Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hey it's Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia!

Seriously it sounds like you have never left Philly.

Lack of a 'white culture'? LA was largely developed and marketed as the "Great White Spot on America". Seriously. Not something to be proud of but makes your claim that there is no white culture here absurd.

LA is not known for its "huge homes". Unless everything you know about LA was gleened from 'Selling Los Angeles', you would know that.

I didn't move to LA to "be somebody". Or for the fun, sun, or women. I moved for work, like 90-99 percent of the population. If anything, Los Angeles is one of the more blue collar cities in the nation.

Either way, none of this flimsy criteria is really convincing anyone that LA is not a mega-city.
You don't seem to understand what "white culture" is. It's Italians, Irish, Polish, etc etc. Sorry but Anglo-Saxons and other well-off white people in fact have no culture whatsoever. That's because they didn't have to live in ghettos and band together as a community in a harsh reality.

Except it is known for exactly that. Huge homes (mostly celebrity homes) and sprawl, and the entertainment industry. And of course immigrants.

No, it definitely isn't. Blue collar requires work ethic. Seriously, LA is one of the more blue collar cities in the nation? Are you kidding me?

I've already said that LA is a Megacity, so maybe I don't know actually read through a thread before you go posting on it and trying to get all condescending (which is honestly really quite amusing to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
More clevername "Rules":

1. Only one megacity per coast.

2. A megacity must be "far enough" from other megacities. (Does that mean that Osaka (urban population 15m+) can not be a megacity because it's only 300 miles from Tokyo? And what about London and Paris?)

3. It must be 10m "city population" (whatever the hell that means). I wonder how many megacities that would leave us. LOL
Actually, I said per US Coast, first of all, and in reality the Northwest can't really ever have one because the only possibly Megacities up that way would be in Canada.

I also specifically said I think it would be more like 5 million people within the city limits, not 10 million, and only if it is a certain amount of square miles in area. The fact that LA is almost 200 square miles larger than New York and has almost 5 million less people clearly shows that if it weren't for Hollywood and the Post-war Americana it represented to so many Americans, it wouldn't ever be a Megacity.

Again, don't ever compare Old World cities to ones in the US or Canada. Ever.

But do continue. You provide just as much amusement as the other Cali boosters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Megacity = metro population that exceeds 10 million. Nothing more, nothing less. It isn't a seal of approval like you're making it out to be. All this nonsense about L.A. being a megacity because of Hollywood has nothing to with anything. L.A. is a megacity because its metro population is 13 million; it's urbanized area, 15 million; and it's CSA is 18 million. And that's that.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 02-24-2012 at 12:37 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
^^Aand the thread comes full-circle. Again.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
LA is a mega city, anyway you cut it.

Preemptive, but I would say Chicago is too. It is close enough.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Except it is known for exactly that. Huge homes (mostly celebrity homes) and sprawl, and the entertainment industry. And of course immigrants.
Ok I'll concede that LA is known for huge homes in the hills to those whom all their knowledge of Los Angeles is gleaned from TV or movies.

Quote:
No, it definitely isn't. Blue collar requires work ethic. Seriously, LA is one of the more blue collar cities in the nation? Are you kidding me?
Blue Collar requires blue collar jobs. As one of the largest port cities in the US and one of the largest (if not the largest) manufacturing city in the US, I would say LA is definitely blue collar.

Oh, and in regard to 'Hollywood' that you speak of, what do you think the gaffers, PAs, cameramen, technical crews, etc are? Blue collar workers.

Quote:
I also specifically said I think it would be more like 5 million people within the city limits, not 10 million, and only if it is a certain amount of square miles in area. The fact that LA is almost 200 square miles larger than New York and has almost 5 million less people clearly shows that if it weren't for Hollywood and the Post-war Americana it represented to so many Americans, it wouldn't ever be a Megacity.
What on earth does the bolded mean?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:46 AM

124 posts, read 101,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I've wondered about this, we already have two that fall under this classification, New York City & Los Angeles with a third just a few years away from entering this league (practically already is) Chicago.

Megacity means 10,000,000 people or more in the metropolitan area.

But here's my question, with 3 American megacities already down for the count, what about the next largest metropolitan area? Washington DC-Baltimore CSA with 8.7 Million people.

Will they call Washington DC a megacity, or will they call Washington DC-Baltimore "Megacities" because the metropolitan area has two principle cities.
Also the same case for Dallas-Fort Worth when it reaches that point, and the Bay Area (San Jose, San Francisco, & Oakland). Will these three metros be called "Megacity" or "Megacities"?

Just curious to see what others think.
10 years later...The U.S. still has the same 3 'mega cities'. NY, LA and CHI.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
10 years later...The U.S. still has the same 3 'mega cities'. NY, LA and CHI.
I never considered Chicago to be a mega-city. I thought it was based on city proper? Its certainly one of the worlds great cities, but mega?

Also, DC/Baltimore is laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacity

Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM

676 posts, read 647,927 times
Chicago's a great city, a world city, an urbanist's playground with a fantastic skyline but it is not a Megacity yet. Nowadays I personally use the 12 mil mark at the cutoff, which is as arbitrary as 10 mil anyway - as there are some decidedly obvious megacities above it - Paris, Rio, Buenos Airies, London - but some more "not quite there yet" cities just below it - several second tier Indian/Chinese cities in particular like Jinan and Chennai.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:36 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Chicago's a great city, a world city, an urbanist's playground with a fantastic skyline but it is not a Megacity yet. Nowadays I personally use the 12 mil mark at the cutoff, which is as arbitrary as 10 mil anyway - as there are some decidedly obvious megacities above it - Paris, Rio, Buenos Airies, London - but some more "not quite there yet" cities just below it - several second tier Indian/Chinese cities in particular like Jinan and Chennai.

Chicago as a megacity is a tough one. I could see subjective arguments either way, but the arbiter would be the 10M threshold, so until then, I'd say Chicago is not a megacity. Parid is borderline given that it's city proper population is ~2.6, but it swells to nearly 12 in broader urbanized area, so by rule, I think it probably is.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
By American metro Standards Toronto would be close. Probably by 2022
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City