Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better place for a single Asian guy?
Fairfield County CT (Stamford) 8 88.89%
Chesterfield County VA (Richmond) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM

28 posts, read 46,628 times

Advertisements

Had job offers in both CT and Richmond. What's the better place for a single Asian 27 year old??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
I don't know much about Richmond, but I wouldn't want to be a single 20-something in Fairfield county. I guess it depends on your personality, but I know some people who actually live in Manhattan and commute out to Stamford. The office actually has a bus pick them up because a lot of young people want to be in the city. And it doesn't take long since it's the reverse commute.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM

28 posts, read 46,628 times
Cool. Id be living in suburbs either way because I'm not a city fan. Stamford is close enough I think so I can get into Manhattan after work to mingle if I have to. Chesterfield is the suburbs so really my question is which suburban place is better? Stamford pays a whole lot better but rents there are hiiiiiigh (more than where I'm from in north central CA). Weather doesn't matter. More looking for a decent restaurant/bar scene during the week, access to lots of different things like public transportation and an educated populace is always a big plus. Thanks Rabbit

Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Fair enough, just figured I'd mention that. You'll definitely be able to get into NYC when you want but also not have to deal with the city all the time. Although Fairfield County as a whole is very expensive, parts of Stamford are definitely cheaper than Greenwich, Darien, etc. How would you be getting to work? The metro north would give you the option of living in either direction from Stamford assuming that your work is near downtown. If you have a car, it doesn't matter.

If you want decent restaurant/bar scene I would live in Stamford as opposed to some of the other Fairfield co. towns. Stamford is a city, but not a huge one. If you want true suburbia you could live in another town but it will be more expensive probably, and certainly have less bars, etc. Definitely an educated populace all over Fairfield co. Also a $$$$$ populace. Which has its pluses and minuses for a 27-year-old.

I wish I knew more about Chesterfield so I could give you a fair comparison. Hopefully someone else can.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
NYC is 40 mins away

end of thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
It's been a long time since I've been to Chesterfield County, VA, but I remember it being somewhat suburban, and much of it seeming quite rural. It's the buffer between Richmond and the tobacco-growing "southside" Virginia region. It's probably not a bad place if you like to have your own space, but for the things you said you're looking for (transit, places to go out, educated populace, mingling), I don't think it's going to beat Fairfield County, CT. Henrico County is probably the best suburban pick in the Richmond area, but I'd still have to go with Fairfield here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City