Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times

Advertisements

^^^^

Did you take that picture?

Otherwise, lets see how long it takes to get removed for a posting violation.

BTW.... that's a great picture of Lincoln Park you have there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Things to be thankful for in Chicago in 2010:

1. "Da Mayor" is finally being thrown out of office; sick of being hounded by an avalanche of civil and criminal investigations

2. "Da Crime Rate" is slightly better, and Chicago is no longer THE murder capital of the U.S., though it's close

3. "Da Population Loss" has improved somewhat, though Chicago has still lost more population than any other U.S. city since 2000

One thing that hasn't improved, though, is "Da Economy". Chicago lost 70,000 jobs in the last calendar year, which is, by far, the worst economy in the nation.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Petition to move this thread?

I mean....nothing against Chicago, but this definitely doesn't belong here...

Old 11-28-2010, 07:57 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Deep dish pizza looks horrible
I didn't know ebert had mouth cancer
Mayor Daley is no one to brag about

Chicago is cool, for a midwestern city.

Chicago is a lot better than Philadelphia. That's for sure.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

3. "Da Population Loss" has improved somewhat, though Chicago has still lost more population than any other U.S. city since 2000
Now I know I just said that this thread doesn't belong here (so I probably shouldn't patronize it), but....

...I think it is misleading to say that losing the greatest numerical value of residents constitutes the greatest "population loss." Percentage is much more telling.

Plus, if Chicago has lost more residents than Detroit, I'd be surprised....and I'll bet it's a push if it happens. And what about Philly? We'll see when the census results come out (and when the multitude of challenges are resolved) I guess...

Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I love Chicago- I felt like my visit was much to brief.
I really want to check it out again.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Everyone already knows how I feel about Chicago. But yeah I love my hometown a lot, and I look forward to going there every summer and getting my 2 months of city living in and gives me a chance to use the loft we have in Chicago

However, Chicago equally frustrates me as much as I love it. I have an equal amount of disdain for it also, overall I would defend it, but it SERIOUSLY needs to work on its 4 C's and those are:

- Cubs (LOL)
- Crime
- Cold
- Corruption

I know the cold will always exist but seriously get like some kind of tunnel system set up or something under the city, that would be tight but damn it Chicago politicians are incompetent. Meh, I am going to stop now before it gets out of hand.

But overall I love my hometown, but it could DEFINITELY use some improvements on some things. Especially the Cubs.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Everyone already knows how I feel about Chicago. But yeah I love my hometown a lot, and I look forward to going there every summer and getting my 2 months of city living in and gives me a chance to use the loft we have in Chicago

However, Chicago equally frustrates me as much as I love it. I have an equal amount of disdain for it also, overall I would defend it, but it SERIOUSLY needs to work on its 4 C's and those are:

- Cubs (LOL)
- Crime
- Cold
- Corruption

I know the cold will always exist but seriously get like some kind of tunnel system set up or something under the city, that would be tight but damn it Chicago politicians are incompetent. Meh, I am going to stop now before it gets out of hand.

But overall I love my hometown, but it could DEFINITELY use some improvements on some things. Especially the Cubs.
A full blown subway system will probably never happen. Tunnels downtown already exist, although they could be improved. I feel corruption will likely get scaled back once Rahm is elected...or at least I hope. Crime is decreasing!

The cubs are terrible. We won't even discuss them here.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
A full blown subway system will probably never happen. Tunnels downtown already exist, although they could be improved.
No I mean for the majority of the city, not just the Loop. Chicago needs to get innovative.

Subway system? Screw that. Chicago needs to clean up and maintain the one it already has before it sets its eyes on ever trying to add more
Quote:
I feel corruption will likely get scaled back once Rahm is elected...or at least I hope.
Yes, one can only hope when it comes to politicians.
Quote:
Crime is decreasing!
Not good enough. It needs to get a grip and improve faster than it already has. Having like 7 less murders than last year proves nothing when the neighborhoods in certain segments of the city are rapidly decaying more. Chicago needs to start taking care of its own people first and foremost, to stop crime you get involved at home, Chicago absolutely does not know how to get involved at all.

It needs to set up incentives for its people, make them not want to do what they do.
Quote:
The cubs are terrible. We won't even discuss them here.
If it makes you feel any better (since you're a Cubs fan) they have peers when it comes to failure, New Jersey Nets, Dallas Cowboys, & Golden State Warriors (LOL).

Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
^^^^^^^Standard living conditions in the Chi.

Look out Detroit, Chicagos tryna give you competition.

Photograph courtesy of chicagoclout.com
hold on playboy leave Detroit out of this

Every city has its pros and cons

overall Chicago is a great city, I usually enjoy my time there when I visit family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City