the 4th largest city in the US
and one wonders to some extent what troubles them about our fair city?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
No one cares what Houston's rank is. DFW is the 4th largest Metro in the U.S and I can't even recall the last time the region was bashed. The "attacks" on Houston stem from reckless posters who create threads (much like this one) that get blown out of proportion when Houstonians make crazy statements that are nowhere near the truth

Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
HTown I gave up my 2 acres and 4,500 sq ft house in the burbs to move back into the city. I was miserable there (maybe on CD too)

And also is my exact point on the city just as people choose the burbs there are also people that choose the city, not because they cant afford but because they choose to, and many times these neighborhoods cost more not less, your statement and rebuttal is grossly inaccurate and that is and was my original point.

sometimes the issue is the commute. ALot of people want to be closer to work. Sometimes employers/corporate companies are within the city limits. The other issue is commuting to places like the theater or major league sports venues. The suburbs often times don't contain these facilities. Yet and still, there are those that don't care about the communte to and from the suburbs because of the space and quiet. More house, more space, etc. It's all relative, I guess....

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
No one cares what Houston's rank is. DFW is the 4th largest Metro in the U.S and I can't even recall the last time the region was bashed. The "attacks" on Houston stem from reckless posters who create threads (much like this one) that get blown out of proportion when Houstonians make crazy statements that are nowhere near the truth

The truth is that Houston is the 4th Largest city in the U.S. Say what you will, but that is according to the U.S. Census. That's what truly counts.

There is alot of misconception about Houston. In addition, there are many on here that bash Houston based on completely inaccurate, subjective views. You got people in here bashing having backyards, just because the subject is Houston and suburban living. That is crazzzy!!!(lol). Since when is having a backyard idiotic???

The article posted in this thread, imo, was nothing to be salty over. But I guess anything that vaguely (and i mean vaguely) favors Houston, is sour to others.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
The truth is that Houston is the 4th Largest city in the U.S. Say what you will, but that is according to the U.S. Census. That's what truly counts.

There is alot of misconception about Houston. In addition, there are many on here that bash Houston based on completely inaccurate, subjective views. You got people in here bashing having backyards, just because the subject is Houston and suburban living. That is crazzzy!!!(lol). Since when is having a backyard idiotic???

The article posted in this thread, imo, was nothing to be salty over. But I guess anything that vaguely (and i mean vaguely) favors Houston, is sour to others.
Its true, they will do anything to discredit Houston. Just look at the poster you quoted attempt at discrediting Houston being the 4th largest city in the US.

Ask yourself this: How many times you have heard a news clip start "Houston, the 4th largest city in the US" then ask yourself how many times you have heard a new clip about metros?

All the news clips I have heard refer to Houston as america's 4th largest city. It is why should they not?

but some crazies on here want to do msa/ csa magic to come up with something different. When mainstream america starts using MSA then we might talk, until then, these posters live in la la land

Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
I don't even know why I am going to respond to this, but no one has said that Houston isn't the fourth largest city in the U.S. Can you provide a source anywhere that someone has said otherwise?

Quote:
Again, most people don't think having a backyard is moronic. I have a backyard.

Quote:
Mhm

Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I agree, this article is nothing to get salty over. Brooklyn's not an independent city, and it makes no sense to talk about a municipality as physically large as Houston in comparison to a borough that's far smaller. If this were a more interesting argument rather than just a riff off of some silly editorial online (let's say a comparison of museums, night life, public transportation, diversity, economy, etc.) it might be more interesting. Brooklyn's an interesting place. Houston's an interesting place. Compare and discuss that instead.

Anyhow, what's wrong with talking about MSA's? Is it simply because it's more reasonable and most people on this board (we are on a webforum called city-data that specifically discusses these things) know and care a bit more about cities, urban planning, etc, than most people? Oh how terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City