Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Boston 34 21.66%
Philadelphia 123 78.34%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:08 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
From the South or Southwest an ultrawide lenses is needed to fit Philadelphia's skyline expanse (including University City). Similar to the picture Duderino just posted, but extend river to river, plus U City. And I am not dogging Boston's skyline, I just find Philadelphia's more impressive and recognizable, but agree to disagree.

And Philadelphia's City Hall is the world's largest free standing masonry building, a unique trait. And (as you know) features the prominent 23' statue of William Penn at the top.

And I included Philadelphia City Hall because it's over 500' tall, and the thread said feel free to include prominent or iconic buildings, and many skyline angles and post-cards feature Philadelphia's iconic City Hall.
I’m not dogging the skyline it’s till nice it’s just not as expansive and I find the buildings to be a little more monotonous.

its obvious more people recognize it but it’s just shocking to me- I know Philly’s skyline well and sometimes confuse it with Atlanta until I see the peach tree plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 12:09 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think basically each of the big three towers being very different stylistically is awesome. The Fido area is pretty weak and crowded but damn if there aren’t some unique buildings there too most notably the federal reserve building, R2D2 building, and Two International place. All of those building seem a good deal more distinctive than what I’ve seen in Philly.
I think each city's tallest towers are pretty darn distinctive. They were all designed to be "signature" and are all pretty recognizable--to me at least as a skyline nerd.

I think it just comes down to what a person values more, height or expanse.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:20 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:

If I ranked skylines it’s be like NYC CHI LA SEA MIA BOS ATL PHI. It doesn’t do much for me.idk this makes me feel crazy because I don’t see it at all… but everyone else does.
Quote:

its obvious more people recognize it but it’s just shocking to me- I know Philly’s skyline well and sometimes confuse it with Atlanta until I see the peach tree plaza.
Since you brought up Atlanta, that skyline loses points for me because it lacks the density that Philadelphia and Boston have, which I consider an important skyline trait. And that is the case for most "newer" skylines (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.).

Anyways back on topic before the ATL police show up.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:34 PM

A repost of this image- taken by me personally. Cannot be found elsewhere online.

More recognizable skyline: Boston or Philadelphia?-f283183e-1f6b-4b91-b308-e0b64e5738ef.jpeg

Old 04-18-2022, 01:01 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
A repost of this image- taken by me personally. Cannot be found elsewhere online.

Attachment 236334
Is that from Arlington?

Old 04-18-2022, 01:15 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
I've been to Boston and I would not be able to recognize it if someone showed me a picture. To me, it could easily be mistaken for any somewhat large city on a body of water.

I wouldn't be able to recognize Philly either. Though I would probably be able to guess it in a few tries because its skyline is so big and dense.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Is that from Arlington?
Border area of Arlington and Lexington.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I actually think Boston has one of the most underwhelming skyline for a legacy city it's size.
Really? I'll admit that it's hard to get all of it in one photo because it's vaguely built in a straight line, but the angles that get it show that it's pretty darn expansive:

https://flic.kr/p/2n9DVq2

^Vaguely 3-3.5miles from the tower all the way on the right to the one far in the back on the left.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I picked Philadelphia. I actually think Boston has one of the most underwhelming skyline for a legacy city it's size.
yeah maybe in like 2007...

Old 04-18-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Really? I'll admit that it's hard to get all of it in one photo because it's vaguely built in a straight line, but the angles that get it show that it's pretty darn expansive:

https://flic.kr/p/2n9DVq2

^Vaguely 3-3.5miles from the tower all the way on the right to the one far in the back on the left.
This is easily surprising poll regarding Boston I've ever seen on C-D. The margin is crazy to me. I'm triple-checking the skyline over here.

But alas even that image you posted misses a lot of the skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City