Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
For all the above I pick DFW. IMO, it's just too big of a metro when compared to Minneapolis-St.Paul. I guess in the South you could use Tampa-St.Petersburg to compare to Minneapolis-St.Paul. And in the North perhaps greater Detroit CSA to compare to DFW.
The comparison is between metro areas, but the central cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, Dallas, and Fort Worth. If we were comparing metros, then yeah, you are right in that the Dallas area is too big.

A Minneapolis - St. Paul vs. Tampa - St. Petersburg would be a joke as the Tampa area doesn't really compete with the MPLS. area in any category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 AM

^^ Sorry, but I meant to state the comparison is not between metro areas, but the central cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, Dallas, and Fort Worth. If we

Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
^^ Sorry, but I meant to state the comparison is not between metro areas, but the central cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, Dallas, and Fort Worth. If we
I see your point. Even still, I thing Dallas and Fort Worth are too big compared to Minneapolis and St. Paul because they carry the influence for a metro that is nearly twice the size Minneapolis and St.Paul IMHO.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see your point. Even still, I thing Dallas and Fort Worth are too big compared to Minneapolis and St. Paul because they carry the influence for a metro that is nearly twice the size Minneapolis and St.Paul IMHO.
You're definitely right about Dallas being big. Its land area is the size of Minneapolis, St. Paul, and roughly 25 of their nearest suburbs combined.

Last edited by BlackOut; 01-05-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 108,174 times
Urban: MSP>DFW MSP is much more compact and older which gives more of an urban feel DFW is MUCH more spread out and has a suburban feel
Public Transit: DFW>MSP DFW has DART rail so it takes the cake
Skylines: DFW>MSP Dallas has an awesome skyline especially at night
Sports: DFW>MSP DFW has a much better sports scene people in Texas as a whole LOVE football more than anywhere else
Downtowns: MSP>DFW although Fort Worth has the stockyards
Shopping: DFW>MSP even though Minneapolis has Mall of America Dallas has Grapevine Mills, the Galleria and overall a much bigger (more expensive) shopping scene
The Arts: MSP>DFW Northern cities as a whole have more artistic influence than Southern
Museams: MSP>DFW
Architecture: tie MSP has more older architecture while Dallas has more modern glitz
Climate: DFW>MSP is this even a question!?
Economy: DFW>MSP according to Forbes 2011 DFW is the most economically stable area in the world
Neighborhoods: DFW>MSP Dallas has many more nice neighborhoods and has a very low crime rate for a city of its size
Nightlife: DFW>MSP the Fort Worth Stockyards are awesome
Airport: DFW>MSP DFW is bigger and cheaper
overall: DFW

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mEYEke812 View Post
Urban: MSP>DFW MSP is much more compact and older which gives more of an urban feel DFW is MUCH more spread out and has a suburban feel
Public Transit: DFW>MSP DFW has DART rail so it takes the cake
Skylines: DFW>MSP Dallas has an awesome skyline especially at night
Sports: DFW>MSP DFW has a much better sports scene people in Texas as a whole LOVE football more than anywhere else
Shopping: DFW>MSP even though Minneapolis has Mall of America Dallas has Grapevine Mills, the Galleria and overall a much bigger (more expensive) shopping scene
The Arts: MSP>DFW Northern cities as a whole have more artistic influence than Southern
Museams: MSP>DFW
Architecture: tie MSP has more older architecture while Dallas has more modern glitz
Climate: DFW>MSP is this even a question!?
Economy: DFW>MSP according to Forbes 2011 DFW is the most economically stable area in the world
Neighborhoods: DFW>MSP Dallas has many more nice neighborhoods and has a very low crime rate for a city of its size
Airport: DFW>MSP DFW is bigger and cheaper
overall: DFW
I agree with a lot of what you said (maybe more than 50%, which is pretty good, actually!), but this one threw me off....

I know people prefer heat to cold and it looks as though you are from a "colder" Northern climate in Indiana, but since when does Dallas have such universal nice weather whereas it becomes a moot question to compare it to Minneapolis? Did Dallas NOT reach 100+ degrees over 100 times this summer? How many times over 90 degrees -- 200+ (just a guess)?? Is that weather really THAT preferable to (assumingly) the colder winter months in Minneapolis, where the highs struggle to reach 20 for weeks (the lows in the single digits, but daily lows occur when few people are awake so I don't pay much attention to them)? To me, at least, I see this as a very legitimate question and a very fair matchup. In fact, I prefer Minneapolis weather to MANY climates, and espect at least some people to feel that way as well....

thoughts?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said (maybe more than 50%, which is pretty good, actually!), but this one threw me off....

I know people prefer heat to cold and it looks as though you are from a "colder" Northern climate in Indiana, but since when does Dallas have such universal nice weather whereas it becomes a moot question to compare it to Minneapolis? Did Dallas NOT reach 100+ degrees over 100 times this summer? How many times over 90 degrees -- 200+ (just a guess)?? Is that weather really THAT preferable to (assumingly) the colder winter months in Minneapolis, where the highs struggle to reach 20 for weeks (the lows in the single digits, but daily lows occur when few people are awake so I don't pay much attention to them)? To me, at least, I see this as a very legitimate question and a very fair matchup. In fact, I prefer Minneapolis weather to MANY climates, and espect at least some people to feel that way as well....

thoughts?
Here are the weather statistics for Dallas:

# of days with temperatures of 90 degrees or more in 2011: 128

Out of those 128 days, the temperature reached 100 degrees or higher 71 times, an all-time record.

The average number of 100 degree days per year is 18.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mEYEke812 View Post

- The Stockyards aren't part of Downtown

- Fort Worth offsets it with more older architecture. Even Dallas has alot of Art Deco styles.

- Dallas has a very low crime rate for its size?

- I think Dallas wins in the nightlife department, although Fort Worth can hold its own in downtown... NOT so much the Stockyards.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
- The Stockyards aren't part of Downtown

- Fort Worth offsets it with more older architecture. Even Dallas has alot of Art Deco styles.

- Dallas has a very low crime rate for its size?

- I think Dallas wins in the nightlife department, although Fort Worth can hold its own in downtown... NOT so much the Stockyards.
I haven't heard great things about Dallas' nightlife downtown......is it elsewhere?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I haven't heard great things about Dallas' nightlife downtown......is it elsewhere?
Uptown, Deep Ellum, Oak Lawn, Bishop Arts, and Addison.

Downtown Dallas is mainly an office park. They do have some clubs starting to open there. I do like Club Plush because I have a likeing for Asian women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City