Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:40 AM

641 posts, read 801,350 times

Advertisements

In TX:

Lubbock, TX 243k ppl | College Station (TAMU) 100k ppl | Waco (Baylor) 130k ppl -> El Paso 700k ppl

And I'm not saying they're more well known, just probably more of a household name to anyone outside of El Paso area (specifically the DFW area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:49 AM

676 posts, read 960,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Though this may sound odd...I think you could make an argument for Madison>Milwaukee.

I feel like Madison gets a huge amount of publicity...but at the same time, maybe I'm just listening to ESPN Radio too much.
More people probably do know Milwaukee overall, but among my demographic (basically, Millennial Yuppies), I do think Madison gets more attention.

I can only speak anecdotally, but I've had several people ask me or assume that Madison is the biggest city in Wisconsin. For international people, if they like basketball they'll know Milwaukee for the Bucks, but otherwise, they often know Madison for the university.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Without the Jaguars I feel like Jacksonvillr wouldn't be all that well-known though.

JAX has been large enough for a long enough time, especially with it's positioning on I-95. The average US Citizen is going to have heard of Jacksonville, if they are not big into SEC football Gainesville wouldn't be on their radar. I'm not sure Gainesville even has that much notoriety, when compared to other major state schools around the country.

We take for granted what we know as city nerds. We have a much higher level of awareness for places that most people have barely heard of. In truth there are only a handful college towns that are well known and iconic. For instance Minneapolis isn't regarded for being the home of the University of Minnesota, it's famous for being Minneapolis.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:29 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
JAX has been large enough for a long enough time, especially with it's positioning on I-95. The average US Citizen is going to have heard of Jacksonville, if they are not big into SEC football Gainesville wouldn't be on their radar. I'm not sure Gainesville even has that much notoriety, when compared to other major state schools around the country.

We take for granted what we know as city nerds. We have a much higher level of awareness for places that most people have barely heard of. In truth there are only a handful college towns that are well known and iconic. For instance Minneapolis isn't regarded for being the home of the University of Minnesota, it's famous for being Minneapolis.
Yeah, there's no doubt Jax has far greater name recognition than Gville. But I will admit that circa 2007/08 Gainesville was doing pretty well for itself, during its reign as "Titletown USA." I remember seeing the actual name of Gainesville all over the place.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
In TX:

Lubbock, TX 243k ppl | College Station (TAMU) 100k ppl | Waco (Baylor) 130k ppl -> El Paso 700k ppl

And I'm not saying they're more well known, just probably more of a household name to anyone outside of El Paso area (specifically the DFW area).
I'm gonna disagree with that one.

For Texas, the Big 6 (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Ft. Worth, and El Paso) are far more of a household name than any of our college towns.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There are 14 cities in NC that are larger than Chapel Hill in North Carolina. Of those 14, I'd say that the following may be less well known to many.
  1. Fayetteville
  2. Cary
  3. High Point
  4. Greenville
  5. Concord
  6. Gastonia
  7. Jacksonville
That said, here on C-D, Cary seems to get discussed more than the others on the list as one of the largest "towns" in the country.
I'd say this is spot on.

Cary is only widely known by giddy prospective/future NE transplants and the friends/family they gab to about how new and fancy and perfect Cary is...with a little help from various "lifestyle" magazines. But yes; that's a large demographic here on C-D...at least in the NC forum. Still on a national level; I'd say Chapel Hill is far more well known than Cary.

If we're going for imaginary cities/towns....I'd be willing to bet that most Americans "know" about Mayberry and many probably assume it's a real town.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM

624 posts, read 905,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'd say this is spot on.

Cary is only widely known by giddy prospective/future NE transplants and the friends/family they gab to about how new and fancy and perfect Cary is...with a little help from various "lifestyle" magazines. But yes; that's a large demographic here on C-D...at least in the NC forum. Still on a national level; I'd say Chapel Hill is far more well known than Cary.

If we're going for imaginary cities/towns....I'd be willing to bet that most Americans "know" about Mayberry and many probably assume it's a real town.

Don't forget Mount Pilot.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Princeton over Patterson
New Haven over Bridgeport
Middlebury over Rutland
Kent over Canton
Santa Cruz over Stockton (and many, many, many others)
Cambridge over Worcester
Tempe over Chandler
Laramie over Casper
Bozeman over Great Falls
Kalamazoo over Livonia

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-03-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 08:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Don't forget Mount Pilot.
At least there is a Pilot Mountain, NC near Mount Airy - the "real" Mayberry.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Princeton over Patterson
New Haven over Bridgeport
Middlebury over Rutland
Kent over Canton
Santa Cruz over Stockton (and many, many, many others)
Cambridge over Worcester
Tempe over Chandler
Laramie over Casper
Bozeman over Great Falls
Kalamazoo over Livonia
People may know about Canton due to the Football Hall of Fame.

Aren't New Haven and Bridgeport pretty close in terms of city population?

I guess Pullman over Yakima and some of the bigger Seattle suburban cities may be another example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City