Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Boston 34 21.66%
Philadelphia 123 78.34%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 08:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Please grade these two cities on how instantly recognizable their skyline is.

Example: If you received a postcard from someone who visited these cities, but neither city name was listed, which unmistakably would be recognize first in your eyes. Feel free to list iconic buildings or other notable structures.

Pictures are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 09:05 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Philly

Old 04-18-2022, 09:19 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Boston because of Pru and Hancock. Tbh, idek a signature Philly building.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:36 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston because of Pru and Hancock. Tbh, idek a signature Philly building.
Are you serious? Philadelphia City Hall... Among the most famous City Hall buildings in the nation.

To address the main question, good comparison, but I'd say Philadelphia has a stronger case due to City Hall and the Liberty Place towers. Plus landmarks like The Art Museum, Boathouse Row, Independence Hall, etc. are very recognizable Philly sites.

Comparing just skylines, Philadelphia's is better and more varied (IMO).

Last edited by cpomp; 04-18-2022 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-18-2022, 09:43 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
I'll get this out the way first: Philly has the larger & nicer skyline of the two, by a not-small margin.

That said, Boston is easily more recognizable. Why? because it's a generally 'low-rise' skyline with two large towers rising up (seemingly randomly) that are in different spots in the skyline, one of which being a somewhat iconic ugly box. You can recognize it anywhere.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:45 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Philadelphia. Boston's skyline is unremarkable and the only reason I recognize it is because its on the water.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:54 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I'll get this out the way first: Philly has the larger & nicer skyline of the two, by a not-small margin.

That said, Boston is easily more recognizable. Why? because it's a generally 'low-rise' skyline with two large towers rising up (seemingly randomly) that are in different spots in the skyline, one of which being a somewhat iconic ugly box. You can recognize it anywhere.
3 towers now, not 2. I prefer Boston skyline. Philly seems to small for a city it’s size and too clumped together. The expanse of Bostons is more impressive than the height of Philly, to me.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:57 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Are you serious? Philadelphia City Hall... Among the most famous City Hall buildings in the nation.

To address the main question, good comparison, but I'd say Philadelphia has a stronger case due to City Hall and the Liberty Place towers. Plus landmarks like The Art Museum, Boathouse Row, Independence Hall, etc. are very recognizable Philly sites.

Comparing just skylines, Philadelphia's is better and more varied (IMO).
Bostons city hall is more unique by a wide margin and I also don’t think the Philadelphia City Hall is in the skyline. Like I don’t see it when I approach. If a building exists does that mean it’s a part of the collective skyline?

Old 04-18-2022, 10:01 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
City Hall is pretty covered up or outshined on the skyline-level these days.

This is what I’d consider Philly’s most iconic angle, and William Penn is nowhere to be seen: https://flic.kr/p/2eA4ArQ

Old 04-18-2022, 10:05 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times
As someone not connected with either city I can recognize Philly easier. It's both of the Liberty Place towers and the Comcast center that pop out immediately. It always takes me a couple seconds longer to get Boston as most of the buildings are less descript for me. Once I pull out the Prudential and Hancock Towers I recognize Boston. Just not as quick as Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City