Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 10th most influential US City
Atlanta 40 53.33%
Denver 10 13.33%
Detroit 6 8.00%
Honolulu 3 4.00%
Miami 4 5.33%
Seattle 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 PM

422 posts, read 816,983 times

Advertisements

Research from previous threads, the following are a 'lock' for the Top 9 US Cities: NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, SF, BOS, Philadelphia, Houston and Dallas.

Based on the following criteria, what would be the 10th city?

- Economy
- Historical relevance
- Future earnings (potential)
- Population growth
- Influx of international migrants
- Frequent international tourists
- Connection to international countries
- Hub for multiple industries
- Regional king
- Mix use public transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,881 times
Between Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, and Seattle its tough because they are all so close but I think Detroit or Atlanta are the answer for now. Almost 6 million people with the CSA and together with Windsor. I give Detroit the edge over Atlanta. Their GDPs are in the same tier where Atl, Detroit, and Miami underperform and Seattle over performs

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,570,182 times

Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,020,734 times
Influence on the world and even the country will have to go with Miami. Miami has more ifluence than even some of the cities listed above it like Philly or Dallas. Miami is the de-facto capital of Latin America, a coner stone hub of the world. Entertainment, Transportation, Banking, Entertainment and tourism and international business.

Two largest cruise ship ports in the world, two large cargo ports. 2nd biggest inernational airport gateway for passengers in the US, biggest for International air cargo in the US.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,714,921 times
Miami is not more important than Dallas or Philadelphia

25 Cities Ranked In Order Of Importance

Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Miami is not more important than Dallas or Philadelphia

25 Cities Ranked In Order Of Importance
In U.S. business I agree 100%. In terms of overall importance we will agree to disagree. I can give you Philly with its huge histroical importance but as I said in my post considering the world and looking at these cities on a global scale I will say Miami has more influence than Dallas or Philly 100% more influence in global culture, and more influence in international business and commerce.
Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

On this ranking scale they are in the same position: Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 PM

90 posts, read 95,232 times
Way more interesting discussion than what I proposed.

Going by population solely, it's Detroit.
Going by growth economically, I'd say Atlanta

It's hard to juggle between those two.

IMO, Seattle is probably 11th or 12th, give or take.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,065,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Research from previous threads, the following are a 'lock' for the Top 9 US Cities: NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, SF, BOS, Philadelphia, Houston and Dallas.

Based on the following criteria, what would be the 10th city?

- Economy
- Historical relevance
- Future earnings (potential)
- Population growth
- Influx of international migrants
- Frequent international tourists
- Connection to international countries
- Hub for multiple industries
- Regional king
- Mix use public transportation
What does public transportation have to do with influence? What major city doesn't have multiple industries? How does one even begin to predict future earnings/potential?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

958 posts, read 1,199,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
In U.S. business I agree 100%. In terms of overall importance we will agree to disagree. I can give you Philly with its huge histroical importance but as I said in my post considering the world and looking at these cities on a global scale I will say Miami has more influence than Dallas or Philly 100% more influence in global culture, and more influence in international business and commerce.
Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

On this ranking scale they are in the same position: Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well you're wrong. I'm sorry but if you seriously think that Miami is more influential than Philadelphia then you don't know what influential means. Miami without a doubt is a more global city and I don't think anybody could argue with that. However, what exactly has Miami produced that hasn't been an exact import from whatever country the people producing it came from? Philadelphia and its metro have a real culture, one that is their own, and have been more culturally significant than almost any city in the US, with New York being the only one who can claim as much of an influence throughout history.

By the way, I don't even remotely think Houston or Dallas are a lock for the Top 10 over Detroit or Atlanta, let alone over Miami.

Top 10: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco/LA, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami, Detroit/Atlanta (might even put those ahead of Miami).

Houston and Dallas may be big and may have things going for them but what exactly have they produced? How are they International? Seattle may be an "it" city but it's got nothing on Detroit or Atlanta. Actually, come to think of it.. why isn't New Orleans in the discussion, and why on Earth is Denver in the discussion?

Now if we wanted to break it down into categories then it'd be a bit different. Global Top 10: NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago.. from there it gets tricky.

Cultural Top 10: NYC/Philadelphia, Detroit/Chicago, New Orleans, and from there it gets tricky. San Francisco is possibly next after New Orleans.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Well you're wrong. I'm sorry but if you seriously think that Miami is more influential than Philadelphia then you don't know what influential means. Miami without a doubt is a more global city and I don't think anybody could argue with that. However, what exactly has Miami produced that hasn't been an exact import from whatever country the people producing it came from? Philadelphia and its metro have a real culture, one that is their own, and have been more culturally significant than almost any city in the US, with New York being the only one who can claim as much of an influence throughout history.

By the way, I don't even remotely think Houston or Dallas are a lock for the Top 10 over Detroit or Atlanta, let alone over Miami.

Top 10: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco/LA, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami, Detroit/Atlanta (might even put those ahead of Miami).

Houston and Dallas may be big and may have things going for them but what exactly have they produced? How are they International? Seattle may be an "it" city but it's got nothing on Detroit or Atlanta. Actually, come to think of it.. why isn't New Orleans in the discussion, and why on Earth is Denver in the discussion?

Now if we wanted to break it down into categories then it'd be a bit different. Global Top 10: NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago.. from there it gets tricky.

Cultural Top 10: NYC/Philadelphia, Detroit/Chicago, New Orleans, and from there it gets tricky. San Francisco is possibly next after New Orleans.
Modern times and not 1776 I see Miami being more influential but we are probably looking at it in different ways. Miami influences the whole region of Latin America. As I said in my post if we want to look at histroical importantnce no question Philly is ahead of Miami. I said that.

I definetly agree with your Denver comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City