Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 15,884 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted into PhD programs at both NYU and Yale. Of course I have many, many points to consider in regards to the academic opportunities, but I would really like opinions of simply living in the two cities. I am currently living in the English countryside, so either will be a huge, but exciting, culture shock!

It appears they are both fairly even in terms of the offers, although Yale is offering almost $3000 in stipend more than NYU (I don't know how much this difference would affect standard of living).

Any kind of opinions are welcome - I could do with all the input I can get!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
having lived in both cities, your sol will be greatly increased in new haven. you can probably get a nice spacious apt by the water (long island sound). new haven has a lot to offer re: culture, but, its primarily a college town. there are a lot of international students and the area is very picturesque. a definitely sketchy in parts. the city is small enough so you probably can't avoid the sketchiness. its also seen as a satellite city to nyc. its the final stop in the metro-north regional rail that goes back and forth into grand central station in manhattan. takes about 1.5 hrs.

the nyu area is arguably the best part of manhattan if not all of nyc. very vibrant, crowded. great restaurants, lounges, shopping you name it. its one of the greatest cities in the world similar to london. but the sol will be low. you'll definitely need roomates. really depends on how comfortably you want to live.

both schools are excellent and yale is big time. i knew a lot of phd students who went to yale and lived in new haven. and hit the train down to nyc on the weekends.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Same thing. Just flip a coin.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
I would choose Yale.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,821 times
choose Yale.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:18 PM

196 posts, read 614,058 times
I mean, the answer to your topic is clearly New York (although I'm not sure New Haven is as bad as some make it out to be), but if you go to Yale it might be cheaper (NYU is notoriously expensive and ungenerous, and NYC space is $$$$$) and you might have more money to enjoy popping down to the city when you have free time.

Of course, you should choose based on what doctoral program appeals to you more, too.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:32 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
NYC would be more exciting, but you won't be able to enjoy it much as a serious PhD student (and one without much money). If things were the other way around with NYU giving 3K more than Yale to offset the cost of living differences a bit, then I'd say NYU. But it's not.

I'd really just go with the program that seems "better" or more interesting.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,884 times
Thank you every body! I'm flying out to visit both next week, so I hope that more information about the schools themselves will help me make my decision, but it's great to hear about the reality of living in these places rather than just reading what's in school prospectuses! Of course it should be based on which is the best program, but this will also be my life for the next several years.

I've visited NYC for leisure and absolutely get the excitement and vibrancy that you guys are talking about. Now I just have to see what kind of a feel I get in New Haven...

Or flip a coin

Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
I've visited NYC for leisure and absolutely get the excitement and vibrancy that you guys are talking about. Now I just have to see what kind of a feel I get in New Haven..
i don't think you're doing to get that

Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,704 times
New Haven is only 90 mins to Manhattan on the Metro North rail...you'll be going every weekend.
Yale is a better school, anyway.
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City