Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most walkable sunbelt cities
Atlanta 36 25.90%
Austin 25 17.99%
Albuquerque 5 3.60%
Orlando 4 2.88%
Charleston 38 27.34%
Miami 30 21.58%
Dallas 15 10.79%
Houston 18 12.95%
Las Vegas 10 7.19%
Memphis 11 7.91%
LA 49 35.25%
Miami 26 18.71%
New Orleans 65 46.76%
Columbia 4 2.88%
Phoenix 6 4.32%
San Diego 29 20.86%
Birmingham 6 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Isn't SF in the sunbelt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
I sure as hell wish that some Memphians would post! They would know better than I. I don't know a whole helluva lot about Memphis, however. I use to live in Hickory Hill and midtown: Cooper Young. I use to walk from work to home on some nights. My wife would drop me off in the morning. I worked at the V.A. Medical Ctr., btw. There was a Piggly Wiggly, Schnucks, and a Kroger right around the corner from us. I use to walk to the Schnucks at night. Drove my wife crazy! SEVERAL restaurants. My wife and I use the frequent the dine in movie theater that was off of Madison Ave and Cooper. The zoo was around the corner from us. We would walk from our apt. on Belvedere, walk east on Poplar Ave, right on Cooper, right on Madison, right on Belvedere to home, for exercise! Sidewalks all the way, Poplar is gorgeous, and we discovered several places in our neighborhood. Although not my type of music. More often than not, there was a live band that played on the corner of Madison, I can't recall the North/ South street. There were several bars, liquor stores, etc. If I wanted a tattoo, I could walk around the corner. There were salons and nail places right around the corner from us. Yes, this is one neighborhood. This is why I would appreciate info. from other Memphians.

No, Hickory Hill is not tightly packed as Cooper Young. However, it is walkable.

Last edited by ThreeSides; 10-12-2012 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: I couldn't post earlier.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
New Orleans is an older established city than Los Angeles. People were walking the French Quarter while LA was just a vast open field in the wilderness not even on the map yet.

New Orleans pedestrian core area is much older than any pedestrian area of Los Angeles

I had no idea the thread topic is which city is older.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I had no idea the thread topic is which city is older.
Even though LA has more miles of newer sidewalks due to sprawl. Older is better. The French Quarter is better quality, imo. It ages like fine wine over time.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:40 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Even though LA has more miles of newer sidewalks due to sprawl. Older is better. The French Quarter is better quality, imo. It ages like fine wine over time.
L.A. has more everything. More amenities, more walkable neighborhoods in total, even more transit options. If NO were larger, I could see the case, but it just isn't. Think about it, Central Los Angeles and the Westside, from DTLA to Santa Monica Beach, are home to more people than the entire New Orleans CSA! The amount of residents that live in walkscores above 70, just in these two regions, tops one million. Even transit favors L.A. here:

Which city's rail system has the best Walk Score? - Greater Greater Washington

I know that L.A. topping the list is misleading, but at least it HAS heavy rail, and it runs through massive, dense neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM

886 posts, read 1,562,952 times
Quote:
L.A. has more everything. More amenities, more walkable neighborhoods in total, even more transit options. If NO were larger, I could see the case, but it just isn't. Think about it, Central Los Angeles and the Westside, from DTLA to Santa Monica Beach, are home to more people than the entire New Orleans CSA! The amount of residents that live in walkscores above 70, just in these two regions, tops one million. Even transit favors L.A. here:

Don't bother man. This forum is MADLY in love with New Orleans. Since you think Chicago is overrated but you haven't seen anything yet. There was a thread once comparing New Orleans (the "NYC of the south") to NYC and get this, PEOPLE ACTUALLY THOUGHT THE TWO ARE PEERS. Everyone in that thread besides eek, Dannyy, StudedLeather, and KONY were under the assumption New Orleans competes with NYC to this day for "historical" reasons.

There was a thread once New Orleans vs LA on food. LA got clobbered so bad on the poll to a one trick pony like New Orleans.

Welcome to CD man.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Being in the south and southwest is not what makes a Sunbelt city. It's the cities in the south and southwest historic or not that boom in sunbelt style growth After the 70s. New Orleans and Charleston are not Sunbelt cities.

I guess they win because they're not even sunbelt style cities.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Quote:

I know that L.A. topping the list is misleading, but at least it HAS heavy rail, and it runs through massive, dense neighborhoods.
It is quite obvious that Los Angeles would beat New Orleans in most aspects since it is like 10+ times bigger. But the case could possibly be made that New Orleans has more walkable areas per capita, if you know what I mean. It might also be a more traditional walkable area with your old houses (many of which are multi-family) close together and near the sidewalk with typical little corner stores and such.

Also New Orleans has "the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar Line which is the oldest surviving interurban-urban passenger rail transportation system in the United States".
http://www.asme.org/about-asme/histo...car-line-(1835)

But that other posters quote was kind of dumb, there is a lot more to the city than just the French Quarter and what he said was not really related to the topic.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
I would say Austin.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Being in the south and southwest is not what makes a Sunbelt city. It's the cities in the south and southwest historic or not that boom in sunbelt style growth After the 70s. New Orleans and Charleston are not Sunbelt cities.
Where did you get this from? The Sunbelt is an actual geographic region of the country which surely includes Charleston and New Orleans.

Sun Belt or Sunbelt, southern tier of the United States, focused on Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California, and extending as far north as Virginia.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Su...1:SunBelt-full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City