Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raleigh/Seattle
Seattle 21 77.78%
Raleigh 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,946 times

Advertisements

Which city is better? I like Seattle a lot, but is it's cost of living worth the difference between it and Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Which city is better? I like Seattle a lot, but is it's cost of living worth the difference between it and Raleigh?
Define better. Everyone has a different set of criteria. The Raleigh area is cheaper, friendlier and the jobs outlook from my understanding is better.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
While Raleigh is the second largest city in NC, it cannot begin to offer the sorts of city amenities that a place like Seattle has. If city life is your thing you should stick with Seattle. Winters in both places are relatively mild, however summers in Raleigh are hot, humid and long while Seattle has a fantastic summer climate. The jobs situation in the greater Raleigh area is OK given that the area has a pretty diverse economy, but unemployment remains quite high at almost 10%. I certainly wouldn't move to Raleigh for jobs right now unless you already have one lined up. Cost of living is reasonable in Raleigh, but most folks find it's not quite as affordable as they expected once they get here.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Both cities are good for IT workers. I would say Raleigh is better for families, Seattle is better for singles. I know both cities pretty well as my sister lives in Raleigh and I spent most of my 20's in Seattle.

Raleigh is a very vanilla city and suburban, not a bad thing. It is what it is. If one is looking for gainful employment, plenty of educational opportunities, all the basic necessities, a nice cul de sac with a big house to raise a family and minimal riff raff then Raleigh is perfect. It's a few hours to the ocean, and a few hours to the mountains. The topography surrounding Raleigh is just piedmont pines, nothing special. But the area is pleasant enough. Chapel Hill is a pretty town and adds some eclectic college town character to the area but it is small. Duke University in Durham has one of the most beautiful college campuses I've ever seen.

Seattle is A LOT more eclectic. It's a city with very distinctive neighborhoods with a lot of character and characters to be sure. From counter culture, to old salt fisherman, to trendy yuppies there is a neighborhood that will fit the bill, at a cost. The COL is very high in Seattle. Is it worth it? That depends on your income and career. If you make $12 an hour then you may be struggling to enjoy the wonderful amenities that Seattle has to offer. If you can swing it though then this city is brilliant. Seattle has a very urban downtown with new high-rise condo towers being constructed. The outer neighborhoods are like an urban/suburban hybrid with plenty of trees and scenic parkland. If one likes to support local small businesses like a European bakery, a butcher shop, local produce markets, or a dizzying array of local coffee joints then this a great city live in. The mountains, ocean (Puget Sound), and lakes are all right at the city's doorstep. Plenty of ample recreation opportunities are very close by.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-20-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
While Raleigh is the second largest city in NC, it cannot begin to offer the sorts of city amenities that a place like Seattle has. If city life is your thing you should stick with Seattle. Winters in both places are relatively mild, however summers in Raleigh are hot, humid and long while Seattle has a fantastic summer climate. The jobs situation in the greater Raleigh area is OK given that the area has a pretty diverse economy, but unemployment remains quite high at almost 10%. I certainly wouldn't move to Raleigh for jobs right now unless you already have one lined up. Cost of living is reasonable in Raleigh, but most folks find it's not quite as affordable as they expected once they get here.
The Triangle's unemployment rate is not that high. The Triangle has the lowest rate in the state among the major metros. I think it's closer to 8%, if not a bit lower. The rate in both NC and the Triangle is generally better since last year.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM

These two cities are completely different animals. The Seattle area is huge compared to Raleigh (even the total Triangle area).

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM

866 posts, read 1,559,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Define better. Everyone has a different set of criteria. The Raleigh area is cheaper, friendlier and the jobs outlook from my understanding is better.
I mean, which would you rather live in if you were a professional either with a family or planning on having one. Which would you get more 'bang for your buck'?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Both cities are good for IT workers. I would say Raleigh is better for families, Seattle is better for singles. I know both cities pretty well as my sister lives in Raleigh and I spent most of my 20's in Seattle.

