Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Why shouldn't Philly be in this poll? Because its not stereotypical DC, ATL, NO, down-south blackness?
Also...

I wouldn't really categorize NO as your typical "down south blackness" (whatever that means). It's related to other black people in the South, but they have different origins, lingo and dialects, customs, etc. It's a whole different world.

As for DC and ATL, nothing could be further from the truth at looking at the vein of just your typical "down south blackness" (again, whatever that means).

Both cities are filled with not only southern blacks. Both DC and Atlanta have the second and third largest native African populations in the country respectively with both well over 100k (and the PARTY harder than most people I know). I can't speak much for DC, but in Atlanta you are just as likely to run in to a black person who grew up in the South as you are a Northeasterner (New Yorkers for the most part) or a Midwesterner (Detroiters mostly).

Whatever image is running through your head about what AA nightlife is in Atlanta, forget about it. It runs the gamut from dancehall, to deep house, to upscale lounge, to underground hip-hop to mainstream to whatever. What takes the cake for us is, um, an over abundance of "houses of gentlemanly entertainment".

Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
There's really no reason to consult the Census and actual data when it comes to West Indians. Trinijunglejuice is the only trustworthy source for all things West Indian. Based on the size of Atlanta's carnival, I bet the area's West Indian population has quadrupled since 2000. It's becoming that large now. I think that most West Indians head to New York first, and then trickle down to DC because of Howard and the W.I. population down there. But now that the word's out about Atlanta, West Indians have been headed down there in droves.

Unplugged ft Gyazette, Judah and Freetown Collective | Jungle Juice - Let the Juice flow... Caribbean Entertainment at it's best!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
yep, because west indians you probably live in areas like college park, decatur, east point, etc. don't own any clubs in the city or surrounding area...that city proper argument is a fail. atlanta has far more west indians. period

Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's really no reason to consult the Census and actual data when it comes to West Indians. Trinijunglejuice is the only trustworthy source for all things West Indian. Based on the size of Atlanta's carnival, I bet the area's West Indian population has quadrupled since 2000. It's becoming that large now. I think that most West Indians head to New York first, and then trickle down to DC because of Howard and the W.I. population down there. But now that the word's out about Atlanta, West Indians have been headed down there in droves.

Unplugged ft Gyazette, Judah and Freetown Collective | Jungle Juice - Let the Juice flow... Caribbean Entertainment at it's best!
Yup, that's pretty much it. They set down roots in NYC first, then move to DC or ATL either for school or for new opportunities. Same thing happens with Africans.

Oh and the Caribbean Festival was LIVE this year in the ATL. Something like 200k people showed up in Sweet Auburn.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Also...

I wouldn't really categorize NO as your typical "down south blackness" (whatever that means). It's related to other black people in the South, but they have different origins, lingo and dialects, customs, etc. It's a whole different world.

As for DC and ATL, nothing could be further from the truth at looking at the vein of just your typical "down south blackness" (again, whatever that means).

Both cities are filled with not only southern blacks. Both DC and Atlanta have the second and third largest native African populations in the country respectively with both well over 100k (and the PARTY harder than most people I know). I can't speak much for DC, but in Atlanta you are just as likely to run in to a black person who grew up in the South as you are a Northeasterner (New Yorkers for the most part) or a Midwesterner (Detroiters mostly).

Whatever image is running through your head about what AA nightlife is in Atlanta, forget about it. It runs the gamut from dancehall, to deep house, to upscale lounge, to underground hip-hop to mainstream to whatever. What takes the cake for us is, um, an over abundance of "houses of gentlemanly entertainment".
Isn't AA alcoholics anonymous? How comes the term African-American is used to describe Black Americans, but the term European-American is not used to describe white Americans? But thats a whole different thread.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM

[quote=killakoolaide;16590708]Isn't AA alcoholics anonymous?

Shorthand.

Quote:
How comes the term African-American is used to describe Black Americans, but the term European-American is not used to describe white Americans? But thats a whole different thread.
Because that's exactly what we are. African-Americans. We don't have a home country, so that's how we differentiate ourselves from West Indians and Africans.

You wouldn't think it's weird that someone identified themselves as Irish-American would you? Same thing. But since most white Americans know where their ancestors came from, you cant use the over arching European-American term for them as it's not as succinct.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yep, because west indians you probably live in areas like college park, decatur, east point, etc. don't own any clubs in the city or surrounding area...that city proper argument is a fail. atlanta has far more west indians. period
Ohh I see. city propers don't count in this discussion, because ATL has a weak city. Now I understand.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Shorthand.
I was jus bein "smart".

Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Ohh I see. city propers don't count in this discussion, because ATL has a weak city. Now I understand.
Whatever makes you feel better....

Doesn't change the fact that Atlanta has a far better entertainment scene for black people (African-American, African or West Indian) than Philly does. That's just the way it is.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Oh come on, let's be real. When it comes to the numbers, city population doesn't even begin to tell the whole story, especially for cities with small boundaries relative to the size of their metro. And let's not act like there are some metrics where it would be more beneficial to reference the metro stats for Philly as opposed to the city stats (i.e., poverty, per capita income, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City