Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:07 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,021 times

Advertisements

USA
NYC
Chicago
SF
Seattle
Miami
Honolulu
LA
Philly
Pittsburg
Boston

World
Hong Kong
NYC
Chicago
Tokyo
Shanghai
Dubai
SF
Sydney
Seattle
Toronto

Old 03-18-2011, 05:14 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,777 times
Only 5 for each.

Most favorite - because they vary with architectural style and height:

Seattle (yeah, I'm biased)
New York (both CBDs)
Philadelphia
Charlotte
Boston (it's like a mini Lower Manhattan)

Least favorite and reasons:

San Francisco (it's a shame the TransAmerica Pyramid is here because the rest of the city's towers look the same height as each other)
San Diego (for a metro area as large as it is, the skyline is small and short (yes I know why), and the two tallest look like each other but not really)
Dallas (almost nothing but tall but boxy buildings. New York's Chase Manhattan Plaza would be perfect here)
Phoenix (short and looks like the same height)
San Jose (short and looks like the same height)

Old 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
It's #1 in my book:
  1. Philly
  2. Kansas City
  3. Pittsburgh
  4. Cincinnati
  5. St. Louis
  6. Minneapolis
  7. Cleveland
  8. Portland
  9. Atlanta
  10. Baltimore
  11. Nashville
As you can see I'm more in to the old school look, BTW if NYC had it's skyline from the 1930's it would be #1 on this list.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200$sx900$s and weights 1448$sKB.

hmm, strange

Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM

252 posts, read 493,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
Only 5 for each.

New York (both CBDs)
Philadelphia
Charlotte
Charlotte in the top 5 for architectural variety? Someone needs to get out more. One can count on one hand how many towers (15+ stories) uptown has from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. As far as height, the city doesn't stand out either; one tower above 800ft. and one above 700ft. Boston is questionable too.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,576 times
Quote:
Only 5 for each.

New York (both CBDs)
Philadelphia
Charlotte

Least favorite and reasons:

San Francisco (it's a shame the TransAmerica Pyramid is here because the rest of the city's towers look the same height as each other)
San Diego (for a metro area as large as it is, the skyline is small and short (yes I know why), and the two tallest look like each other but not really)
Dallas (almost nothing but tall but boxy buildings. New York's Chase Manhattan Plaza would be perfect here)
Phoenix (short and looks like the same height)
San Jose (short and looks like the same height)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Charlotte in the top 5 for architectural variety? Someone needs to get out more. One can count on one hand how many towers (15+ stories) uptown has from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. As far as height, the city doesn't stand out either; one tower above 800ft. and one above 700ft. Boston is questionable too.

I agree with Unity77. How is Charlotte on the same list as New York and Seattle?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
the same way that ny isn't top 2 solidified on a lot of ppl's lists here.

it doesn't add up. charlotte should not be in this thread at all period. sorry.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,777 times
Ah! A debate. Although Charlotte isn't as tall overall or as dense as others, it has some very interesting towers, including:

Bank of America Corporate Center
Duke Energy Center
One Wells Fargo Center
121 West Trade

I just went to Emporis.com to select these examples. The first listed, the tallest in the city, reminds of L.A.'s US Bank Tower and the others somewhat resemble a few Seattle towers. Anyway, like my first post said, Charlotte's towers vary in architectural design from one to another.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Ah! A debate. Although Charlotte isn't as tall overall or as dense as others, it has some very interesting towers, including:

Bank of America Corporate Center
Duke Energy Center
One Wells Fargo Center
121 West Trade

I just went to Emporis.com to select these examples. The first listed, the tallest in the city, reminds of L.A.'s US Bank Tower and the others somewhat resemble a few Seattle towers. Anyway, like my first post said, Charlotte's towers vary in architectural design from one to another.
Charlotte as one of the best of all times?? I've lived in Charlotte and then Denver and now Minneapolis. I miss the place and I think it has a great, modern skyline, but honestly it needs to pass cities like Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and few others before it gains a rep for having one of the best skylines of all time. Rank them however you want, but I totally disagree.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Geez...some people on this thread do not realize that....THIS IS OPINION BASED.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. San Francisco
5. Philadelphia
6. Los Angeles
7. Seattle
8. Houston
9. Dallas
10. Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City