Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:53 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times

Advertisements

overall
1.Philly
2.San Francisco
3.Boston
4.DC
5.LA

Downtowns
1.Sf/Philly (cant go wrong with saying either is number 1 imo)
3.Boston
4.DC
5.LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I would put DT DC's urbanity up against Philly and Boston in a heartbeat. First of all DT DC is like three times the size of CC Philly and DC is built out. There are no surface parking lots. Philly and Boston's DT are in tiny areas, so of course they are more vibrant. Plus DC's downtown is home to the Federal government which takes up a lot of space and does not offer any retail in their buildings because of security reasons. DC's DT daytime population crushes Philly and Boston. DC's DT subway usage crush Philly and Boston. DC's commercial office space, rents, and vacancy rates crush Philly and Boston. Both cities are denser than DC and their nightlife is BS. Clubs and bars in Philly shut down at 1:45 a.m.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I would put DT DC's urbanity up against Philly and Boston in a heartbeat. First of all DT DC is like three times the size of CC Philly and DC is built out. There are no surface parking lots. Philly and Boston's DT are in tiny areas, so of course they are more vibrant. Plus DC's downtown is home to the Federal government which takes up a lot of space and does not offer any retail in their buildings because of security reasons. DC's DT daytime population crushes Philly and Boston. DC's DT subway usage crush Philly and Boston. DC's commercial office space, rents, and vacancy rates crush Philly and Boston. Both cities are denser than DC and their nightlife is BS. Clubs and bars in Philly shut down at 1:45 a.m.

You keep harping on this, first of all, most places have last call at two and stay open till at least 2:30 and many more are after hours till 4AM - last time I checked DC closes at 2 as well with the excpetion of 3 on Friday and Saturday. Plus there are many many after hours clubs so if you wanna drink till 4 (any night of the week) you can in Philly, it's really not that hard to find a place. Also you can buy liquer on Sundays, they have changed the law a few years back FWIW. I would also argue that Philly's nightlife and Restaurant scene is better than DC's overall - yes i know DC has the go-Go scene, ok so 1 facet, all cities excel in areas, i am talking overall

On your DT covering a larger area, well you act as though in Boston or Philly that life just ends at the DT border (they are purly borders drawn on a map not in reality), there are neighborhoods like No Libs, Fishtown, Art Museum, Queen Village, Bella Vista, Passyunk Sq, University City etc. just attached to the DT that are equally as vibrant as the neighborhoods in and around DC.

And DC built out but Boston and Philly are not? Really? How is DC any more built out than Philly or Boston? I would argue at this point moreso with all facets of development, not just dominated by office space. I am not saying that DC is not urban and lived there and enjoyed DC but it truly is a level below Boston/SF/Philly (I have also lived in Philly/SF/NYC) on this metric - Its not personal just is what it is, Just as NYC is more urban than Boston/SF/Philly they are more urban than DC - though the spread from NYC to the others is probably a little more pronounced.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Kid,

Have you ever been to DT DC? It's a serious question! From Mass Ave to the north running south to the National Mall is almost two miles. From 23rd Street NW east to Union Station on North Capitol Street is 2 1/2 miles and the boundary of DT DC. You can put CC and DT Boston in this area and there is still room left over. This area is comprised of 12-13 story buildings block after block after block. It doesn't stop. There is only one surface parking lot in this 2 mile by 2 1/2 mile area. I'm not even counting the area south of the National Mall. You do realize that DC will have more office space than Chicago by 2013. All I'm saying, is I keep hearing what you think urban is. Urban is continuous development in my eyes. Philly doesn't have that nor does Boston over a large area DT like DC does.

