Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Urban
Denver 19 8.09%
Minneapolis 32 13.62%
Pittsburgh 80 34.04%
Seattle 104 44.26%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Pittsburgh
Minneapolis
Seattle
Denver
This answer is nearly three years old, yet it remains the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Bahaha. I'm "seriously cherrypicking" but you send me links to areas with smalls strips of urban developments. The good majority of Seattle is suburban. Let's not try to kid ourselves.
Small strips? Did you actually walk around any of those areas? Greenlake is the only one that fits the "small strip" bill. The rest are decent-sized urban neighborhoods.

Also, the significant majority of Seattle housing units are multi-family - that does not fit the bill of a suburban city with a few "small urban strips". Outside of Downtown (which includes multiple districts in itself - Downtown Core, Belltown, Pioneer Square, Westlake) there is Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, South Lake Union, First Hill, Inner Ballard, and the U District, which are all full 3-dimensional urban neighborhoods. Places like Georgetown, Fremont, Greenwood, Columbia City, Alaska Junction, Admiral Junction, and many other areas also have highly walkable, urban portions. I think you underestimate Seattle's core and just how much more impressive and urban it is than Pittsburgh's - it is a large, urban area with multiple urban downtown districts and adjacent inner neighborhoods that is around 3 X 3 miles.

I'm not claiming Seattle is Boston, SF, or Philly. But it is the most urban of these four, in my opinion. Pittsburgh may have a more cohesive urban fabric, since Seattle is more of a collage, but Seattle wins in other regards. Much denser, more vibrant, bigger, and more bustling downtown with a high residential population, stronger and more active adjacent urban inner neighborhoods, and way more urban nodes/outer neighborhoods throughout the City.

Last edited by orzo; 12-11-2013 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM

164 posts, read 257,019 times
Dense development ≠ urban development. Look at Dubai. Walkability, transit, aesthetics and local character, access to parks and recreation zones, availability of services, interesting neighborhood, presence of 24-hour establishments matter just as much or more.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
Dense development ≠ urban development. Look at Dubai. Walkability, transit, aesthetics and local character, access to parks and recreation zones, availability of services, interesting neighborhood, presence of 24-hour establishments matter just as much or more.
Are you claiming Seattle doesn't have those things? It has the highest walkscore and highest transit ridership of any of these cities. There are also plenty of interesting neighborhoods, access to parks/recreation, and availability of services. None of these cities are 24-hour cities by any stretch.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Pittsburgh seems to have a better, more traditional urban fabric. Doesn't necessarily mean it's more "urban" though.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pittsburgh seems to have a better, more traditional urban fabric. Doesn't necessarily mean it's more "urban" though.
I agree. That's one of the area where Pittsburgh handily wins - consistency of urban fabric (along with urban bones). However, Seattle's urban areas are much more urban, dense, vibrant, and there's just a lot more cumulative urban areas because it's a bigger city.

Last edited by orzo; 12-11-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok, and before you were saying Seattle is the way it is because it wasn't "planned" like other cities. Yes a developer/builder needs a "plan" to build something but weren't you talking about city/urban planning? Weren't you inferring that zero lot development in older cities were the result of "planning" as in city/urban planning?

Everything isn't planned the same way it always been at all. As a supposed "professional" in the field I would think you would know that. Cities weren't planned a 100 years ago like the are today.

This is the quote I'm referring to, what are you even saying here? It sounds like you're saying Seattle isn't as urban because it wasn't "planned" to be as in there wasn't any city/urban planning back then and that is the reason it's built like it is.

Seattle was planned just like every other city was. When I say planned by the way, I'm not talking about planning the whole city at one time. I'm talking about planning a neighborhood one by one which every city has done. The thing we must remember is the difference is the car. It's the problem. The points people are making about the changing in development based on the car is what is making these new neighborhoods less urban.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Seattle was planned just like every other city was. When I say planned by the way, I'm not talking about planning the whole city at one time. I'm talking about planning a neighborhood one by one which every city has done. The thing we must remember is the difference is the car. It's the problem. The points people are making about the changing in development based on the car is what is making these new neighborhoods less urban.
You're contradicting what you said earlier now. Seattle being less "urban" has mainly to do when it grew than anything related to "planning".

Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
The polls are right
Seattle
Pitsburgh
Minneapolis
Denver

Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Probably Seattle. While a lot of it is new urbanism type developments, it's still very walkable and urban in it's core. However, outside of this, it's suburban with small urban nodes scattered. It doesn't have the continuous urban environment you see in cities like Philly, Chicago, or SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City