Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
San Jose 36 15.86%
Portland 19 8.37%
Denver 59 25.99%
Pittsburgh 20 8.81%
Cleveland 14 6.17%
Orlando 10 4.41%
Cincinnati 10 4.41%
Baltimore 12 5.29%
Tampa 3 1.32%
Las Vegas 32 14.10%
Sacramento 9 3.96%
Kansas City 3 1.32%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice a glut of cities with a metro (not city) population of about 2 million. Which of these has had the most combined cultural, economic and social influence on the country and their respective region? I know some are more influential in some areas, but if you could average out the 'overall' influence which would you pick?
I think when it comes to economic influence, none of these cities hold a candle to Sacramento. Policy set in Sacramento affects a state with the largest population and GDP in the country. That alone, in my opinion, makes it the most influential of the bunch. That being said... the cultural and social influence of Sacramento is next to nil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 PM

661 posts, read 691,293 times
As well as the historical aspect of Sacramento as a catalyst for the Gold Rush, birth of California in its modern form.

Also, the debate is most influential, which doesn't necessarily equal most well known globally. And I would say Denver is in a tier above the rest of the cities, although the rest are very competitive.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
This is a no brainer. San Jose. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. With the importance of Silicon Valley on the entire US economy, it's San Jose by a long shot.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:44 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Culturally, and overall the cream of the crop, I'd say Denver. Denver is the capital, great dining and cultural scene, great sports town, landscape is beautiful, several fortune 500 co, etc.

From an governmental and political standpoint, the winner goes to Sacramento. Sacramento is the Washington DC of this group.

Economically speaking, as the hub of tech and commerce, San Jose is up there too.

For tourism, I'd go with Las Vegas and Orlando. But these cities tend to be one-dimensional. LV with gambling and Orlando with Disney, a fun family atmosphere town. I don't know if I'd want to live either of those cities.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is a no brainer. San Jose. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. With the importance of Silicon Valley on the entire US economy, it's San Jose by a long shot.

To think otherwise would be to think beyond business. Unless you work in IT, San Jose/Silicon Valley is not really on most people's radar beyond Apple Computers. I could think of a visual image in my minds eye with any one of these cities, yet can't really picture San Jose in my mind.

I go with Denver has it is the major hub city for the entire mountain time zone, a huge sports town, and it's has a lot of history starting as a mining capital. Denver has one of the country's major hub airports, and could even rival Portland on environmental infuence. Oh yeah and it has some great breweries, big beer town. In terms of big league cities, Denver defines that more than any others on the list.

As mentioned before though ask anyone overseas, like it or not Las Vegas will likely come to mind first.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Denver has some pretty good schools in/around the area. If we're talking education, I'd give Denver an edge over the others on this list.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:13 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
My mother went to University of Denver (because her father wouldn't let her go to Middlebury and everyone from Chicago ends up in Denver), and I know it's a good school and all (especially law), but it can't hold a candle to:

Johns Hopkins
Carnegie Mellon
Case Western Reserve
University of Pittsburgh (well maybe pretty equal here)
Washington University

Pittsburgh on this list takes the cake for higher education and there is no debate about it. Baltimore is a close second and then St. Louis if it were on the list. I would consider Boulder a school in Denver metro, but to be blunt, I would rather have a degree from Denver unless I wanted to really really "enjoy" my college years (then I would go to Boulder). Boulder is a beautiful school, though.

I also think that overall, the companies that have come out of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and St. Louis if it were on the list have added so much more to America and influenced society so much more than companies to come out of any of the other cities. San Jose has some recent influence in the past 2 decades and is the hub of VC, but its tech influence is waning as other cities capitalize on the industry. I'd say from about 1995 to 2003, San Jose was the center of the universe, but that no longer applies.

Also, for policy, Sacramento may make some policies now that have far reaching impacts, but legislation influenced by events in Baltimore, Cleveland (NEPA after Cuyahoga River caught fire for instance), and Pittsburgh have had much longer, much further reaching effects than anything to come out of Sacramento.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 AM

No one school in the Denver area is the top school amongst schools in the cities on this list. The reason why I brought it up is that the Denver area has several pretty good schools. University of Denver, University of Colorado, and Regis come to mind. Just outside of the Denver area is Colorado State University, consistently a top agricultural school, and the Air Force Academy. So when I bring education into the discussion, I am speaking of volume, an unusually high volume of above average to high quality institutions.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:03 AM

Colorado School of Mines is another one. Sorry to leave them out.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:41 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
My mother went to University of Denver (because her father wouldn't let her go to Middlebury and everyone from Chicago ends up in Denver), and I know it's a good school and all (especially law), but it can't hold a candle to:

Johns Hopkins
Carnegie Mellon
Case Western Reserve
University of Pittsburgh (well maybe pretty equal here)
Washington University

Pittsburgh on this list takes the cake for higher education and there is no debate about it. Baltimore is a close second and then St. Louis if it were on the list. I would consider Boulder a school in Denver metro, but to be blunt, I would rather have a degree from Denver unless I wanted to really really "enjoy" my college years (then I would go to Boulder). Boulder is a beautiful school, though.

I also think that overall, the companies that have come out of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and St. Louis if it were on the list have added so much more to America and influenced society so much more than companies to come out of any of the other cities. San Jose has some recent influence in the past 2 decades and is the hub of VC, but its tech influence is waning as other cities capitalize on the industry. I'd say from about 1995 to 2003, San Jose was the center of the universe, but that no longer applies.

Also, for policy, Sacramento may make some policies now that have far reaching impacts, but legislation influenced by events in Baltimore, Cleveland (NEPA after Cuyahoga River caught fire for instance), and Pittsburgh have had much longer, much further reaching effects than anything to come out of Sacramento.
Baltimore has the largest economy in this population range with St. Louis a close second and then Pittsburgh. I would rank the educational institutions the same. Seeing that educational output usually coincides with economic output.

No offense to Pittsburgh, but St. Louis is the best recovered rust belt city outside Chicago. Pittsburgh may be doing a great job in reinventing itself, but St. Louis is actually doing better economically. It's really not fair to even compare St. Louis to Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Buffalo. The region never stopped growing and now our central city is growing for the first time in 50 years. St. Louis has always had one of the more diversified economies in the Midwest with stronger institutions than comparable rust belt towns. I think that's reflected in St. Louis' relative economic strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City