Philly's nightlife and restaurant scene is far behind DC. Are you serious? There is no comparison. Philly may have better bars but it doesn't even come close to DC's club venues. I'm glad that you can finally drink in Philly on Sunday. Welcome to the 20th Century with that one. I can post videos of DC clubs in Adams Morgan, U Street and DT DC that are open past 3:00 am on weekends. Non go-go clubs since you were being sarcastic. Adams Morgan has been featured on "Wild On" E with Brooke Burke, which only highlights the cities with the hottest clubs. TV One also did a series called "Party Boys" featuring DC area club promoters Marc and Taz. DC was also featured on "Top Chef" which only goes to true restaurant cities. Philly does have some good restaurants but not on the level and magnitiude of DC. We have more restuarants in Chinatown and Penn Quarter than all of Center City. What a lot of you hillbillies fail to realize that DC is a city full of powerful people with disposable incomes. People with money and power like to party and eat. It's that simple. Supply and demand.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Kid,

Have you ever been to DT DC? It's a serious question! From Mass Ave to the north running south to the National Mall is almost two miles. From 23rd Street NW east to Union Station on North Capitol Street is 2 1/2 miles and the boundary of DT DC. You can put CC and DT Boston in this area and there is still room left over. This area is comprised of 12-13 story buildings block after block after block. It doesn't stop. There is only one surface parking lot in this 2 mile by 2 1/2 mile area. I'm not even counting the area south of the National Mall. You do realize that DC will have more office space than Chicago by 2013. All I'm saying, is I keep hearing what you think urban is. Urban is continuous development in my eyes. Philly doesn't have that nor does Boston over a large area DT like DC does.

Philly's nightlife and restaurant scene is far behind DC. Are you serious? There is no comparison. Philly may have better bars but it doesn't even come close to DC's club venues. I'm glad that you can finally drink in Philly on Sunday. Welcome to the 20th Century with that one. I can post videos of DC clubs in Adams Morgan, U Street and DT DC that are open past 3:00 am on weekends. Non go-go clubs since you were being sarcastic. Adams Morgan has been featured on "Wild On" E with Brooke Burke, which only highlights the cities with the hottest clubs. TV One also did a series called "Party Boys" featuring DC area club promoters Marc and Taz. DC was also featured on "Top Chef" which only goes to true restaurant cities. Philly does have some good restaurants but not on the level and magnitiude of DC. We have more restuarants in Chinatown and Penn Quarter than all of Center City. What a lot of you hillbillies fail to realize that DC is a city full of powerful people with disposable incomes. People with money and power like to party and eat. It's that simple. Supply and demand.
In one ear out the other, what another delusional statement by a delusional dc homer

Last edited by nephi215; 12-28-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM

457 posts, read 1,109,138 times
Quote:
\We have more restuarants in Chinatown and Penn Quarter than all of Center City.
This seems highly unlikely. Do you have a source for this?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
He doesn't lol. He's just spitting out 100% BS

Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Kid,

Yes - i lived in Dupont Circle and in Old Town Aklexandria (Yes I know that is not the district) I am in DC probably at least 4-5 weekends a year. i know DC very very very very very welll actually and also Philly and SF, and Boston pretty welll and still believe all three to be considerably more urban than DC, I like DC but urbanity is not it's strongest lure. And Adams Morgan, seriously, that is one block like a poor mans South Street

Plus you speak of only type of club, of which DC excels, there is more to life than just one genre - i also believe Philly's restaurant scene to be far superior to DC's (There is two iron chefs from Philly and 3 with restaurants) not to mention some of the best restaurants in the country. DC to me is actually a bit lacking for such a international spotlight on the restaurant scene

Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post

I would agree, there are 256 outdoor/sidewalk cafes alone in CC not to mention regular restaurants - CC has one of the highest concentrations of dinning anywhere in the country, comparable to many areas of NYC of like size

Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM

For Nephi,

My whole statement is true! Chinatown and Penn Quarter may not have more but DT DC definitely has more. Why hasn't Philly been featured on Top Chef where they showcase the countries top restaurants/chefs???????

Washington DC Restaurants | Urbanspoon

DT DC has 437 restaurants by itself
Dupont Circle 247
Penn Quarter 61
Chinatown 82
U Street 226
Foggy Bottom 91
West End 95
Adams Morgan 131 (Your poor mans south street lol) Dude there are 2-10 million dollar rowhomes in Adams Morgan. Do some research!
Capitol Hill (Is that poor to?) 323

Philly
Philadelphia Restaurants | Urbanspoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City