Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most popular in your city?
AT&T 17 33.33%
Verizon 18 35.29%
Sprint 5 9.80%
T-Mobile USA 7 13.73%
MetroPCS 1 1.96%
U.S. Cellular 0 0%
Other (please specify) 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times

Advertisements

For NYC/Long Island I'd say T-Mobile, almost everyone I know has or had T-Mobile at one point in time including myself.

iPhone > Android but T-Mobile > AT&T lol. My MyTouch was terrible, then I got the iPhone 4 which is thee best phone I've had but AT&T is the worst network I've ever been on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
For NYC/Long Island I'd say T-Mobile, almost everyone I know has or had T-Mobile at one point in time including myself.

iPhone > Android but T-Mobile > AT&T lol. My MyTouch was terrible, then I got the iPhone 4 which is thee best phone I've had but AT&T is the worst network I've ever been on.
T-Mobile doesn't exist anymore or wont soon enough, its now AT&T. So technically now everyone you know in New York & Long Island will have AT&T and not T-Mobile. Problem solved!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Almost everyone I know has AT&T or Sprint. The majority of those either have an iPhone or an EVO. Just 5 years ago everyone had T-Mobile or Nextel.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Honestly, AT&T is only the most "popular" because of the iPhone. Most people with the iPhone in major cities (particularly SF and NYC) complain A LOT about AT&T's craptastic service. Yes, the iPhone for people who own and love them is so good that they're willing to deal with the bad service quality.

I only have 1 friend with an iPhone that actually likes AT&T's service (and that's only because she never makes calls on it). Everyone else either deals with it, or can't wait to jump ship to VZW. I'll admit my friends are of the nerdy variety and aren't representative of an average sampling of the population...but I don't think their opinions are that far from most people's feelings on AT&T.

It's probably true that the poor service quality is also related to the iPhone (I'm not sure of the details, but I've read that there are issues caused by how the iPhone handles the switch between 2G and 3G, causing calls to be dropped often in these situations). But, even if that's true, most people would associate the issue with AT&T's service quality, and not with the phone (I would too).

I think outside of the major cities, AT&T's cell service isn't as big of an issue. But if you think AT&T is the top carrier because of the good they've done for their customers...you'd be mistaken. They had the iPhone for ~3 1/2 years. That was all they needed...and it was quite obvious that AT&T knew this, and milked it for as long as they could.

Now that the exclusivity deal has ended, I'll be interested to see how many (if many) convert. It'll be a gradual change I think, if it does happen, as most people will (smartly) wait until their 2-year contract ends before changing to avoid the huge early termination fees.

I'll just say I'm glad to be on Verizon, and I can count the number of dropped calls I've had in the past few years probably on one or two hands.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,513 times
I have a prepaid phone from T-Mobile. The only reason I picked it was because it was cheap and their rates seemed to be fair. A cell phone is nothing I use very excessively, I send 30 or 40 texts a month and place a few calls, that's it. So it seemed like a good deal.
Unfortunately their coverage is not very good. In many medium-sized towns in Northern Wisconsin I need to roam on different networks and there are plenty of areas where I don't have a signal at all. Driving to Seattle I didn't have a signal in most of North Dakota and Montana, my friend with Verizon did. Sometimes I loose signal when inside of huge buildings which never happens to my friend's phone either.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets over D.C. View Post
If you're in the hood then its Cricket or Virgin mobile
LMAO! Yea Cricket is the business! I have AT&T only because of the iPhone, which I love dearly along with all Apple products. iPod, and mainly iPhone, is what got me to buy a Mac also (now seriously considering an iPad2). Anyway, Since I've had both VZ and ATT, I'd say VZ has the better service........I'm just an Apple junkie.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,151 times
Definitely Sprint. It's all about the EVO's here in the DMV.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

187 posts, read 541,440 times
Metro is pretty common in Miami. Fairly cheap, $100/mo gets unlimited calls, sms, mms, emails, internet, free apps... There are some pockets where reception is rather bad though. You can be on the phone while in a car and suddenly lose signal.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
T-Mobile doesn't exist anymore or wont soon enough, its now AT&T. So technically now everyone you know in New York & Long Island will have AT&T and not T-Mobile. Problem solved!
When I first heard this new I was thrilled! I don't know why so many people complain about AT&T like that. It's really not THAT bad (since 07' I love and swear by them, I even had them while I worked for T-Mobile). Every provider has a fair share of dropped calls or complaints, but I think AT&T gets it's bad rep mostly from he say she say.

Furthermore when people say "Oh the customer Service for X is so superior to. . ." I aways question, does this mean my service is better because I DON'T have to call customer service? Lol

The last time I called AT&T was in July, I wanted to make sure I could get the iPhone 4 and still keep my unlimited data. That was in 2010! AT&T (soon with T-Mobile, thanks for your extra towers!) will crush the others

Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
When I first heard this new I was thrilled! I don't know why so many people complain about AT&T like that. It's really not THAT bad (since 07' I love and swear by them, I even had them while I worked for T-Mobile). Every provider has a fair share of dropped calls or complaints, but I think AT&T gets it's bad rep mostly from he say she say.

Furthermore when people say "Oh the customer Service for X is so superior to. . ." I aways question, does this mean my service is better because I DON'T have to call customer service? Lol

The last time I called AT&T was in July, I wanted to make sure I could get the iPhone 4 and still keep my unlimited data. That was in 2010! AT&T (soon with T-Mobile, thanks for your extra towers!) will crush the others
i too have at&t and think it's pretty great. great service and i don't have a problem with my bill, it suits me just fine.

in philly i def think it's number one. it's the only provider that gives you service on the subway. big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City