Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM

178 posts, read 419,293 times

Advertisements

seattle and chicago and san fran and philly and boston and nyc

Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
NORTH AMERICA

1: Chicago, IL

Sears Tower, Trump Tower and John Hancock Tower all in my top 5 favorite towers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20...om_skydeck.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:On...Windy_City.jpg

2: New York City, NY (Pre New World Trade Center)

Empire State Building is truly a unique well known tower. You show a picture of the ESB to anyone in America ages 10+ and they know what city this building is in. However after the World Trade Center complex is built NYC and Chi switch places. 2 WTC is probably gonna be my favorite once its built
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NY...f_the_Rock.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NY...rama_edit2.jpg

3: Toronto, ON

Take a drive down the Gardiner Expressway and will be amazed by the view of the CN Tower and the rest of downtown's skyscrapers and the newly built lakefront towers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:To...rom_Island.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Be...ntoatnight.png

4: Atlanta, GA

From Buckhead to Midtown to Downtown this city has truly amazing skyline'S. Bank of America Tower is truly a great skyscraper and i love the unique architecture of all the buildings. ATL is defiantly the capital of the South
FileARLINGTON ATLANTA DAY SKYLINE 1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:1 Symphony Tower.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5: Vancouver, BC

After they new roof of the BC Place and all the amazing looking Condos with the mountains in the background is truly a stunning skyline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Va..._dusk_pano.jpg
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bc+pl...1t:429,r:3,s:0

6: Monterrey, NL

A city full of some very unique looking buildings and the Unidad Bridge to top it off. However its a Latin American skyline so all the buildings are scattered throughout the city
File:PUENTE11.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:CNCI y CA.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7: Mexico City, DF

Another Latin American skyline but still has some interesting looking buildings alot of old historic towers with a few newer towers.
File:CIUDAD MEXICO, DF.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Ciudad De Mexico.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8: Los Angeles, CA

Im actually a really big fan of the Office building of Downtown LA. Especially the US Bank Tower. I also really do like the glass towers too
Fileowntownplazala.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Bunker Hill Downtown Los Angeles.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9: Philadelphia, PA

Honestly i don't like the location of the Comcast Center its a great tower but i was a huge fan of the Philadelphia skyline when it was dominated by the One and Two Liberty Place.
File:Liberty place.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Philadelphia City Hall (from Art Museum).JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10: Minneapolis, MN

Have to throw in my city in the list. A really under rated skyline. My favorite is the AT&T Tower small but truly unique (2nd Link). I really love all the glass buildings with the Tan colored Wells Fargo Center in the Middle
File:MinneapolisSkyline.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Tower_(Minneapolis)

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
US only:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Seattle

After that, there are several that have positives and negatives and are all pretty closely ranked in my book: Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Philly and LA.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Boston-1975, opps it's still the same,

Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
My favorites are:

Denver: It's where I am from, and while there are cites with larger and more impressive skylines, there will never be a city with a "better" skyline.

Seattle: Very nice setting skyline from just about any angle.

San Diego: Similar to Seattle. Looks good from most directions.

San Francisco: I loathe the Transamerica Pyramid, but as a whole, San Francisco is a post-card ready skyline. Very impressive.

New York City: It is hard to argue against this one.

Chicago: Or this one.

Minneapolis: A very nice and impressive skyline.

Los Angeles: Often criticized for being too small for a city of its size. Rightly so, I suppose. But that doesn't meant that it is not a nice collection of high-rises in its own right. The view from Dodgers stadium at night is very appealing. Just watch your back as you cross the parking lot!

Kansas City: Like Denver, there are several more impressive skylines than KC. I just like KC, it's nice looking with a good mix of old and new. Well, relatively new.

Indianapolis: Not an overly impressive skyline, just a nicely balanced one.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
My top 10 Favorites?

Miami
Seattle
Houston
Minneapolis
L.A.
Charlotte
San Diego
Nashville
Orlando (It's Home. I Like our 400 footers)
Tampa

Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 PM

422 posts, read 815,722 times
Love it when someone who has traveled and captured the essence of the place gives an analysis of their opinion. Even if I didn't agree, I enjoyed reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
You should see an aerial of Jacksonville's downtown. It's got more surface parking lots per capita than anywhere because city leaders in the 70s and 80s literally bulldozed dozens and dozens of blocks of dense development, all for "Urban Renewal." Only now are city leaders regretting it and imposing regulations on surface parking lots (and banning them). The South in general is struggling because it has demolished much of its good development and re-adaptable development built before zoning and subdivision regulations, and now new development must conform to idiotic laws and regulations. That poses a problem.

Anyway, my ranking would go like this:

1) Lower Manhattan of the 1930s from any perspective
2) Seattle from Puget Sound or from Capitol Hill
3) Chicago from Cabrini Green or from John Hancock Tower
4) Boston from MIT (Cambridge)
5) Los Angeles aerial from the SW
6) San Francisco from the Bay Bridge or from Nob Hill or Mount Sutro
7) Central City Philly from either the Schuylkill River south of Cira Center or from the Southside
8) Atlanta looking south from Buckhead toward Midtown/Downtown (gotta love the spires and average height)
9) Houston from Medical Center
10) Miami from the Rusty Pelican (best shot of Miami by far)

Honorable Mentions:
11) Dallas from the West so Uptown and Downtown can be panned (see above) at night only (I find Dallas slightly boring during the day)
12) Minneapolis
13) Pittsburgh from the West side of the river there (Ohio?)
14) Denver
15) San Diego at night or early evening (see my opinion of Dallas)
16) St. Louis aerial from West End to capture a line of old highrises all the way to downtown
17) Kansas City aerial from the SW toward Country Club Plaza to capture the same concept as in STL
18) Cleveland
19) Detroit of the 1930s aerial from the (Midtown?) area
20) Las Vegas (have to throw it in there because it is stunning from a distance or looking "down the strip...but to me a skyline is not a skyline without some signature corporate office towers thrown in)

Semi-honorable mentions go to Baltimore, Indy, Charlotte, Austin, Columbus, and Portland.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
My opinion.

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. San Fran
5. Pittsburgh
6. Seattle
7. Miami
8. Boston
9. Minneapolis
10. Atlanta

Next would be Houston, LA, Dallas, Atlanta. Other cities up there are Charlotte, Cleveland, Cincinnati, San Diego, Portland, Jersey City, Kansas City, Honolulu... damn there are so many great skylines in this country it is hard to choose just a few.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM

174 posts, read 640,119 times
Doesn't need 10. Only Chicago & New York have prestige skylines, and they're not as majestic as Hong Kong & Singapore.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
10 Best (No order):

Seattle
Chicago
New York
Toronto
Dubai
Chongqing
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Seoul
Tokyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City