Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has more to offer?
Pennsylvania 87 66.92%
Illinois 43 33.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, some of those liberal arts colleges, in both states, have a student body of about 10 students. That is an exaggeration, of course, but many of them are very small.

but highly prestigious; most are between 1,000 and 5,000; PA is a hot bed of exclusive and storied liberal arts and major universities

This also excludes many other quality insitutions in PA like Villanova, Duquense, Temple, Widener (A decent Law School), St Josephs, La Salle, etc. (I know there are additional schools in IL as well)

But on the college/university aspect PA is actually among the top in the US, honestly- that is no slight to IL but is another area where PA has strong roots, history, and a vast selection of very good schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
A year or 2 ago, US News and World Report's annual college publication included sections on different parts of the country, with sections like "Northeast," "West Coast," Midwest," and "Pennsylvania." I believe PA was the only state with its own dedicated section.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM

226 posts, read 646,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Care to elaborate?
The city has sucked the rest of the state dry economically, and has a history of corruption. When people think of Illinois, they AUTOMATICALLY think of Chicago, and are quick to correlate all of it's problems with the rest of Illinois.

In all technicality, outside of the Chicago Metropolitan Area, Illinois is a completely different world. Without Chicago, Illinois would be a much less-populated place, true. But the other cities in the state would have had a much better chance at expanding without Chicago hogging all of the attention, jobs, and financing.

My point is, Chicago has a monopoly in Illinois, and the other cities never had a fighting chance.

People will probably say, "Without Chicago, Illinois would be nothing, being we hold the largest population, and economically carry the rest of the state."

My response? Given time, the situation would correct itself, and cities like Peoria, Springfield, and Champaign would eventually pick up the slack. Leaving a much more competitive environment. We never had a say in the matter, and never ASKED for Chicago to "carry us" like the other cities are freeloaders. Chicago took on that roll, and sucked the rest of the state dry.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
The city has sucked the rest of the state dry economically, and has a history of corruption. When people think of Illinois, they AUTOMATICALLY think of Chicago, and are quick to correlate all of it's problems with the rest of Illinois.

In all technicality, outside of the Chicago Metropolitan Area, Illinois is a completely different world. Without Chicago, Illinois would be a much less-populated place, true. But the other cities in the state would have had a much better chance at expanding without Chicago hogging all of the attention, jobs, and financing.

My point is, Chicago has a monopoly in Illinois, and the other cities never had a fighting chance.

People will probably say, "Without Chicago, Illinois would be nothing, being we hold the largest population, and economically carry the rest of the state."

My response? Given time, the situation would correct itself, and cities like Peoria, Springfield, and Champaign would eventually pick up the slack. Leaving a much more competitive environment. We never had a say in the matter, and never ASKED for Chicago to "carry us" like the other cities are freeloaders. Chicago took on that roll, and sucked the rest of the state dry.
Yeah and we don't want you either.
But its not like we can split apart.
We care more about hammond, gary, racine, milwuakee then we do about peoria, springfield, or champaign.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post

Can't you say the same about NYC and upstate NY? How about St. Louis or Seattle with their respective states? There are a lot of states with one major city that dwarfs the rest in the state.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Can't you say the same about NYC and upstate NY? How about St. Louis or Seattle with their respective states? There are a lot of states with one major city that dwarfs the rest in the state.
Missouri has Kansas City in the western part which has more population than the city of St. Louis.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah and we don't want you either.
But its not like we can split apart.
We care more about hammond, gary, racine, milwuakee then we do about peoria, springfield, or champaign.
bye. We care more about St. Louis, Evansville, Nashville, and Indianapolis more than we care about Chicago.
And there is something that can be done about it. This is the United States, we live in a democracy. vote for it. If enough people vote for it. I'm sure there would be a way to split the state in two.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Missouri has Kansas City in the western part which has more population than the city of St. Louis.
but certainly STL hogs the attention. I'm just confused as to why you think Chicago brings down Illinois, when I (and most people I would assume) think the absolute opposite.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
but certainly STL hogs the attention. I'm just confused as to why you think Chicago brings down Illinois, when I (and most people I would assume) think the absolute opposite.
Have you ever been to the rest of the state? It's depressing really. Economically. Chicago is NOT an asset. More like a giant zit, that feeds us money, and won't go away.

It's like living at home with your parents because you have no other choice. Given the opportunity I'm sure we would tell Chicago to go take a hike. (Or we would take the hike) Either way, we want no affiliation with the place.

Residents of southern Illinois feel ignored politically and economically, which is the drawback to having the third largest city in the nation in the northern end of your state.

Last edited by bhj867; 03-02-2011 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
Then vote yourself away like you said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City