Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will have the greater city proper population gains between DC and Atlanta?
DC 23 41.07%
Atlanta 33 58.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Here are some projections for the city proper of DC and Atlanta. What do you think the figures will really be?

Atlanta projected population:
2010: 538,640
2020: 599,670 (+61,030)
2030: 643,330 (+43,660)

“Over the next 20 years, the rate of growth will decrease from the 29 percent rate over the past 10 years to a rate of 19 percent. From 2010 to 2020, the city of Atlanta population is forecast to increase by 61,030, or 11.3 percent to 599,670,” the report reads. “From 2020 to 2030, the population is forecast to continue to increase by an additional 43,660 persons to 643,330 or 7.3 percent.”

City study projects Buckhead population will grow by 24,000 by 2030 | Reporter Newspapers

D.C. Population Projections over the next 20 years:
2010: 601,100
2020: 665,200 (+64,100)
2030: 714,100 (+48,900)

http://www.mwcog.org/uploads/pub-doc...0117203640.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
I believe they both will be about the same.. DC may pull out though

Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Good comparison. Kind of hard to say, Atlanta can annex, but I don't know if there is any surrounding territory that the city can viably annex. I think the infill potential in Atlanta is greater as well since it can build up in a way DC can't, but being that DC is already ahead, I predict that in 2020 it will still be ahead--although I don't know by how much.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I believe they both will be about the same.. DC may pull out though
Its amazing the type of growth Atlanta is expecting yet the local government isn't regulating it to the transit legs of the area. If they allow the growth in the area's without transit, the traffic is going to be unprecedented. D.C. is expecting major growth in the suburbs too but only on Metro, Marc, and VRE commuter train routes.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Its amazing the type of growth Atlanta is expecting yet the local government isn't regulating it to the transit legs of the area. If they allow the growth in the area's without transit, the traffic is going to be unprecedented. D.C. is expecting major growth in the suburbs too but only on Metro, Marc, and VRE commuter train routes.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. And this thread has nothing to do with the suburbs.

Atlanta BeltLine > Home

Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. And this thread has nothing to do with the suburbs.

Atlanta BeltLine > Home
I know all about the beltline. That is a wonderful project. Most of the predicted growth is outside of the route where the Beltline is being built though. You seem to be very angry. Just like in the Auburn thread, you don't really know what you are talking about. I was making an observation about the expected growth in the region compared to where transit will be around the city. I was saying most of that growth should be in the city and edge cities.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 PM

34 posts, read 90,333 times
Quote:
I know all about the beltline. That is a wonderful project. Most of the predicted growth is outside of the route where the Beltline is being built though. You seem to be very angry. Just like in the Auburn thread, you don't really know what you are talking about. I was making an observation about the expected growth in the region compared to where transit will be around the city. I was saying most of that growth should be in the city and edge cities.
Ofcourse not but thats the case for most growing metros including DC, so what's your point? This thread is talking about the city limits and both are growing in or very close to the city limits.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I am hardly angry, I'm just tired of all of these misinformed posts. I had no idea you were an Alabama fan. I am aware of the dynamics between the two, having several friends that graduated from there and Auburn.

And the growth in the City of Atlanta has been record-breaking since 2000. Not only is it now at its all time high population-wise, it is now leading the metro in percentage growth for the first time in many decades. No small feat.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,590 times
DC. Atlanta's growth is slowing down, and all it has going for it is being the "Black Mecca" which will only go soo far if jobs aren't pouring in like they were in the 90's. DC has a lot more going for it, being connected by rail with the north east corridor to cities like NYC & Boston, with actual high speed rail in the planning stages. Also being the seat of government, home to numerous military installations plus the Pentagon, plus smarter growth with new urbanism style developments instead of cookie cutter single family developments like DC's done for decades before the 90's, which still currently dominates Atlanta and it's bedroom community's style of developments.

I'll go so far as to predict that Atlanta & Georgia will start seeing a reduction in their population as employers pack up from cities like Atlanta to get away from the traffic problems, lousy schools, and high crime that plagues it.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
DC. Atlanta's growth is slowing down, and all it has going for it is being the "Black Mecca" which will only go soo far if jobs aren't pouring in like they were in the 90's. DC has a lot more going for it, being connected by rail with the north east corridor to cities like NYC & Boston, with actual high speed rail in the planning stages. Also being the seat of government, home to numerous military installations plus the Pentagon, plus smarter growth with new urbanism style developments instead of cookie cutter single family developments like DC's done for decades before the 90's, which still currently dominates Atlanta and it's bedroom community's style of developments.

I'll go so far as to predict that Atlanta & Georgia will start seeing a reduction in their population as employers pack up from cities like Atlanta to get away from the traffic problems, lousy schools, and high crime that plagues it.
This is beyond ridiculous, and smacks of nothing but wishful thinking from yet another misguided malcontent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City