Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

It can really go either way, I feel it's Mid-Atlantic but I won't dispute someone who says Southern.

When I was there I didn't feel like I was in the South at all, I had fun though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM

386 posts, read 987,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Aside from a lot of transplants, how exactly does the area feel mid-Atlantic?
I would say the accent by some residents is kind of midatlantic and southern for others. If you listen to some AA natives such as Pharrel, Clipse, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Morning, Missy Elliot, Michael Vick, etc I don't think they sound that different from natives of the DC area. Many white natives also don't have southern accents, which is also similar to the DC/NOVA area, and different from the Richmond area. The traffic is like a mild version of NOVA also. The feel of the area is southern in some ways (parts of Portsmouth/Hampton/all of Suffolk/Chesapeake) and then Midatlantic in others (parts of Norfolk, many parts of NN/Va Beach). Some locals consider themselves southern while others consider themselves to be from the midatlantic. I guess the area is a combination of southern and midatlantic overall.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I'd say the Hampton Roads area is a unique hybrid of southern and tidewater regions culturally. I wouldn't put in the same category as D.C. - Baltimore area because of some significant differences. For one thing, it has a much smaller population. And other characteristics like population density, mass transit and per capita income are not similar to those of the D.C. - Baltimore area or other major northeast/mid-Atlantic cities.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-08-2010 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say the Hampton Roads area is a unique hybrid of southern and tidewater regions culturally. I wouldn't put in the same category as D.C. - Baltimore area because of some significant differences. For one thing, it has a much smaller population. And other characteristics like population density, mass transit and per capita income are not similar to those of the D.C. - Baltimore area or other major northeast/mid-Atlantic cities.
That's why I asked why some consider the region to be mid-Atlantic because from an urban standpoint, it lacks those characteristics you mentioned.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Now we are arguing if Virginia is Southern? Since places are constantly evolving from stereotypes can't we just redefine " southern ".

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
When I was in school there in 2002-2003 the area felt different. But it was a military and coastal different. The area does feel like Baltimore to me. But then you have Williamburg and Suffolk which are without a doubt Southern. Therefore, due to the nature of the suburbs (and Chesapeake and Portsmouth and Hampton) I'd say the area is hybrid Southern.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I would say the accent by some residents is kind of midatlantic and southern for others. If you listen to some AA natives such as Pharrel, Clipse, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Morning, Missy Elliot, Michael Vick, etc I don't think they sound that different from natives of the DC area. Many white natives also don't have southern accents, which is also similar to the DC/NOVA area, and different from the Richmond area. The traffic is like a mild version of NOVA also. The feel of the area is southern in some ways (parts of Portsmouth/Hampton/all of Suffolk/Chesapeake) and then Midatlantic in others (parts of Norfolk, many parts of NN/Va Beach). Some locals consider themselves southern while others consider themselves to be from the midatlantic. I guess the area is a combination of southern and midatlantic overall.
I echo this post 100%. I actually would recall laughing at some of the VA natives of the area when they said they were northerners. I would kindly remind them the capital of the confederacy was in VA.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Hybrid Southern and Mid-Atlantic. I have family in Hampton and Norfolk, so I see the traditions of both regions. It doesn't feel like the DC area, but it doesn't feel like Raleigh-Durham either. Richmond feels more southern than "Naw-fick,"and its to the Northwest! VA Beach feels like a mixture of the Jersey Shore and a Florida suburb.

The Hampton Roads region is definitely a complex region to pin down. I think the military and maritime influence gives it a different feel from the rest of Virginia. It sort of reminds me of a less southern version of Jacksonville or a more southern version of Tampa, LOL.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
I had a little time to think about it but regarding the accents, it is to my understanding that John Warner has a classic White DC accent. Can anyone from the DC area confirm that?

Anyway, my point is that I hear a lot of TideWater in his speech:

John Warner vid

I have to mention that this way of speaking is in decline in the DC area but it's still the original dialect. Regarding the native BMore dialect, there's pieces of the Tidewater accent in it too from what I've heard. Please correct me if this is way off.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Southern/..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City