Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Dallas isn't centrally located in the way Chicago is, and Chicago already has a lot of the infrastructure in place. Dallas' airport is obviously more "impressive" than O'Hare, but that's only because it's the size of Manhattan. 7 non intersecting runways > 7 intersecting runways. But as Danny said, Chicago is much further ahead and centrally located. Texas can only do so much

Dallas is far more centrally located than Chicago. And if a centralized location was most important, Tulsa or some other city that sits near smack dab in the middle of the US would be a major logistics center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
How do you figure?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Dallas is far more centrally located than Chicago. And if a centralized location was most important, Tulsa or some other city that sits near smack dab in the middle of the US would be a major logistics center.
How is Dallas far more centrally located than Chicago? Chicago is more centrally located for international flights (they go over the North Pole into Europe/Asia), has way more Class A rail lines, and also has a seaport. If anything, Houston is the southern Chicago geographically. Dallas is a more central US version of Atlanta.

Still don't agree with the thread title, btw. It's one of the nation's premier logistics and distribution hubs, but definitely isn't THE premier.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

Still don't agree with the thread title, btw. It's one of the nation's premier logistics and distribution hubs, but definitely isn't THE premier.
I never said Dallas was THE premier hub. if you read the 1st post you will see that the question is are they taking the right steps towards that.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I never said Dallas was THE premier hub. if you read the 1st post you will see that the question is are they taking the right steps towards that.
I did and even with the development, I'm not seeing it (especially when I looked at the job numbers).

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Geez, stop being a homer......

Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I did and even with the development, I'm not seeing it (especially when I looked at the job numbers).
then that is my answer.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 AM

515 posts, read 368,179 times
I congrat Dallas for this ambition

Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times
Very ambitious project for Dallas. This could really help Dallas to become a rising power along with Houston. Dallas is more centrally located than Chicago anyways. From Dallas you can go anywhere in the West, SE, Midwest very easily.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Very ambitious project for Dallas. This could really help Dallas to become a rising power along with Houston. Dallas is more centrally located than Chicago anyways. From Dallas you can go anywhere in the West, SE, Midwest very easily.
Hmmm,

I always thought that Chicago was slightly closer to the center of the population for the US, but saw an animation of the progress of the center of Population and found that that point has been progressing in a south westerly direction and at last count was somewhere near OKLahoma (much closer to Dallas than Chicago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City