Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times

Advertisements

whats the most boring state you have ever visited, and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times
Of the ones I've visited I'd say South Dakota is pretty boring until you get to the black hills area. North Carolina also isn't especially exciting in my opinion. Too cold to be the south but too warm to be the north. Also it has a lot of sprawl.

Iowa I expected to be boring but in the northeast portion of the state, where I was, it was actually quite scenic, especially along the Mississippi, and the people were very nice and down to earth.

Of the ones that I haven't been to but I assume are pretty boring are Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, and Oklahoma, just because they are flat, have no big cities, and are mostly farm land.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
whats the most boring state you have ever visited, and why?
Iowa

I guess it was the long drive to Chicago through endless corn fields that did it.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
There are no boring states only boring folks. There's always something to do and places to see no matter where you go...however if you are making me choose than I pick Kentucky, when your driving down I-65 between Louisville and the Border, it's very boring. There seems to be nothing but small towns. Bowling Green and Elizabethtown are the only 2 cities I can think of that offer something to eat or drink, or at least something to look at.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Georgia, for the ones i've visited. As far as one that looks boring, have to say Montana. I mean WTF is there anyway?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Of the ones I've visited I'd say South Dakota is pretty boring until you get to the black hills area. North Carolina also isn't especially exciting in my opinion. Too cold to be the south but too warm to be the north. Also it has a lot of sprawl.

Iowa I expected to be boring but in the northeast portion of the state, where I was, it was actually quite scenic, especially along the Mississippi, and the people were very nice and down to earth.

Of the ones that I haven't been to but I assume are pretty boring are Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, and Oklahoma, just because they are flat, have no big cities, and are mostly farm land.
Kentucky has 2 metros with 500K+ people and one of them (louisville) has 1.2 million people. Omaha has 500K people, Oklahoma has 2 metros with 1 million plus people.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
North Carolina also isn't especially exciting in my opinion. Too cold to be the south but too warm to be the north. Also it has a lot of sprawl.
"Too cold to be the south but too warm to be the north"? What in the world???

NC has mountains, a mostly pristine coastline, and midsized to small cities that pretty much run the gamut in terms of variety. Seems to me that you have very, very little experience with the state overall.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
I have visited Georgia and Alabama and these states were boring. As far as looks boring I would say: Mississippi, Kentucky, Iowa, Idaho, Utah, the Dakotas, Wyoming and Oklahoma!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I have visited Georgia and Alabama and these states were boring.
What all did you do in those states?

Unless one has extensive experience throughout most of a particular state, I fail to see how one can call the entire state "boring." Maybe it was just the parts you visited, but that doesn't speak for the entire state.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What all did you do in those states?

Unless one has extensive experience throughout most of a particular state, I fail to see how one can call the entire state "boring." Maybe it was just the parts you visited, but that doesn't speak for the entire state.

I always get a chuckle out of these "most boring" state threads because Oklahoma always makes them. Funny thing is that according to scientists and ecologists Oklahoma is one of only 4 states that have more than 10 level III "ecoregions" in the state. The other three are Alaska, California, and Texas.

Oklahoma is much smaller geographically than these other three states so while Oklahoma is "most boring" on these threads, according to scientists it is also the most "diverse" state in the USA when one considers the number of ecoregions per square mile.

I agree with akhenaton. Every state has some places that are beautiful and unique. Every state has some places that are pretty mundane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City