Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do cultural-regional divisions and animosities in America damage society?
Yeah 6 35.29%
No 9 52.94%
Maybe/not yet 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times

Advertisements

The U.S. is so large and diverse that our country has nurtured several different cultures and geographic identities. Think urban vs rural, east coast vs west coast, midwest/south vs west + east coast, old urban vs new urban, etc.

My question is do you think these geographical divisions, rivalries, and feelings of enmity have fostered legitimate social tension? Do they constitute real problems that need to be solved and have the potential to be socially damaging if unresolved? (to a lesser degree, but in the same vein as homophobia, xenophobia, and classism, etc.)

Or do you think this phenomenon is simply benign, all-in-good-fun, silly fodder for internet message boards like this one with no real damaging consequences in the real world?

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 12-19-2010 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
I voted for the last option: "Not Yet"

If you've ever experienced a country that has deep regional or ethnic strife, the United States is nowhere CLOSE to that point yet. There aren't political parties popular (by popular, I mean above 10% of the voter age population) in just one, two, or three states in this country that advocate for political separation from the rest of the United States. Aside from the obvious location differences and geographical differences between the regions, the culture of the United States is probably more united than ever before thanks to mass media.

There were even larger differences between the North and the South before the Civil War than there is nowadays, given the mobility of Americans to move back and forth between states without any legal consequences of them doing so.

Now, this could all change given the trajectory of the recession. People start pointing fingers at each other, blaming everyone else for their own problems. However, the US has been through worse (IE: Great Depression) and got through it fine. I think, for the most part, its gentle ribbing on the internet.

Sure, on a competitive city website such as this forum, you are going to get a number of people who genuinely hate other regions of the United States. For the most part though, I don't think they would go out and murder such people just because of where they are from. I think what we need to remember is that this site, or any ONE given internet site isn't an indicator of the social thermometer of the United States. Every single site caters to a niche population (IE: urban buffs on this one) but not meant to be indicative of how everyone feels as a whole.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
There are factions (fortunately, in most cases, small ones) that would be a destructive force if they were to grow into a popular movement. These factions span the political spectrum from radical right to radical left, from racist to anarchist. They come in all shapes and sizes, and colors.

But fortunately, most people in this country are moderate, or moderately right/left, and value the vast diversity that has made this country so great. I can't help but think of the Navajo code-talkers who in WWII confounded the Japanese with their language, preventing them from determining the Americans' next move. They proved vital to the success of the island hopping campaign. In this case, the U.S. proved that its diversity was one of its strengths. I think that most Americans still believe this. But when we start focusing on being associated with a certain region, race, religion, or political ideology and not AMERICANS first, we'll have issues.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
Only on City-Data

Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Only on City-Data
pretty much.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I voted for the last option: "Not Yet"

If you've ever experienced a country that has deep regional or ethnic strife, the United States is nowhere CLOSE to that point yet. There aren't political parties popular (by popular, I mean above 10% of the voter age population) in just one, two, or three states in this country that advocate for political separation from the rest of the United States. Aside from the obvious location differences and geographical differences between the regions, the culture of the United States is probably more united than ever before thanks to mass media.

There were even larger differences between the North and the South before the Civil War than there is nowadays, given the mobility of Americans to move back and forth between states without any legal consequences of them doing so.

Now, this could all change given the trajectory of the recession. People start pointing fingers at each other, blaming everyone else for their own problems. However, the US has been through worse (IE: Great Depression) and got through it fine. I think, for the most part, its gentle ribbing on the internet.

Sure, on a competitive city website such as this forum, you are going to get a number of people who genuinely hate other regions of the United States. For the most part though, I don't think they would go out and murder such people just because of where they are from. I think what we need to remember is that this site, or any ONE given internet site isn't an indicator of the social thermometer of the United States. Every single site caters to a niche population (IE: urban buffs on this one) but not meant to be indicative of how everyone feels as a whole.

Just my two cents.
Interesting. I agree that there aren't exactly overt political movements associated with regions that have a lot of power, but I think "regionalism" as I call it could be more damaging on a subdued level. For example, someone in the north or west not wanting to hire a southerner because of their accent and perceived backwardness. Or someone from the west moving east and not being able to fit in in a new city because of lifestyle differences and eastern hostility towards western transplants.

Just something to think about.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Interesting. I agree that there aren't exactly overt political movements associated with regions that have a lot of power, but I think "regionalism" as I call it could be more damaging on a subdued level. For example, someone in the north or west not wanting to hire a southerner because of their accent and perceived backwardness. Or someone from the west moving east and not being able to fit in in a new city because of lifestyle differences and eastern hostility towards western transplants.

Just something to think about.
I don't think this kind of thing is all that common. In spite of the local and regional differences, the U.S. is one of the most culturally uniform large countries I've experienced. The major cultural changes that happen in one part of the country eventually make their way to all parts.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't think this kind of thing is all that common. In spite of the local and regional differences, the U.S. is one of the most culturally uniform large countries I've experienced. The major cultural changes that happen in one part of the country eventually make their way to all parts.
Totally agree that we're largely homogeneous. But the current culture war is having a profound effect on our politics, based on perceived differences where [the Other] is responsible for [All That]. It's a huge problem. I voted yes, absolutely. Instant global communication should be altering perceptions; instead it's just tended to make inner voices louder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City