Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think it should also be located near an a major air hub. It is much harder/more expensive for most the country to access Kansas than it would be Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, NYC, etc...
It doesn't need to be a major air hub already. It will become a major air hub.

Capitals usually move away from bigger cities.
I would disqualify anything over 500k people. NYC and Chicago are most definitely out in my book. Also, the reputation Chicago has already gotten for.....lets say interesting politics, I don't want to make it more colorful.

I am still for a capital in the heartland. Kansas or Nebraska would be my top choices although I could be swayed to Missouri because of the rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM

43 posts, read 76,887 times
Either New York, Boston, or Philadelphia. They have the necessary power and historic value (Boston and Philly especially) to house the capital.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Jacksonville FL or St Louis MO

Consolidated City-County or Independent City
Good location with some infrastructure in place but plenty of room to grow without detracting from other economies

Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago-Morph View Post
Either New York, Boston, or Philadelphia. They have the necessary power and historic value (Boston and Philly especially) to house the capital.
Yeah, I forgot to add Philadelphia.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Just do like other countries and put main economic city with main fed city, NYC.
Or, if DC was destroyed, good time to break up the country altogether into smaller countries. You could have SF on the west coast and have a coastal country like Chile. Chicago in Midwest. Atlanta in Southeast. Denver in the Mountain West. NYC in NE.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Jacksonville FL or St Louis MO

Consolidated City-County or Independent City
Good location with some infrastructure in place but plenty of room to grow without detracting from other economies
you are on my page

people are talking about picking a respected city. We don't want a city that is respected for other things. It is the nations capital, we want it to be respected for that. and Frankly, it is the US capital it will be respected even it is placed in Walla Walla.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Just do like other countries and put main economic city with main fed city, NYC.
Or, if DC was destroyed, good time to break up the country altogether into smaller countries. You could have SF on the west coast and have a coastal country like Chile. Chicago in Midwest. Atlanta in Southeast. Denver in the Mountain West. NYC in NE.
lol you are looking to start a war, SF and LA would be at odds for the capital so I think it would revert to Sacramento.

I can see Chicago, Denver and Atlanta in their respective areas, but what about the west south central states of Texas, OK, LA and AR? I would pick NOLA to avoid the Houston/ Dallas war

Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol you are looking to start a war, SF and LA would be at odds for the capital so I think it would revert to Sacramento.

I can see Chicago, Denver and Atlanta in their respective areas, but what about the west south central states of Texas, OK, LA and AR? I would pick NOLA to avoid the Houston/ Dallas war
NOLA is in the southeast. If anything were to happen to D.C., I think it'd be cool if we separated into larger states with regional capitals.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I say Detroit, it needs a shot in the arm

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
NOLA is in the southeast. If anything were to happen to D.C., I think it'd be cool if we separated into larger states with regional capitals.

I am talking about these. NOLA is either south central or west south central. not south east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City