Raleigh is a very vanilla city and suburban, not a bad thing. It is what it is. If one is looking for gainful employment, plenty of educational opportunities, all the basic necessities, a nice cul de sac with a big house to raise a family and minimal riff raff then Raleigh is perfect. It's a few hours to the ocean, and a few hours to the mountains. The topography surrounding Raleigh is just piedmont pines, nothing special. But the area is pleasant enough. Chapel Hill is a pretty town and adds some eclectic college town character to the area but it is small. Duke University in Durham has one of the most beautiful college campuses I've ever seen.

Seattle is A LOT more eclectic. It's a city with very distinctive neighborhoods with a lot of character and characters to be sure. From counter culture, to old salt fisherman, to trendy yuppies there is a neighborhood that will fit the bill, at a cost. The COL is very high in Seattle. Is it worth it? That depends on your income and career. If you make $12 an hour then you may be struggling to enjoy the wonderful amenities that Seattle has to offer. If you can swing it though then this city is brilliant. Seattle has a very urban downtown with new high-rise condo towers being constructed. The outer neighborhoods are like an urban/suburban hybrid with plenty of trees and scenic parkland. If one likes to support local small businesses like a European bakery, a butcher shop, local produce markets, or a dizzying array of local coffee joints then this a great city live in. The mountains, ocean (Puget Sound), and lakes are all right at the city's doorstep. Plenty of ample recreation opportunities are very close by.
Over the last decade, Raleigh is finally finding its urban footing. For someone young, this is a terrific time to be on the ground floor of a city that gives you the opportunity to shape what is to come. If and when this recession ends, Raleigh is going to be one of the places in this country to see even more rapid develpment and investment in its core. A decade ago, it was a ghost town after working hours but that's certainly not the case now. It's certainly nowhere near Seattle's level but, then again, greater Raleigh is nowhere near the size of greater Seattle.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Over the last decade, Raleigh is finally finding its urban footing. For someone young, this is a terrific time to be on the ground floor of a city that gives you the opportunity to shape what is to come. If and when this recession ends, Raleigh is going to be one of the places in this country to see even more rapid develpment and investment in its core. A decade ago, it was a ghost town after working hours but that's certainly not the case now. It's certainly nowhere near Seattle's level but, then again, greater Raleigh is nowhere near the size of greater Seattle.
I'll meet you halfway and say Raleigh is probably good for the "urban pioneer" in a sense that it has not yet evolved into what it will someday become. The area's population is surprisingly diverse; people from all over the world settle in RDU. Taking my nieces to a playground in Cary I observed a very diverse group of people. Durham seems to have old school urban bones in which I see potential but from people I've met in RDU; Durham still has a stigma to it (in the same tune as Tacoma is to Seattle). That is really too bad considering it has one of the most prestigious universities in the country. Perhaps another good place for the urban pioneer. Time will tell.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-20-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'll meet you halfway and say Raleigh is probably good for the "urban pioneer" in a sense that it has not yet evolved into what it will someday become. The area's population is surprisingly diverse; people from all over the world settle in RDU. Taking my nieces to a playground in Cary I observed a very diverse group of people. Durham seems to have old school urban bones in which I see potential but from people I've met in RDU; Durham still has a stigma to it (in the same tune as Tacoma is to Seattle). That is really too bad considering it has one of the most prestigious universities in the country. Perhaps another good place for the urban pioneer. Time will tell.
I'd say it's beyond being urban pioneer. That was in the mid 90's. I know because I WAS one of those urban pioneers in Raleigh. I bought a warehouse conversion condo for next to nothing and everyone thought I was making a mistake. Well, I have tripled my investment and now the immediate area has turned into a entertainment district with hundred of urban condos and apartments as well as a variety of entertainment options and dining.

I don't think that, when condos are sold for $300 a SF, one can still consider it "urban pioneer". Since the recession started, prices for them have dropped some but nowhere near the $67 a SF that I paid for my first investment DT 15 years ago.

A lot has changed in the last two decades in Raleigh. Time was that Cary was practically all white with "diversity" meaning a Jewish family moved from New York. East and South Asians make up a significant chunk of the population now and the Hispanic population is growing rapidly as well.

My family moved to Raleigh in 1974 from the Bay Area of California. Since then, the city has been on a remarkable journey and I only imagine it to continue that ride for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City