Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

I have driven across Nebraska numerous times in the past 30 years. Driving from west to east on I-80, it's really neat. You see farms, farm animals including the cute little babies, then Lincoln, and finally Omaha, which is as urban as many of the eastern cities. Not boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Some of us introverts equate boring = peace. It's all in what you're looking for.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,928 times
Alabama or Mississippi, they both tie in the boringness magnitude.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
Scenery/Geographical features could make or break the "awesome factor" for me, but at the same time the people and activities there could kick it up a notch.
Endless, quiet desert-mountain areas of SE CA, NV, S.Utah and Western CO are all very appealing to me.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I can name boring looking states, but no state I've visited was ever boring to me and if I was bored; it's due to the people I hung out with or I was just being boring.

I remember I went to Odessa, TX and had one of the best times of my life; I had more fun on that one occasion than I ever did in Houston.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I always get a chuckle out of these "most boring" state threads because Oklahoma always makes them. Funny thing is that according to scientists and ecologists Oklahoma is one of only 4 states that have more than 10 level III "ecoregions" in the state. The other three are Alaska, California, and Texas.

Oklahoma is much smaller geographically than these other three states so while Oklahoma is "most boring" on these threads, according to scientists it is also the most "diverse" state in the USA when one considers the number of ecoregions per square mile.

I agree with akhenaton. Every state has some places that are beautiful and unique. Every state has some places that are pretty mundane.
Oklahoma is not that boring but cali n arizona have more diverse geography

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
Idaho....I have to say.....

Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I always get a chuckle out of these "most boring" state threads because Oklahoma always makes them. Funny thing is that according to scientists and ecologists Oklahoma is one of only 4 states that have more than 10 level III "ecoregions" in the state. The other three are Alaska, California, and Texas.

Oklahoma is much smaller geographically than these other three states so while Oklahoma is "most boring" on these threads, according to scientists it is also the most "diverse" state in the USA when one considers the number of ecoregions per square mile.

I agree with akhenaton. Every state has some places that are beautiful and unique. Every state has some places that are pretty mundane.
Oklahoma is very boring for people who like urban environments. OKC and Tulsa are so sprawled they really don't even feel like cities. Plus the culture there is still very rural despite being metro areas of 1+ million. Eastern Oklahoma has some natural beauty, but most of the state, though varied, has little to offer in the way of real scenic beauty.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Of the ones I've visited I'd say South Dakota is pretty boring until you get to the black hills area. North Carolina also isn't especially exciting in my opinion. Too cold to be the south but too warm to be the north. Also it has a lot of sprawl.

Iowa I expected to be boring but in the northeast portion of the state, where I was, it was actually quite scenic, especially along the Mississippi, and the people were very nice and down to earth.

Of the ones that I haven't been to but I assume are pretty boring are Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, and Oklahoma, just because they are flat, have no big cities, and are mostly farm land.
Maybe you shouldn't make broad statements about places you've never been, because you know what they say about assuming things. Oklahoma is not just flat farmland. As a matter of fact there are 4 different mountain ranges in the state, and much of eastern side of the state is very wooded and has rolling hills, lakes and rivers. Also, there are big cities. The OKC metro area is about 1.3 million people. The Tulsa metro is about 1 million. Gee, I live in OK and I don't know a single person that is a farmer, or who lives anywhere near a farm.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 PM

379 posts, read 512,455 times
Probably Delaware. No one ever mentions it. No mountains, no defining landscape, no major cities, short coastline. Inland, nothing but chicken farms and sprawl development. Low taxes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City