Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Nah the fine cuisines aren't necessarily the "hot" places to go. They are judging based on food excellence, not how hip or cool some place is. I mean a lot of places where the food is excellent, the dining scene is rather stuffy. The food in LA is great though, no worries. I just don't think they have been doing the "high end" cuisine as much as other cities as of late. Why this is, I am not sure, but the guy from Michelin stating that isn't a revelation this has been going on for quite awhile, probably since the sell out of Wolfgang Puck LoL. I think instead of opening restaurants, he is now into acting...opening sub par restaurants in Tulsa, and staring as the Chef Smurf in the upcoming Smurfs 3D.
French cuisine has been dead in LA for years. Why? Who knows and who cares. When it comes to food(not just high end, but every budget), LA slaps around most cities for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Including suburbs/metro cities lik Aventura, Sunny Isles, Coconut Grove which is part of the City of Miami, Fort Lauderdale etc.. Miami is at 29. Not including Broward county and just ones listed in Maimi-Dade Miami is at 25.
Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, Aventura, Sunny Isles all are very close to the actual City Limits of Miami and Miami Beach and Coconut Grove is in the city limits of Miami so at least add those two to the Miami count so a minimum of 17.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
2010 Top cities 4 diamond Restaraunts U.S.,Canada, Mexico.
http://aaa.biz/approved/Diamond_Awar...estaurants.pdf

1. New York 33
2. Las Vegas/Henderson 29
3. Toronto 22
4. Chicagoland 16
5. Los Angeles Area 15
6. Miami/Miami Beach 15
7. Phoenix/Scottsdale 15
8. Boston 13
9. San Francisco 12
The Bay Area has 24 restaurants in this ranking.

And many of our most world famous restaurants arent even included.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area has 24 restaurants in this ranking.

And many of our most world famous restaurants arent even included.

All of the ranked restaurants are overrated and way over priced.......................

Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
All of the ranked restaurants are overrated and way over priced.......................
Yeah Ive eaten at many of those Bay Area restaurants and while good-some are nothing to write home about, I can think of many other restaurants in town not included in this list that are way better.

But then that's the nature of restaurant rankings I suppose, to see the results of that organization's findings.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
AAA rankings are ridiculous. Quite a few mediocre hotels restaurants get the four diamond designation, and no truly great restaurant would brag about it.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:21 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Lol in portlands deffense pacific northwest is verry casual we have a verry laid back lifestyle. Are rich dont ride in limos they usualy drive themselves . I know most resteraunts in the northwest dont reqire ties and jackets. Just a casual area not many 4 diamond places .

Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,411 times
on that list LA Area has 21 not 15

Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Funny that Atlanta and Dallas scored the same because when I moved to Dallas from Atlanta and people would ask me about the restaurants I'd always say "The restaurant scene seems the same to me". I guess I'm a pretty good judge in that subject.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
I am a chef, I have worked in the industry for 20 years and helped open a restaurant that was nominated for a Beard Award. I am comfortable in saying that the AAA list is nonsense and nobody in the industry cares about it. The Michelin Guide is also useless for the US, they don't have the resources to do more than a few cities and their rankings of the cities they do cover are odd at times. They are looking at it through the lens of European dining culture and don't understand that the rest of the world is different (even North America).

The reality is that there is no nationwide ranking of city dining scenes that is credible. A lot of it is opinion anyway.

The best you can do is add up all the Beard Award winners and nominees and compare that city by city but even that isn't truely accurate because there are a lot of regional awards and not all regions are created equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City