Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Personally, I like B'ham. However, the metro area is VERY small for a city of B'ham's size. So NO, metro B'ham is not comparable to Nashville, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Buffalo, Rochester, Richmond, etc. It just isn't... The city of B'ham (as you have shown in your pics) is beautiful even with its relatively small metro (and in my book, that's all that matters).
You call a metro of 1.1 million people small.

And it cant be compared the OKC, Richmond, Buffalo and Rochester, you cant be serious right?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
However, that shouldn't give anyone the audacity to judge a city and a state that THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN TO! I've known and I know alot of people (especially at A&M) that have chagned their views about Alabama. They said they like it although it's slow compared to their homes (most "out-of-staters" come from Chicago, NY, Detroit, St. Louis, etc.); also, they said WE ARE VERY COUNTRY, and they get a kick out of it too. Yeah, this is all I'm saying: JUST DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER! SN: At least the Birmingham MSA didn't deline by 7%, right?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post

And it cant be compared the OKC, Richmond, Buffalo and Rochester, you cant be serious right?.
IKR. Birmingham is more important than Rochester (I have family there; BHAM and the ROC are almost like day and night) and is on the same scale with Buffalo. Also, it's the SAME size as the New Orleans MSA! People need to stop second-guessing Birmingham and Alabama! That's all I've got to say!

Also, urbancharlotte said that the MSA is very small for Birmingham. ???????????? Birmingham is less than 20% of it's metro while Charlotte is more than 20% of its MSA. Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta, but has a MSA way smaller! Hmmmm.......

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Also, urbancharlotte said that the MSA is very small for Birmingham. ???????????? Birmingham is less than 20% of it's metro while Charlotte is more than 20% of its MSA. Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta, but has a MSA way smaller! Hmmmm.......
Do people really care about things like this? I don't mean to pick on A&M Bulldawg, I'm asking a legitimate question. Do people really care if a city has 200,000 and 1,000,000 in it's metro and another city has 350,000 and only 500,000 in its metro?

I personally don't. Cities are a product of their geography and the era in which they developed. In this regard, every city is a little different, and that's just fine. I often read posters who say things like "well that city only has a bigger population because it covers twice the area as this city..." In some cases it's true, but does anyone really lay awake at night worrying about things like this?

If you do, I'd love to hear why. I'm sure you have a legitimate reason for it. I just want to know what it is.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
However, that shouldn't give anyone the audacity to judge a city and a state that THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN TO! I've known and I know alot of people (especially at A&M) that have chagned their views about Alabama. They said they like it although it's slow compared to their homes (most "out-of-staters" come from Chicago, NY, Detroit, St. Louis, etc.); also, they said WE ARE VERY COUNTRY, and they get a kick out of it too. Yeah, this is all I'm saying: JUST DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER! SN: At least the Birmingham MSA didn't deline by 7%, right?
But 95% of the posters here probably have never been to the places they bash or praise. Again these are opinions and everybody in entitled to have one. Its not something to get bent out of shape over.

BTW, true we didnt decline by 7%, but growing by 7% over a decade isnt something to be all that thrilled about.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
IKR. Birmingham is more important than Rochester (I have family there; BHAM and the ROC are almost like day and night) and is on the same scale with Buffalo. Also, it's the SAME size as the New Orleans MSA! People need to stop second-guessing Birmingham and Alabama! That's all I've got to say!

People second guess this metro because we do a **** poor job marketing this area to the rest of the nation. Like it or not image is everything.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM

I agree! I'm not disputing your words, but people should get to know areas before they judge them. Hopefully, the mayor and other officials look at how the outside world views the area, so they can fix the things that are keeping the area from being like other PROSPEROUS METROS its size like Nashville and others.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:

B'ham 1.2 million; 6,100 sq/mi

OKC 1.2 million; 5,500 sq/mi

Richmond 1.2 million; 5,700 sq/mi

Buffalo 1.2 million; 2,900 sq/mi

Rochester 1.2 million; 3,700 sq/mi

I guess they can be compared if we ignore the fact the B'ham sprawls the most (and still doesn't have more people than the others).
Quote:
People second guess this metro because we do a **** poor job marketing this area to the rest of the nation. Like it or not image is everything.
It has very little to do with image. I personally like B'ham. I just happen to know that B'ham's metro area (not B'ham itself, just the metro) is very rural. I mean seriously, look at Jefferson county itself. Less than 700K people in a county of over 1,100 sq/mi. Compare that to the largest counties in Metro OKC, Nashville, Jacksonville, etc and see how B'ham looks then.

Now I am NOT knocking B'ham because the city itself is loaded with charm and character. In many ways, the city of B'ham is very comparable to the city of Charlotte. However, the metro is lacking. This is because the city of B'ham has not attracted the suburban growth like others have. Is this a bad thing? Not IMO.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM

First of all, Rochester isn't that big! It's smaller than Birmingham by 100,000+/-. Second of all, your post shows how those metros are indeed similar! Also, because Birmingham is the largest in Alabama, its economy goes a long way compared to other metros its size that are second, third, etc. in their states! CASE CLOSED!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Do people really care about things like this? I don't mean to pick on A&M Bulldawg, I'm asking a legitimate question. Do people really care if a city has 200,000 and 1,000,000 in it's metro and another city has 350,000 and only 500,000 in its metro?

I personally don't. Cities are a product of their geography and the era in which they developed. In this regard, every city is a little different, and that's just fine. I often read posters who say things like "well that city only has a bigger population because it covers twice the area as this city..." In some cases it's true, but does anyone really lay awake at night worrying about things like this?

If you do, I'd love to hear why. I'm sure you have a legitimate reason for it. I just want to know what it is.
I don't love it when people say their city is the Xth largest in the country, but in reality, the metro area is quite a bit smaller. It's deceptive. I see this the most from posters from: San Diego, Columbus, and San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City